Author Topic: Car Crashes at Dutch Royal Parade  (Read 1931 times)

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Car Crashes at Dutch Royal Parade
« on: 30 April, 2009, 01:40:04 pm »
Video features extremely close call for a cyclist.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Car crash at Dutch Queen parade
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Re: Car Crashes at Dutch Royal Parade
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2009, 01:42:01 pm »
Very close call  :o

I wonder what it had hit before then?   It was already severely trashed as it headed for teh cyclist.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2009, 01:42:23 pm »
Interesting to note that the first responder was a policeman...

...on a bike.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »
I wonder what it had hit before then?

Some people, possibly.  Since there are 2 fatalities at least.  May have been a deliberate attack.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2009, 01:54:32 pm »
That cyclist looks quite like a cop/security (although differently dressed than the other cop who is shown)

Anyway, that person is well on the ball and the 'spidey sense' was on maximum tingle.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Regulator

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2009, 01:58:29 pm »
It's also interesting to note the looks of horror on the faces of the Royal Family on the bus.  They've obviously seen what went on before the short clip we see.

Green Party Councillor

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2009, 02:01:12 pm »
It's also interesting to note the looks of horror on the faces of the Royal Family on the bus.  They've obviously seen what went on before the short clip we see.

Yes, the car enters the clip with it's windscreen already smashed and it looks like a lot of the front end damage already done.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2009, 02:03:40 pm »
May have been hit by some sort of security vehicle to deflect its course?  Hence striking the monument. The cop on a bike seems to be taking evasive action pretty early on.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2009, 02:04:45 pm »

Yes, the car enters the clip with it's windscreen already smashed and it looks like a lot of the front end damage already done.

The picture on the Sky News site HERE confirms that. And is far more grim than the BBC site.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2009, 11:11:19 pm »
Just why does the BBC always feel it needs to "sanitise" something like this? Anything like this / riots / war etc should be shown warts and all.

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: 01 May, 2009, 08:55:36 am »
So it appears that the driver admitted trying to kill the Royal Family but won't be charged in respect of any of the deaths or injuries he caused as he has died from the injuries he received in the final crash.  I think it may be difficult for the families of those he affected to get closure on this.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
Any idea what the motivation was?  Just a nutter? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2009, 12:14:38 pm »
Any idea what the motivation was?  Just a nutter? 

Seems like it.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2009, 12:26:39 pm »
They're the worst.  At least a nutter with an agenda gives the survivors a hook to work with.  Random nuttiness just leaves a hole.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2009, 12:32:58 pm »
Apeldoorn, where my family comes from and I spent many holidays cycling around on an omafiets.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Zoidburg

« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2009, 02:51:48 pm »
In the current climate I am surprised he even made it to hospital

If that happened here he would have been shot in the head before they went anywhere near him, bloody twisted mess or not - just to make sure he wasn't going to press the button on anything nasty.

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2009, 04:59:51 pm »
The driver hit two barriers fencing off the parade route, hitting abt. 15 people in the process. Most of them either involved in the parade planning/organisation and/or security. I guess that the barriers caused most of the damage to the car. First reports on Dutch TV/Radio stated that the driver couldn't control his car anymore just before the impact, hence him missing the bus and/or the crowd at the other side of the road.

Jakob

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »
Just why does the BBC always feel it needs to "sanitise" something like this? Anything like this / riots / war etc should be shown warts and all.

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Dutch parade attack

Rob S

« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2009, 09:57:28 pm »

More like why does Sky always feel the need to sex it up and let us know they did have even juicier footage but have spared us,,,,probably to get the viewers.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 02 May, 2009, 09:12:38 am »

I'm not sure why that should be. Should a car incident in Holland be given greater coverage than a drug cartel torturing and stabbing in Columbia? Arguably many Brits could have more effect on the latter. If there had been no photographers and cameras covering the Dutch royal visit it wouldn't have made the news in such a way. Almost all new you see is the result of a journalist being there. That is changing a bit - if a member of the public can get footage/images to a news organisation in less than a few hours.

Frankly my news hunger is satisfied by the text telling me that a car was driven into a crowd and some people died.
Photos/footage of bodies is just ghoulish overlay that achieves nothing other than to desensitise and damage those viewing. Much like glass up bottom videos.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 02 May, 2009, 09:14:35 am »
I could do with the warts not being on the front page, playing right away, tbh.  There's 'showing' and there's 'spoiling my lunch'.  Been hit by too many cars to find it entertaining.