Author Topic: Forming a Bike User Group  (Read 832 times)

Forming a Bike User Group
« on: 19 May, 2014, 06:14:19 pm »
I've been asked to start a bike user group at work. After saying that I would it occured to me that I haven't the foggiest idea what that entails. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a bit of background the site is an office with about 500 people. Some of whom have bikes I hope.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Forming a Bike User Group
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2014, 06:36:32 pm »
Contact CTC. They will have loads of useful advice and resources.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »
Shall do, thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2014, 11:58:02 pm »
I helped put together a BUG where I work (eight years ago). I was member #7 and we just passed 700. There are about 4000 where we work. I'll post here tomorrow the welcome note we send out to new members. It will give you an idea of what can be done.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2014, 08:09:24 am »
Ta  :)

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2014, 10:09:15 am »
Welcome to the Bicycle User Group (BUG). We are fairly active and now have over 700 members (that's way more than 10% of the workforce). The group is aimed at those who cycle to work (even if this is only an occasional event) and those who are just thinking about it. Offers to help the existing BUG action team to organise some of the BUG activities would be most welcome.
The current BUG team is shown here - <URL>

The BUG asks nothing of you except your support. If you are able to offer your advice to any BUG member that asks the group for some help, then that is always welcome.

The BUG aims to promote cycling by : -
  • getting more people cycling more often
  • raise road safety awareness amongst all road users
  • get facilities for cyclists improved
Cycling Safely
Top of the pile for cyclist safety are these three tips : -
1    NEVER cycle on the inside of a large vehicle. This is the single biggest cause of cyclist deaths and serious injuries.
2    NEVER cycle in the 'Door Zone' (ie in the area where you would be hit if a car driver or passenger threw their door fully open). In the UK this is the single biggest cause of car/bike collisions.
3   NEVER cycle off the pavement onto the road without looking. In London this is the single biggest cause of car/bike collisions. (And what are you doing on the pavement anyway ?)

Numbers 4 and 5 are to take the Safer Cycling course and read the Surrey County Council booklet (Getting Around) attached to this mail from cover to cover !!

Cycle Training
It is very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that because you can ride a bike and drive a car, that you can therefore safely conduct yourself on the road on a bike. The company offers a Cycle Safely course, the cost of which your manager should agree to you claiming (and if they won't, please let me know). Full details are available at <URL>. We are convinced that even the most hardened cycle-commuter would benefit (ie be safer) from taking the course offered. We strongly recommend that you apply. The course is a two hour one-on-one session, arranged at a time to suit you, with a professional trainer, so the training is pitched at precisely the level you need. They are as happy to train complete newbies, as they are experienced cyclo-commuters. You will be hard-pushed to find a more effective way of spending £80 on your safety. To book the course, simply ring CTUK on 020 7231 6005.

Surrey County Council publish a booklet called Getting Around which explains very concisely the basic principles of safe riding on the road. It is available as a downloadable pdf file from their website : - (http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Getting+around+-+an+introduction+to+safe+cycling?opendocument)
and I have also attached it to this note. For the standard reference work on the subject (the road-riding cyclists' bible), consider buying Cyclecraft by John Franklin (published by the Stationery Office). It is available through Amazon.

Cycle Security
Please find attached a document from the London Borough of Camden detailing ways to make sure your bike is as safe as possible from theft. Consider insuring your bike. It may be that your household contents policy already covers bikes, but check that it is covered away from home, many policies make this specific exclusion.

Basic Info
Please could you update the BUG spreadsheet at <URL> This helps the BUG do a number of things.
1   Update our list of Building Reps (who show new cyclists where the facilities are)
2   Update our list of Cycle-Buddies (to help guide new cyclists the way here and/or to provide routing info)
3   Calculate the rough CO2 saving to which BUG members contribute
4   Determine the size of the 'locker problem'
5   Determine how many parking spaces BUG members don't occupy !

The offer of free servicing will only be available to those who have entered their details on this spreadsheet.

Facilities
Each building has showers and lockers. Reception desks hold a stock of fresh towels. Speak to the front of house staff to get a locker.

There is a drying room in Building A. There are 36 cage lockers in there which are to be allocated on a first come - first served basis - EVERY DAY. The lockers are not provided with locks, though they can be locked with your own padlock. The expectation is that nothing will be left in this room overnight and that all lockers will be left unlocked so that all 36 lockers are available each morning. Security will check this room after 8pm each Friday night and anything left in there will be taken to Lost Property. If any lockers are secured with a padlock at this point, the padlock will be cut off.

There is a plastic crate at the bottom end of the secure cycle park. Please place in here any cycle bits and bobs that you no longer need and would like to offer to BUG members. Similarly, feel free to rummage and take whatever you think you can use.

As BUG numbers increase there is a corresponding increase in demand on the facilities here, principally showers, towels, lockers and cycle parking. In order that we can track whether any of these become a bottleneck or not please let me know. We will then be able to present site management with a consolidated set of figures on a regular basis.

Cycling Law
Cycles are classified as vehicles, albeit not motorised ones. Traffic law therefore applies to bicycles as it does for cars. Most of the Highway Code rules refer to vehicles, and bicycles are included within that grouping (unless specifically excluded). Principally, there are three common cyclists' actions that significantly affect (in a hugely negative way) the general public's view of cyclists, apart from being illegal : -
  • jumping red lights,
  • cycling on the pavement
  • cycling at night without lights
It's really simple - DON'T !

Bicycles have an absolute entitlement to use the roads (even where cycle lanes/paths are provided). To help ensure that this position is maintained the BUG believes it very important that cyclists obey the law at all times when on the roads.

The BUG Offer
There are four things the BUG offer; regular free bike servicing, Building Reps, Cycle Buddies and routing advice.

1 The bike servicing is done by qualified bike mechanics and is scheduled to run four times a year.
   2 We have BUG members in every building on site so there is someone nearby who will be able to show you where the facilities are in your building.
   3/4 If you are looking for some route advice then a number of BUG members have offered to accompany newbie cyclists for a few runs into work. We have pretty good coverage of the surrounding area ! Contact me if you would like us to rustle up a buddy for you. (Check also the BUG forum page on route suggestions - <URL>

When you have determined the best route for you, please add it to this thread so that others can take advantage of your knowledge.) Note that there are free cycling route maps available for the surrounding area from both Transport for London (https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/cycle-guides-request.aspx) and Surrey County Council (http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Cycle+guides?opendocument).

Happy Cycling !!
Rust never sleeps