Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2186927 times)

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #6750 on: 21 December, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »
The jogler fleet has,during the course of 2012,been extensively reduced thus creating a lot more space in the garage.
This morning I have fettled said garage to give space for the rollers & turbo to be used so that I can become a fair weather cyclist but begin a steady return to fitness during the winter months without riding outside.
 :-\

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6751 on: 21 December, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »
That sounds like a plan.
Getting there...

« Reply #6752 on: 21 December, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »
I made some homebrew power grips.

I used some flat pedals I forcefully removed from my slightly broken Brompton and some nylon belt from a pair of crag hopper trousers.  Sourced a pile of nuts and bolts from a scrap bin at work.

They seem to work ok, will give them a proper try before I buy some actual power grips.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6753 on: 23 December, 2012, 01:12:21 pm »
hmm. my commuter bike was running 160mm tektro disc brake, which was fine and performed very well over the years - no real need for an upgrade. however, ctc january sale meant that a 180mm avid bb7 brake found it's way to my household. i thought it will be a ten minute job to unbolt the old rotor and caliper and putting the the new one in, with new inner cable. which it was, however i wasn't happy with the end result (spot the fail):

initially i thought it's me being thick and not knowing what i'm doing, but after careful examination of online images it appears i've been sent a wrong size fork adapter (for 200mm rotor instead of 180mm), therefore the caliper sits 1cm higher than it should, doh. an email was sent to crc asking for correct part (i don't expect a quick response due to current holiday season). i installed a shimano 160mm rotor from spares box on the old 160mm fork adapter, that'll do for now. after a short test ride it seems that the new brake will be an improvement, after it's run in (and especially with 180mm rotor once i get the adapter).

« Reply #6754 on: 24 December, 2012, 11:06:17 am »
Laced a DT Swiss RR465 on an Ultegra 6500 hub

In the hope that Santa will bring the truing stand tonight :)

« Reply #6755 on: 24 December, 2012, 09:49:07 pm »
The kitchen. We had a builder in removing an internal wall and sorting out power, I'd already removed the old floor tiles and adhesive last week. I started on Saturday ripping out most of the old one, then running new hot & cold water pipes with a more sensible routing in the new room layout, with connection points for the dishwasher and washing machine in the right place. I did my first "proper" plumbing using soldered connections too - something I've been meaning to try for ages, and as MrsH has a torch anyway (she used to use it for her glass making before upgrading to one that takes both propane and oxygen) it was cheap to have a go and is very easy.

Then putting in cabinets, modifying where needed to go around the protrusions into the room from service ducts (soil pipe etc.), redoing waste waster all the way to the outside (first time using solvent weld rather than compression - very easy too) and finally temporarily refitting the old worktop, cut up appropriately so that we have a working sink and hob until the real one gets made after christmas.

Probably not the most sensible time to rip out the kitchen, but it did give a very firm deadline for having it work again, which we managed. Now there's just the ceiling to replaster (which my builder will do once he's back off holiday), finish the high cupboards (which I've left to give him clearance to the ceiling) and putting down a new floor.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6756 on: 24 December, 2012, 09:54:56 pm »
I finished the wheel I started yesterday. It is very, very true.

(Oh yes it is!)

I went to the LBS fir a tyre, a chain, rim tape and an inner tube and have taken the gears off the Mercian. I had a brief pootle and it just demanded to be ridden further, but the weather has had other ideas. Beside all of that, I am totally knackered after only 4 hours' sleep, courtesy Mrs. Wow's trip to A & E.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6757 on: 26 December, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »
Spent the morning fettling an old valve guitar amp that we bought for £25 at a market not knowing if it worked or not as it had no valves. Took the plunge and ordered the valves off eBay before Christmas and fitted them today. Works perfectly. 160 watts of pure overdriven valvey smoothness  ;D ;D.

Spent the afternoon sorting my spanners and hanging them in size order in my shed. Not an@l at all.....

« Reply #6758 on: 27 December, 2012, 03:54:02 pm »
Nothing like the above fettles. Picked up bike from the LBS after it's first service. They left the seat way too high to get the bike in the car. So had to loosen it off. In the meantime, managed to snap the mudguard off.
Bike seat back where it should be and guard to be refitted "later".
ie when I can be arsed...  8)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6759 on: 27 December, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »
External filter intake hose full of gunk   :sick:
Fettled it clean again with aid of flexible camelback cleaning brush.....
Remind me not to use the same brush to clean camelback in the future.... :sick:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6760 on: 28 December, 2012, 12:40:58 pm »
A bit of a disaster. I was swapping the brakes from summer to winter bike. I knew the front bolt was seized so sawed through the brake at the front to then push the bolt back through. Except it is an alloy steerer and the bolt has decided to be firmly attached. Even the efforts of some gentle persuasion didn't work (except to bruise a finger in collateral damage) and so I have decided to temporarily retreat, charge up the drill  and, using the 5mm nut as a guide, drill out the bolt at least part way so I can then persuade it out the rest of the way.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

BrianI

« Reply #6761 on: 28 December, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »
Mair fish tank fettling.

Tesco play sand substrate had gone a touch foostie*, so I thought I'd replace it with some fresh sand.
£3 for a 15kg bag of Argos play sand, a couple of hours rinsing the new sand, sooking out the old sand, and replacing it with fresh and job done ;D

* Had gone rather black, horrible and smelling of sulphur in places....   :sick:

« Reply #6762 on: 28 December, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »
Book shelves above my desk in the office.   All my reference materials are now close to hand.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6763 on: 28 December, 2012, 02:59:28 pm »
This 'ere Babbage Engine.

I was getting sick of the noise that the (admittedly rather old) spinny hard disk was making so I've fitted an SSD instead - big improvement in responsiveness and the noise, or rather lack thereof, is very noticeable  :thumbsup: Haven't noticed any significant decrease in boot time, but since I was more concerned about 'quiet' rather than 'fast' I can live with that.

Next step is to relegate the old, spinny disk to NAS duty.

BrianI

« Reply #6764 on: 28 December, 2012, 04:16:18 pm »
Also fettled the fall out shelter cupboard-under-the-stairs.
Rather than it being stowed out the door with several outdoors jackets, a couple of pairs of wellingtons, umpteen pairs of waterproof troosers and odd gloves and fleeces, all the appropriate outdoor gear is relocated to it's proper place, and it's now usable again, making for easier weekly meter reads.

« Reply #6765 on: 28 December, 2012, 04:21:11 pm »
Had a quick check of tyre and shock pressure on the Anthem in case I go to Dalby in the morning.  All three road bikes are in fine fettle so I've got a whole heap of choice depending on the weather and whatever I fancy doing :thumbsup:

« Reply #6766 on: 28 December, 2012, 10:52:33 pm »
The 30+ year-old rear derailleur on the Holdsworth seems to have given up the ghost (can't say I didn't get my money's worth I suppose), so as I've been wondering about a SS/fixed conversion anyway, decided to rip off both derailleurs and levers etc., and shorten the chain to fit the most plausible combination I could find between the 50/40 on the front and a very wide-spaced block on the back. Ended up with 50x21 or 64.3" (according to SB). A quick test ride, seems OK, though glad I could freewheel downhill.

Assuming I get on OK with this after a week or so, I'll buy a proper rear wheel, a flip/flop seems like a good idea. Suppose I'll also have to change the chainset too? Any suggestions for cheap-ish wheels, preferably in 27" to match the front one and the brakes? I saw this, looks like it ought to do the job? - http://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/singlespeedkits/27-silver.html

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6767 on: 29 December, 2012, 12:03:41 am »
My hammerology worked! Removing the foks from the bike allowed me to position the hammer, a drift, the recalcitrant bolt stub and the forks in a dynamic disequelibrium such that by hitting drft A with hmmer B bolt C could be persuaded to part company with forks D.

It also drew my attention to the requirement for grease in the lower crown race bearings, andall was duly administered, fettled, wiped and tidied up. I ahd taken a tape measure with me and measured the comfortable summer bike, then readjusted the winter bike to match (basically slid the saddle forward an inch.) Much better all round.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6768 on: 29 December, 2012, 07:19:58 pm »
Fitted new brake levers, shifters, cables and tape to the ridgeback ... nearly. In preparation for this, the bike got a really good clean (in the rain) and, while I was at it, a front mudflap.

« Reply #6769 on: 30 December, 2012, 08:44:22 pm »
Fitted a proper floor to the loft of the garage/workshop/bike-store. 72 sq feet of chipboard flooring (and I need another 2 sq foots to finish it  >:() with noggins added between joists on panel joins and edges of 'hatch'. This is to to give me more space to store crap camping gear, bike spares, etc.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6770 on: 30 December, 2012, 09:26:32 pm »
Good work :thumbsup:

I've boarded, er, half (ish) of ours :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #6771 on: 30 December, 2012, 11:07:00 pm »
I've only boarded less-than-a-quarter of ours, but that's the only bit it's possible to walk in.

I need to get a light wired in next.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #6772 on: 30 December, 2012, 11:28:27 pm »
Complete replacement of the drive train on my 'work' bike. Nothing done to it for two years and 7,000 miles except for an occasional squirt of Slidex 68 (machine lube)
Feeling VERY smug that I Copperslipped everything last time. Everything came apart easily.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

simonp

« Reply #6773 on: 31 December, 2012, 12:02:56 am »
I made a python script which joins together messed-up tcx files and corrects the distances in the track points so that they display correctly on garmin connect. It’s a particularly dumb file format.

« Reply #6774 on: 31 December, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »
Clean and polished shoes for all the family. (Doesn't happen often.)