Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2187831 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #8000 on: 05 July, 2013, 12:01:53 am »
Replaced the rear rim and tyre. Now to finish packing for the trip tomorrow morning.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8001 on: 05 July, 2013, 12:17:33 am »
Replaced bottom bracket and refitted crank after previous BB fail.

Bonus points (if I say so myself) for doing the work at the pub.

More bonus points for bending a 1/2" socket wrench bar attempting to remove BB cups.

After finding that neither cup would budge, and letting everyone sturdy have a go I realised I did not have any plus gas with me.

Instead I poured Coca-Cola into each BB cup in turn and, lo and behold, that freed them up. Major smug points there!

BB replaced, cranks refitted and I was on my way home. (it lasted too!)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8002 on: 05 July, 2013, 09:47:00 am »

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8003 on: 05 July, 2013, 04:27:17 pm »
Fitted some new tyres to the Inbred. Conti Speed Rides, same tread as their CX tyres, but with a puncture strip.

Then I broke out the soldering iron and fixed tge rear light that had a couple of dry joints.

Now all set for a nightvride on the (possibly) hottest day of the year!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #8004 on: 05 July, 2013, 04:32:08 pm »
Replaced the cleats on my shoes. Rode to work and then readjusted the angles to match new cleats rather than old ones!

« Reply #8005 on: 05 July, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »
Fitted the cheapo Halfords front rack/lowrider things.

Horrible design (they don't even make use of the boss that's on the forks, they have their own mounting bracket that goes round the fork blade). One bolt missing (but able to bodge it).

Good enough for the hackbike though, and for £11 (instore price match to online price) you can't argue.

Really wouldn't like to go touring with them. I only need them to take the panniers for the 1/4 mile between home and MiniGB's nursery (the Hamax gets in the way of panniers a bit) or the 3 miles or so from home to the swimming pool.

Will be on the lookout for a proper (cheap) front rack though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8006 on: 05 July, 2013, 04:37:48 pm »
Fitted the cheapo Halfords front rack/lowrider things.

Horrible design (they don't even make use of the boss that's on the forks, they have their own mounting bracket that goes round the fork blade). One bolt missing (but able to bodge it).

I botched a set of those onto my Dawes (rigid alloy fork with no bosses).  This required fabricating custom bracket things, sacrificing the QR functionality of the wheel (no big loss, it's got a security skewer in it anyway), and fitting them backwards in order that they be even remotely upright.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8007 on: 05 July, 2013, 04:39:22 pm »
Fitted some new tyres to the Inbred. Conti Speed Rides, same tread as their CX tyres, but with a puncture strip.

Without wanting to ill-wish your rides, note that is a 'puncture strip', not a 'puncture-resistant strip'.  These are Continentals, after all. ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #8008 on: 05 July, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »
Attempted to fettle gears. They sort of work - can't use the big ring, but I don't really use it anyway. Front derailleurs are horrible things to set up.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8009 on: 05 July, 2013, 05:11:31 pm »

Without wanting to ill-wish your rides, note that is a 'puncture strip', not a 'puncture-resistant strip'.  These are Continentals, after all. ;)

Bugger!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #8010 on: 05 July, 2013, 06:13:21 pm »
Attempted to fettle gears. They sort of work - can't use the big ring, but I don't really use it anyway. Front derailleurs are horrible things to set up.
One of the many reasons I dispensed with derailleurs on my entire fleet a long time ago ... but I digress.

Since the weather is so nice I've decided to tempt fate and take the mudguards off the 1x1 - this does, however, make the bike much easier to pack in the car with both wheels out.

Still haven't decided whether or not to fit the off-road tyres, though - I suspect the trails might be dry enough that I can get away with slicks.

« Reply #8011 on: 05 July, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »
Reduced the weight of my audax bike by about 1kg by washing the mud off it  :D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8012 on: 05 July, 2013, 11:39:52 pm »
Swapped road bike bars from quill stem to a head adaptor stem and handlebars.  Then unwrapped the bar tape from one bike then put the bar tape on another bike.  Then took the bar tape which I took off bike a on to bike B.

Have also added a spacer to the forks single speed off roader.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8013 on: 06 July, 2013, 04:43:06 am »
Second major de-fettling this week. This time it is the spare parts bike, in preparation of a major temporary (yeah right) upgrade to Shimano 105, until the Mercian is fixed.
Just the top head cup to remove, clean and investigate some bubbles under the paint.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #8014 on: 06 July, 2013, 07:15:54 pm »
I recently acquired a Ridgeback Velocity from Woofage OTP. It's in decent nick, but I have been tweaking it a little. I swapped the stem with a higher one - also from Woofage - and realised the rear pads were almost worn out, so replaced them. The v-brakes were a bit sticky after a month outdoors in deepest Suffolk, so I removed, cleaned and lubricated the relevant bits and reassembled them using the springiest notch. I am not familiar with this type of brake and need to work out what the little adjustment screw does, as I often fail to have them set right.

I was tempted to fit the Schwalbe Land Cruisers, but that can wait till after my Norfolk trip on it next month. The Tortec rack I had on the Pompino was fitted easily enough. I'll use it on my commute this coming week and see how I get on.

Cut and strimmed the grass and finally put the water butt on a higher, firmer standing. That should stop it overflowing and make it safer.

Oh yes, I forgot that I assembled the infernal Thule high-level bike rack, but it's probably too wide for the Punto with full-size bikes on. A re-think required.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8015 on: 06 July, 2013, 07:41:25 pm »
Got rid of the squeak from the from disc. Just needed to re-align the caliper, only took a couple of minutes. Wheel spinning far better now Just wish I'd done it before my 100k offroad rather than after :facepalm:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #8016 on: 06 July, 2013, 08:49:18 pm »
There is a slight downside to the N+1 thing - you do start to get a bit paranoid about the value of the bikes building up in the garage.

So I've spent some time this afternoon drilling 8 holes into my garage floor, and fitting another 2 ground anchors and affixing several metres of the finest heavy duty hardened steel chain, bought from docsquid's company, Pragmasis.  Their kit is really excellent in providing everything you need, including a pre-marked drill bit and plastic tube for blowing away the dust.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #8017 on: 06 July, 2013, 10:23:00 pm »
There is a slight downside to the N+1 thing - you do start to get a bit paranoid about the value of the bikes building up in the garage.

So I've spent some time this afternoon drilling 8 holes into my garage floor, and fitting another 2 ground anchors and affixing several metres of the finest heavy duty hardened steel chain, bought from docsquid's company, Pragmasis.  Their kit is really excellent in providing everything you need, including a pre-marked drill bit and plastic tube for blowing away the dust.

We have 2 of those from Pragmasis too, one in the garage and one in the house  :o
My drill very nearly died a death drilling the concrete floor which was really hard!

I did a spot of midnight pre-audax fettling:
removed rattling mudguard reflector
fitted new front brake pads since there was not much left
re-indexed gears
cleaned and lubed drive train

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #8018 on: 06 July, 2013, 10:53:32 pm »
Popped new carbon forks on my Cotic X cyclocross bike. The original, 2yr old forks had snapped and were only held on by the former for the carbon, stem/crown/fork upper. Easy to cut the stem to size with a copper pipe cutter used to get a straight cut before finishing off with a hacksaw. Minor bit of play but will resolve that tomorrow. The big change is the new fork has no mudguard mounts. :0( So I either have to bodge something or get very wet in winter....
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8019 on: 06 July, 2013, 11:44:28 pm »
I dug out the Solo, swapped a locknut over from the old wheel to replace the broken one, trued the wheel despite the one slightly overlong spoke, and fitted everything back together.  I need to give it a shakedown ride tomorrow, but I think I've fixed my fixed.
Getting there...

« Reply #8020 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:24:07 am »
So I've spent some time this afternoon drilling 8 holes into my garage floor, and fitting another 2 ground anchors and affixing several metres of the finest heavy duty hardened steel chain, bought from docsquid's company, Pragmasis.

I really should get around to fitting my Pragmasis ground anchor. It's not too bad without it though as the chain is currently wrapped around thick cable that brings mains electricity to the distribution box (prior to the meters). No scrote would be stupid enough to try and cut that (and live).

« Reply #8021 on: 07 July, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »
My Muddy Fox Sorcerer. 1980's Tange prestige loveliness.

yesterday & today

from this...

to this...

[/URL]

Nitto Moustache bars and stem, old Shimano aero levers, 7 speed bar end shifters, brooks Ti B17, brooks bar tape and specialized gel pad thingies, wheels from the stash in the garage as the others rims were very worn - Exage hubs and Alesa rims  (nothing fancy but servicable / functional)
topeak adjustable bottle cage and third cage & Zefal mounts, Carradice slim and SQR.

rides beautifully!  :)

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8022 on: 07 July, 2013, 06:48:57 pm »
If anyone wants a large Muddy Fox Courier Comp to do this with, we have one in our back garden pining for a new owner.
Getting there...

« Reply #8023 on: 07 July, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »
Clarion, I was just wondering, how large is large.....? 

16 yo Step son is growing at an alarming rate only bettered by his 15 yo sister (and there's a spare pair of mo' bars in the bits box....)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8024 on: 07 July, 2013, 07:59:58 pm »
About 24", I think.
Getting there...