Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2186869 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10725 on: 09 January, 2016, 07:16:02 pm »
Cleaned up the litter and some old leaves in my front garden.  Washed my front door.  Scrubbed my front path. Cleaned the loo.  Changed the sheets on both beds.  Went to the tip.  Did some washing.  Fixed the mirror.

Love those iron tablets.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10726 on: 09 January, 2016, 09:32:59 pm »
Degunked six separate parts of the washing machine and reacquainted myself with Shimano chains. Need a new cassette new. A decent chain wouldn't be a bad idea either.

You should have bought a Campag washing machine :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10727 on: 09 January, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »
We do everything at 40 degrees, so a fixie would be most appropriate.  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10728 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:05:28 am »
My LG washing machine is direct drive, so I suppose that's sort-of fixed...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10729 on: 10 January, 2016, 02:12:42 pm »
Finished sawing the ends off the floorboards in the loft so that they no longer butt up to the wall that thinks it's a waterfall. This involved a jigsaw, and dismantling a cupboard with a GBFO hammer and some swearing.
It's not stopping the water coming in but at least it will stop it travelling any further in....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10730 on: 11 January, 2016, 06:50:30 pm »
Removed from Mrs P's front tyre this evening:

IMG_3328_001 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10731 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:58:05 pm »
My first successful, so far, adjustment of a front derailleur cable that had slipped.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #10732 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:20:47 pm »
Removed from Mrs P's front tyre this evening:

IMG_3328_001 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pah. A mere scratch. Don't know why you didn't just pump it up and carry on.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10733 on: 12 January, 2016, 10:42:10 pm »
I've blinked. Just fitted the Winters to my Horizon. That should ward off the sno'n'ice for a bit
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #10734 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:43:05 pm »
Just applied patch number 33 to my favourite innertube  :P

« Reply #10735 on: 15 January, 2016, 11:55:13 pm »
Replaced brake pads, and fitted a new shiny saddle to the not-Tifosi.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10736 on: 16 January, 2016, 01:12:39 am »
BB & cranks on a Norco NotSure - too much crap on the frame to identify it properly.

Because when you have Octalink cranks you should fit them to an FSA PowerDrive BB. Don't worry that the crank has 8 splines and the BB 10, that's just marketing hype. No, I tell you what, let's just banjo 100 quid's worth of cranks onto the wrong bb and just torque the living shit out of those bolts until the cranks turn the axle without slipping to ten past two . . . or something.

A raid of the scrap bin stash of 'usable resource' produced a usable Truvativ with matching bb. That was when i discovered that the cranks had been spining ON the bb and so had to file the burrs off befor the tool would actually fit the cups.

Never mind, it brought some money in AND we had chippy for supper. Altogether a good day.

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10737 on: 16 January, 2016, 07:13:54 am »
Ah, the joys of a bikeshop mechanic ....... Memory's  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10738 on: 16 January, 2016, 04:22:23 pm »
Today, for the first time ever, I got inside an STI shifter. A flat bar one, so it's pretty simple; in fact it's only integrated in that it's in one housing with the brake lever, so hardly deserving of the name. After a new cable, cassette, chain and some tinkering, the gears are no longer clinking and clunking. More to the point, the chain's not skipping either. Seems like I probably could have done without the new cassette, it just needed a new chain – the old one was the factory original, I think, which means it was about six years old(!) (but had been in storage for a couple of years) so no complaints. And now I've got a quick link. Why Shimano persist in fitting chains without them, I don't know. And closer ratios, which may or may not be noticed in practice.

« Reply #10739 on: 17 January, 2016, 02:59:27 pm »
Some temporary shelves for helping Mrs C sort out boxes of books. We're trying to reduce the amount of unnecessary crap we've  acquired. Well, I am anyway.

I used the two bases from a double divan and a couple of flat panels I've been holding onto. There wasn't enough to put a decent panel on the top. The shelves are in what will eventually be our dining room.

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10740 on: 17 January, 2016, 04:11:25 pm »
Today, for the first time ever, I got inside an STI shifter. A flat bar one, so it's pretty simple; in fact it's only integrated in that it's in one housing with the brake lever, so hardly deserving of the name. After a new cable, cassette, chain and some tinkering, the gears are no longer clinking and clunking. More to the point, the chain's not skipping either. Seems like I probably could have done without the new cassette, it just needed a new chain – the old one was the factory original, I think, which means it was about six years old(!) (but had been in storage for a couple of years) so no complaints. And now I've got a quick link. Why Shimano persist in fitting chains without them, I don't know. And closer ratios, which may or may not be noticed in practice.
And following that, it's still slipping today.  >:( Well, it's clearly not chain or cassette and I think the indexing is ok, so the next suspect is the jockey wheels. Probably better check the indexing again though.

« Reply #10741 on: 17 January, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
3 Course Meal for 80 people, and my first time as head cook:

Mushroom Soup
Roast Gammon, Roast Spuds, Carrots, Peas, Green beans and Parsley Sauce
Pineapple upside down cake and custard

I started at 9:45, to prepare the dessert, was joined by 3 of the team between 10:00 and 10:15. (meat in oven, soup, spuds to part boil and then swap into the oven to roast, prepare sauce and custard)

we all went to the church service at 11 and were joined by the remaining 3 members of the team after the service to carve, plate up and serve (13:00). We then wash up and finally pause to eat our lunch before cleaning down the kitchen and leaving at about 15:30.

Apart from the gas going out under the sauce so it wasn't ready when we plated up and had to be added immediately prior to serving all went remarkably well and everyone was highly complimentary. The fact that almost everyone had dessert is unusual, normally there are some who are watching their weight, diabetic or just don't want it.  :)

« Reply #10742 on: 17 January, 2016, 07:27:34 pm »
3 Course Meal for 80 people, and my first time as head cook:

Mushroom Soup
Roast Gammon, Roast Spuds, Carrots, Peas, Green beans and Parsley Sauce
Pineapple upside down cake and custard

I started at 9:45, to prepare the dessert, was joined by 3 of the team between 10:00 and 10:15. (meat in oven, soup, spuds to part boil and then swap into the oven to roast, prepare sauce and custard)

we all went to the church service at 11 and were joined by the remaining 3 members of the team after the service to carve, plate up and serve (13:00). We then wash up and finally pause to eat our lunch before cleaning down the kitchen and leaving at about 15:30.

Apart from the gas going out under the sauce so it wasn't ready when we plated up and had to be added immediately prior to serving all went remarkably well and everyone was highly complimentary. The fact that almost everyone had dessert is unusual, normally there are some who are watching their weight, diabetic or just don't want it.  :)

Chapeau!
And bon apetit!

« Reply #10743 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:13:01 am »
Apropos of this rant

A flexible tap connector onto the cistern supply, after cleaning the paint off the supply pipe.

« Reply #10744 on: 23 January, 2016, 05:18:46 pm »
mllePB's tourer in readiness for Clapham next week.   Two new tyres, one new tube, new brake wires, a section of new brake outer cable and a new noodle for the rear v brake.  New chain, new brake blocks, clean, adjust and lube.   

I will be attending to my tourer on Tuesday.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10745 on: 23 January, 2016, 08:34:22 pm »
new gear cable to fit.  For some reason the old one snapped clean off at the clamp bolt, so if it slips I'm buggered.

2 glasses of wine so far, I may wait till tomorrow.

EDIT
Should have left it, but I started yesterday and got the old cable out, getting the new one in today I discovered the real cause of the shifting woes which was not cable related at all.

The front mech was not straight/parallel with the chain rings.

As the shifting trouble started after my holiday last year I can only think that it must have taken a knock either in packig or in transit in the bike box.  Now all aligned and stops adjusted too.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #10746 on: 24 January, 2016, 06:38:53 pm »
Switching energy suppliers. Apparently jumping ship to The Co-Op will save me nearly £400 a year, which shows how much BG are robbing gits   >:(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10747 on: 24 January, 2016, 07:01:27 pm »
I unblocked the nozzle on the jetwasher. This involved prising open several components designed to clip together permanently, then poking a pin through the nozzle. The blockage turned out to be some variety of minute fly, which considering it had been subjected 1300 psi, was still remarkably fly shaped.
Next I cleaned the patio and garden paths.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10748 on: 24 January, 2016, 07:09:23 pm »
Washed two bikes, took the pannier rack off one, washed the bits I couldn't reach while it was on, put a new rack on that bike, transferred the rear light from old rack to new, tried to put the old rack on the other bike but I need some larger P-clips than I have. Then mended a kitchen cupboard door.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10749 on: 26 January, 2016, 06:53:20 pm »
Just finished this: (a Revell 1:12 scale 2010 Ford Shelby GT500)

And I'll hopefully be starting this, soon, a 1:6 scale model kit of the Robot B9, from Lost in Space! (£50 worth of model kit!  :o)

:thumbsup: