Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2187758 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #11175 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »
Inflated some more seldom used tyres, changed a couple of cables and the rear rack and fitted a dyno headlamp and new tailight to my Moulton (the bracket on the steerer required some metalwork). Fitted a new tyre to the Moulton's dynowheel. Condemned another tyre and several taillights from the fleet. Phillips, Spannaga and B&M all seem unreliable, for various reasons. I'll be sticking to Cateye and cheapies in future, mostly.

Need to swap the captain's bars on the racing tandem with my trike, so the captain's aerobars can finally be fitted. Then fit some thicker chainring spacers, so the timing chain stays clear of the final drive chain when changing rings. The Audax tandem needs new stoker handlebar tape (still scarred from being knocked over at the first PBP control by some shit).

My Brompton needs new cables all round and new barrel adjusters on the Shimano brake levers. It'll need replacement rear pivot bushes and a paint job soon, along with a set of bidon bosses. My Moulton needs new handlebar tape, rear brake and front gear cables and possibly new rear hub bearings before PBP Audax. My Claud Butler needs a complete rebuild before l'Eroica. My trike, once back, needs a headset fitted, a mudflap and brake hoods.

HK's Moulton needs a new front mech barrel adjuster. Her trike and Roberts both need new handlebar tape. Her trike needs a mudflap, as does her Condor commuter.

Spent an amazing amount of time tidying up small bits and pieces to join their compatriots.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #11176 on: 19 June, 2016, 08:53:06 pm »
Footings for a greenhouse.  This involved digging a hole, mixing concrete (thankfully with a mixer) and filling the holes in with the concrete.

Now fettling: Chorizo chilli.

Now emptying: A glass of red.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11177 on: 19 June, 2016, 09:54:25 pm »
think I've now correctly positioned the seat on the M5, having removed a section at the front to allow the brackets to sit properly without fouling the idler.

Just need to drill the other two sets of holes (next weekend) and then hopefully finish assembly.  Still need to solve the rear hub width problem though
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11178 on: 20 June, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »
Finally fixed the flat on the camping/commute bike. I think the bit of staple/wire I pulled out was the culprit but if not it would have caused a problem soon. Deflinted/glassed both tyres.

I didn't work in my usual order by working out where the hole was first so may still have the cause lurking. Rookie error.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #11179 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:38:18 pm »
After some numb fingers/hands in Normandy, have been tweaking saddle and bar positions.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #11180 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »
Thanks for the timely reminder.   I need to raise the saddle a tad on the audax bike.   

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11181 on: 21 June, 2016, 06:25:22 pm »
Reset my tooth of blueness, in my car, as it had filled it's logs, again, thus continually dropped the connection to the phone.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11182 on: 21 June, 2016, 06:31:31 pm »
Reset my tooth of blueness, in my car, as it had filled it's logs, again, thus continually dropped the connection to the phone.

So you dropped a log in your car?

tiermat

« Reply #11183 on: 21 June, 2016, 08:19:41 pm »
Ssssshhh!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #11184 on: 22 June, 2016, 01:15:35 pm »
swapped the bushing in the ksyrium freehub with a ceramic bearing to prevent the creak of doom. as a bonus i won't need to service it every couple of thousand km's anymore.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #11185 on: 22 June, 2016, 01:30:07 pm »
Deflinted/glassed both tyres.
I find this very satisfying. It's up there with squeezing blackheads.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #11186 on: 22 June, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »
you mean that moment when that pinprick of a stone turns out to be the tip of a multifaceted attack-sharpened shard of glass that you coax poppingly from its bed of rubber? No idea what you are talking about  ;D

« Reply #11187 on: 22 June, 2016, 09:04:43 pm »
My old MTB has fully-functioning brakes again. New blocks on the front, adjusted rear, cables lubricated.  :thumbsup:

Brompton brakes next. The others are all right for a little while, but not long, & more blocks will be needed, so I bought some. But first, the new derailleur has to be fitted to Mrs B's MTB, bar tape replaced on my Enigma, & the slow puncture in the Brompton's back tyre fixed. Not looking forward to that.  :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Paul

« Reply #11188 on: 23 June, 2016, 03:18:31 pm »
Finally finished the upgrade of my mtb last night. I started it about 4 years ago  ::-)

The LX mechs are now XT, the low end shimano trigger shifter and scott branded brake levers are now the single, combined LX units, and the scott branded v brakes are the very fine XT versions, with linkage to ensure that the pads move in a straight line to the rim (as opposed to an arc).

It's all lovely, though the front mech needs a bit more fettling.

tiermat

« Reply #11189 on: 23 June, 2016, 04:23:15 pm »
Paul, give it 6 months and you'll be swapping out those Vbrakes when the bushes wear.

« Reply #11190 on: 23 June, 2016, 04:51:32 pm »
Paul, give it 6 months and you'll be swapping out those Vbrakes when the bushes wear.
Is that particular to the XT and XTR brakes with the parellelogram ?
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11191 on: 23 June, 2016, 05:03:58 pm »
I take that particular warning with a pinch of salt. HK has had parallelogram XT V-brakes on her Condor commuter for many years without problems. It covers a lot of miles in poor conditions.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11192 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:05:19 pm »
Fettled the sump pump float switch in my cellar into proper operation, needed for the first time in a couple of years......

« Reply #11193 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:17:27 pm »
I take that particular warning with a pinch of salt. HK has had parallelogram XT V-brakes on her Condor commuter for many years without problems. It covers a lot of miles in poor conditions.
That's good to hear, thank you. If I were to get a set of these it would be for my Summer-only MTB that doesn't get used in the wet. I just need to keep a watch on eBay.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #11194 on: 23 June, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »
Fettled the sump pump float switch in my cellar into proper operation, needed for the first time in a couple of years......
I can see where that task could have shuffled up the priority listing this last couple of days.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11195 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:25:29 pm »
I bought this:
Bwahaha! by The Pingus, on Flickr

And fettled me some proto fire  :demon:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #11196 on: 24 June, 2016, 12:06:58 am »
Deflinted/glassed both tyres.
I find this very satisfying. It's up there with squeezing blackheads.

I'm glad that it's not just me then.
I even Jureked a tyre that was going in the bin  :-[.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11197 on: 24 June, 2016, 09:39:57 am »
I bought this:
Bwahaha! by The Pingus, on Flickr

Nice. I found one of those in our cellar about 15 years ago. Stainless shank, carbon-steel head.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

« Reply #11198 on: 24 June, 2016, 02:25:07 pm »

They were the first upgrade, some years ago, and they were used when I got them. They're okay so far but, if they died tomorrow, they wouldn't owe me anything.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11199 on: 25 June, 2016, 12:12:41 am »
A wee bit of microelectronic bodgery. Ever thought what it would be like to 'see' by echolocation? With 'batvision goggles' you can. I persuaded some mugs to wander round a forest with the prototype tonight. Quite good fun. The ultrasonic sensor detects distance, and translates it to a tone through the headphones. The higher pitched the tone, the closer the object.

DSC_4844 by David Martin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes