Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2187933 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12425 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »
I fitted the marathon tyre I was given at wing as WINTER IS COMING! .I also adjusted the parking brake.  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12426 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:45:20 pm »
Bought the right cable and completed the install of the new front triple derailleur. Had a "this is never going to work" moment. Stopped, went in for dinner, went back out and it all worked fine in ten minutes, so I swapped one of the new 28mm conti gp4 seasons onto the front wheel. Looks huge Vs the 25mm and now gives me another task as there seems to be a slight rub on the front mudguard. Nothing serious, just a bit of adjustment.

Having prepared myself for tribulations, I was pleasantly surprised that it went on with fairly easy thumb pressure.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #12427 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:23:26 am »
Dynamo'd the Pompino, which now has a 3N70 powering a Cyo IQ N+.  I went out for a brief test ride and the lamp certainly puts plenty of light on the road ahead, but I found the beam rather narrow for going round corners.  Did I hear that the B&M 'premium' lights have wider beams? 

ElyDave

« Reply #12428 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:38:44 pm »
2nd conti GP 4 seasons 28 mm went on as easy as the first.

Only problem is it fouls the rear mudguard, whereas the front does not. It's only the support at the brake bridge that's the problem, but it looks like the solution is going to be either remove it and have a slightly floppy mudguard, or take it off, spread it with some pliers and put it back on the other way round.  It's a piece of folder sheet metal that wraps around the lip of the mudguard, and this is what is fouling.  As an alternative I could bodge something out of a piece of drilled strapping material and a small nut and bolt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12429 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:41:44 pm »
As an alternative I could bodge something out of a piece of drilled strapping material and a small nut and bolt.

Cable ties.

ElyDave

« Reply #12430 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:50:04 pm »
As an alternative I could bodge something out of a piece of drilled strapping material and a small nut and bolt.

Cable ties.

couple of holes in the offending mudguard and around the brake bridge, that would work.

It actually already has two sets of stays at the rack attachment point and another at the BB so I may just take this one off and see what happens

« Reply #12431 on: 11 September, 2017, 10:35:47 pm »
Tried to turn on the central heating last night, as we had family guests for dinner, but it didn't work  :-[

Made a note to call the plumber today.

Thought I'd give it another try before calling the plumber this morning, and lo-and-behold it worked  :thumbsup:

No idea how I achieved it though  :-\

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12432 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:34:05 am »
Sharpened the bread knife on the diamond steel. Sharp enough for amputations now.

Tried the superglue fix on the brand-new tyre that fell victim to local club's route-planning arseholery.  Looks OK so far. Beforehand there was a wee bulge when it was at 7 bars, gone now. Early days.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #12433 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:21:19 pm »
Some mudguard fettling, turned the mounting bracket through 180, and flared it out. That now clears ok, but the section right below the brake bridge is squeezed and rubbing. I think a little hacksaw treatment will do the job.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12434 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:09:24 pm »
Dynamo'd the Pompino, which now has a 3N70 powering a Cyo IQ N+.  I went out for a brief test ride and the lamp certainly puts plenty of light on the road ahead, but I found the beam rather narrow for going round corners.  Did I hear that the B&M 'premium' lights have wider beams? 

Yes, the cyo premiums do have a wider beam. There's  a noticeable difference in beam pattern between my premium and non-premium cyos
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12435 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »

Yes, the cyo premiums do have a wider beam. There's  a noticeable difference in beam pattern between my premium and non-premium cyos

Seconded.  http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php has some beam photos.

If you want even wider, the Luxos or IQ-X are wider still.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12436 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:44:24 am »
You need to look for B&M lights with "near field illumination".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12437 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:20:40 am »
You need to look for B&M lights with "near field illumination".

Nearfield illumination means that the beam comes all the way down the the wheel.  It's a good thing as it reduces the letterbox effect, but it doesn't itself imply the beam is any wider.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12438 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:54:00 pm »
Got the chainline right on the Bob Griffin after a certain amount of faffing - the recommended BB lengths on Spa Cycles' webshite aren't right and I needed a 103mm BB (Tange - Shimano don't make one).  That got it within 2mm and then I put a 1/16" Sturmey-Archer spacer under the freewheel to make it within 0.5mm when checked with a long straight edge.  Mind you, this was never going to be easy, as it's a Campag Record hub respaced, on a shorter axle, to make it into a singlespeed, and happily dishless, hub.  The only thing between the RH cone and the dropout now is the locknut.

Still haven't found a rear cable hanger that works.  The seatbolt is really close to the seatpost (1mm or so) so only something very thin can be suspended from the bolt between the lugs.  The Surly one just fits between the lugs but is too long and the yoke would hit it when applying the brake - they probably only work on compact frames.  One that goes on the outside of the lugs would fit but they are nearly all 6mm bore, not 8mm.   Alternatively, it's the mega-expensive Paul's one that clamps around the seatpost itself.  I know dual-pivots would be easier but they look crap in 70mm reach and don't work all that well either.

Also reproduced the unique rubber gasket on a couple of Kona Impact headsets by injecting black silicone.  All the original gaskets are hardened and perished these days, if they're even still present (the youngest one is nearly 25 years old), and they are a very odd 3D shape to fill the T-shaped cut in the top nut, which is also the locknut.  After smoothing and wiping, the silicone looks original and will seal much better than the original ever did.

ElyDave

« Reply #12439 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:21:04 am »
fettling in 20 min stints is decidedly unsatisfying.  Removed some material from the offending mudguards around the brake bridge and that now clears OK, but there is still a lack of lateral clearance in the area between the brake bridge and BB mount. 

So, in for a penny etc. I've decided that either I carry on butchering these mudguards (which is easier than I expected) or I fit the set of raceblades I have hanging around.  I'll start the butchery at lunchtime, using some of these new fangled mudguards that are just a strip of material and no sides as a model.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12440 on: 14 September, 2017, 01:23:36 pm »
Currently tracing all the cables of our home network prior to putting in gigabit switching.  The network gradually topsied when we were working and I didn't have the time CBA to map things properly.  We currently have 4 ganglia and umpteen cables shooting off to various bits of the house, but I can only list 7 devices that need them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #12441 on: 15 September, 2017, 05:45:23 pm »
round things on the Giant now go round.

I have however come to the conclusion that the mudguard massacre on the back may not have been entirely necessary.  My last act was to slacken the rear mounting bolts and rotate the whole thing forwards, which increased clearance where it was needed.  Perhaps it would have been enough on its own, we'll never know... But at least no-one has a set of SKS quite like mine.

Lets hope those 28's are worth it tomorrow

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12442 on: 15 September, 2017, 08:05:47 pm »
The tumble dryer.

Last weekend, it died with No Heat, but tumbling OK.
Investigation reveals the one-time 160 degree safety thermal cutout had gone o/c.
There's no blockage or anything to cause overheating; these things do just expire from old age from time to time.
Replacement ordered from one of the white goods parts website, and arrived today.

5 minute job to swap it out and we're back in business.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12443 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:28:06 pm »
Vintage NOS Weinmann rear brake hanger arrived and is just the job for the rear centre-pull - right length, right fitting, right angle and even has an alloy adjuster.

« Reply #12444 on: 16 September, 2017, 07:58:45 pm »

Next stage done, now with added bike for scale:-
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12445 on: 16 September, 2017, 08:25:29 pm »

Come on then, what is it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12446 on: 16 September, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »

Come on then, what is it?
More photos will follow when it's completed.
(click to show/hide)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12447 on: 16 September, 2017, 09:30:37 pm »
Hmm. I am intrigued. I look forward to the pictures because it looks like it's cemented down :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12448 on: 16 September, 2017, 09:43:04 pm »
It is concreted in.

The photos don't show the depth.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #12449 on: 20 September, 2017, 03:26:31 pm »
Last night, my first "How to stick bits of metal together" class

Fun!