Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2187004 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14575 on: 18 May, 2020, 04:40:14 pm »
third chain for a ss bike after 7464km

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14576 on: 18 May, 2020, 05:01:59 pm »
Started making a new tote for my Stanley N°5, the old plastic one having snapped at the front screw-hole. Lee Valley do a free drawing & instructions:  https://assets.leevalley.com/Original/10090/56664-stanley-number-5-and-up-plane-tote-c-06-e.pdf  That note in the top left about size is dead on - I had to reduce mine by a few mm to give the adjustment lever clearance.  Final shaping tomorrow.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #14577 on: 18 May, 2020, 06:09:26 pm »
Fitted a rack to Mrs H's bike, as she has taken a fancy to my nice new Super C panniers  :'(

« Reply #14578 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:41:24 pm »
Built up an 'old school' Dave Hinde time trial bike, from various bits (Campag cranks & front mech; Shimano 9 speed shifters and rear mech; Sram Rival brake calipers and cassette).  :smug:

Now I have no excuse not to enter time trials this year...  :D

Oh bugger.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14579 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:49:02 pm »
I bought two Hope Pro Mono hubs off Rob B a few years ago. Finally I have a use for them and have built them both up. Laced tensioned and trued. They just require taped, shod and pumped before going on my bike.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #14580 on: 19 May, 2020, 06:45:30 pm »
Built up an 'old school' Dave Hinde time trial bike, from various bits (Campag cranks & front mech; Shimano 9 speed shifters and rear mech; Sram Rival brake calipers and cassette).  :smug:

Now I have no excuse not to enter time trials this year...  :D

Oh bugger.  :facepalm:

Took it for a ride today!  :D

:thumbsup:

« Reply #14581 on: 19 May, 2020, 07:42:14 pm »
Finally got to use one of the contents of the packet of Schraeder valve cores that I inherited from my father.

Next door neighbour's bike had an 'incurable' flat.

Fifty mumble something years and I've finally encountered a knackered valve core.
Rust never sleeps

Dave_C

« Reply #14582 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:13:43 pm »
Nice ride Wobbly! I too have taken the time while house bound to build up an old Dolan Dual frame with spare parts from my drawers in the garage. It is lovely and light and quite nice to bomb around the town on.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14583 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:33:44 pm »
This evening I have mostly been learning how to use a thread tapper to remove all the powder coating in it  :facepalm:

2020-05-20_07-12-02 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Tomorrow's job will be to try to excavate the crown race  >:(

2020-05-20_07-11-39 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14584 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:12:20 pm »
This evening I have mostly been learning how to use a thread tapper to remove all the powder coating in it  :facepalm:

2020-05-20_07-12-02 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Tomorrow's job will be to try to excavate the crown race  >:(

2020-05-20_07-11-39 by The Pingus, on Flickr

.... next time : insert old bolts in all the threaded orifices (mudguard eyes, bottle cage bosses, derailleur hanger if built in etc ) and old style cups in the BB.  Just take them out and threads will be ready for use.  The coater should have taped the crown race before coating (and put some heat-resistant paper in the head and seat tubes to mask them).

Rob

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14585 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:53:05 pm »
I would have but the coater claimed they did all the masking.

« Reply #14586 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:00:08 pm »
Hmmmm, I think I've only got 1" crown cutters (both sizes)  :demon

Today's fettlement for me was fitting a 24V dc motor to the mini lathe, along with a 24V PSU and speed control.  :smug:

All working - just need to make a vented case for the PSU, and turn a pulley for the motor...  :facepalm:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14587 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:24:31 pm »
If you cut the paint with a sharp knife, that crown race should tap off ok and it'll be bare metal underneath.  I assume they didn't fill the steerer threads too (if it's threaded)?  That would be a real PITA as fork dies are a bit niche.

I'd have removed the crown race before painting and cleaned the seat when it came back, which I think is conventional.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14588 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:29:28 pm »
I cut the Twenty forks (not original) from JIS to ISO, reamed and faced the head tube and fitted a Tange Falcon, which Condor are currently doing for £15 and is a real fit-and-forget headset.

« Reply #14589 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:44:52 pm »
I assume they didn't fill the steerer threads too (if it's threaded)?  That would be a real PITA as fork dies are a bit niche.

Got the Park dies guides and holder, both 1" & 9/8"...  :smug:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14590 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:00:06 pm »
If you cut the paint with a sharp knife, that crown race should tap off ok and it'll be bare metal underneath.  I assume they didn't fill the steerer threads too (if it's threaded)?  That would be a real PITA as fork dies are a bit niche.

I'd have removed the crown race before painting and cleaned the seat when it came back, which I think is conventional.

Actually I forgot the race wasn't part of the fork. It wasn't tremendously obvious when we looked.

« Reply #14591 on: 20 May, 2020, 11:21:08 pm »
Good colour though  :thumbsup:

« Reply #14592 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:11:50 pm »
Did a few little chores on the Cube:
* Fitted new rim tapes to prevent similar punctures to the one I had last week where the inner tube was forced through the old tape into the inner spoke hole
* While I was at it I added Slime to the tubes
* Cleaned & lubed the chain & I think the Park Tool cleaner needs new brushes
* Changed the front brake pads
* Bolstered the sat nav body holder to prevent it slipping

Then I got bored and fitted the edison screw light pendants. Fiddlier than I was expecting, but done.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14593 on: 21 May, 2020, 08:42:27 pm »
Good colour though  :thumbsup:

Fanks! (Kawasaki green with 'rock star fleck' I know it's only a commuter but I went to all the trouble...)

Tonight I took a Dremel-a-like to the crown race and got all the threads in the BB cups and deraileur hanger sorted. Not sure if I need to do something with the overspray on the inside of the headtube but if I do that'll be another job for the Dremel-a-like.
Tomorrow or Saturday I'll put the Surly stickers on (any tips?) before I start reassembly.

And I bought another Wera Joker ratcheting spanner to do up the bastardy fiddly 8mm bolts on the inside of the seatstays for the rear rack. Hopefully that will arrive tomorrow. (Yes, that should probably live in the tool pr0n thread).

Dave_C

« Reply #14594 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:54:53 am »
Our outside tap stopped working. We live in a bungalow and the toilet water feed is tapped off to the outside tap, via an inside isolator tap.

When I installed the bathroom a couple of years ago, I left a door, next to the toilet, tiled, for access to the pipework, which is hidden normally. It was fortunate as the pipework needed a fix. I have copper pipes with plastic JG speedfit fittings. One of the speedfittings had broken, blocking the pipe and also developing a minor leak when I reassembled, after the initial disassembly.

Fortunately for me I don't through anything away, and keep everything! in boxes in my garage. I found a spare corner JG Speedfit in a packet. The replacement fixed the leak and lack of water out of the outside tap. Screwfix had just closed too, isn't it always the way, you need something as the shop closes.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14595 on: 22 May, 2020, 11:13:59 am »
Fitted the front mudguard to the Twenty and the dynamo lights.  Need a piece of alu tube to arrive as a spacer for the rear mudguard (you can't just bolt 406-sized mudguards onto a frame designed for 451-sized wheels, it would look silly).  Going to bolt through the tube to the provided hole in the Pletscher plate.  I haven't decided on the chainstay-end fitting yet.  There is a clip available but it is of course designed for bigger diameter guards.  If it looks crap then I might attach directly to the seat tube (BBB do a suitable mount and the Elite clip-on bottle bosses also work), again with a long bolt through a spacing tube.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14596 on: 22 May, 2020, 07:05:55 pm »
Put Surly stickers on the frame. They were an absolute !#$@€.

2020-05-22_06-21-56 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Except the other side it didn't ffffing fffit fffine and disintegrated into a million tiny pieces. (Every one of those letters and the dots are a seperate sticker).

2020-05-22_06-23-35 by The Pingus, on Flickr

2020-05-22_06-23-22 by The Pingus, on Flickr

There are another 4 stickers in the pack, but given that every letter tries to leap off the frame when you remove the application tape I decided that a) that way lies insanity and b) less is more

« Reply #14597 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:20:24 pm »
Put Surly stickers on the frame. They were an absolute !#$@€.

2020-05-22_06-21-56 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Except the other side it didn't ffffing fffit fffine and disintegrated into a million tiny pieces. (Every one of those letters and the dots are a seperate sticker).

2020-05-22_06-23-35 by The Pingus, on Flickr

2020-05-22_06-23-22 by The Pingus, on Flickr

There are another 4 stickers in the pack, but given that every letter tries to leap off the frame when you remove the application tape I decided that a) that way lies insanity and b) less is more

That looks really good, well done! Cracking colour too.

« Reply #14598 on: 22 May, 2020, 10:44:14 pm »
^^+1 Like the sparkle in it.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14599 on: 22 May, 2020, 11:23:37 pm »
Thank you :)