Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2187999 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16150 on: 07 August, 2021, 06:30:26 pm »
New handle on an Ortlieb pannier that I got from eBay. For some reason the hook inserts were falling out, seems the hooks were worn. The nice people at Ortlieb sent a new handle kit that incl. inserts foc  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16151 on: 07 August, 2021, 07:14:48 pm »
Rebuilding a SH M737 hub (ebay). I expected to find a steel washer between the freehub body and hub shell but Shimano's exploded diagram showed this model didn't have one. After flushing the rust, grease and assorted crap out of the freehub body, there is huge (perhaps 1mm?) amounts of play. Feeling quite miffed at this point.

I have an oldish Ultegra freehub with a pitted cup and this old XT freehub with a good cup but dodgy guts. We’ll see if this hub can be salvaged, which would be nice. It would be good to get my GT LTS-1 working properly. The Spin tri-spoke wheels I bought it with had the traditional crapped out rear hub, with no spare parts available. I may get them converted to be aero rear wheels for HK's Trykit, just for fun.

Lubed the chains on my fixed and my trike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #16152 on: 07 August, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »
The kitchen's borrowed light window to the hall - half fettled, anyway.
 SWMBO broke it decades ago, and stopped up the large hole with a fleece dog bed and some plywood. The glass and beading is inaccessible from the hallway so I'm creating one on the other side by nailing some lath into the frame. AGES since I've brayed nails into wood  ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16153 on: 13 August, 2021, 06:15:08 pm »
After Pingu put me to shame by totally purging and tidying his side of the wardrobe shelving I got rid of 6 pairs of jeans and some other stuff and then we took 3 bags of apparel to the clothing bank, again.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16154 on: 13 August, 2021, 08:18:20 pm »
Fitted complete new gear cables to a friend’s Chameleon and straightened the gear hanger. It shifts much better but could do with a new chain and 9sp cassette. I will fit new brake cables and retape the bars this weekend.

Hopefully the comparatively low stepover height will help her get her knee working better. One of her other bikes got totalled by a driver and she is recovering slowly from significant damage. This Airnimal frame seems to be cracking in the usual way but should be serviceable for a few months.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16155 on: 13 August, 2021, 09:06:07 pm »
After Pingu put me to shame by totally purging and tidying his side of the wardrobe shelving I got rid of 6 pairs of jeans and some other stuff and then we took 3 bags of apparel to the clothing bank, again.
Impressive! I'm sure I've owned more than 6 pairs of jeans – over the course of my life so far. My wardrobe is mostly full of wheels, tools and offcuts of old mudguard. Isn't that what they're for?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16156 on: 13 August, 2021, 09:06:49 pm »
I've been unfettling the brambles in the gardenette, mostly so I won't get punctures.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16157 on: 13 August, 2021, 09:15:46 pm »
Completed a lean-to shed to store the towbar-mount bike rack and the old hack pub bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16158 on: 13 August, 2021, 11:03:45 pm »
Impressive! I'm sure I've owned more than 6 pairs of jeans – over the course of my life so far. My wardrobe is mostly full of wheels, tools and offcuts of old mudguard. Isn't that what they're for?

I think I currently own 7 pairs of jeans.

4 actually fit.  (Having found jeans that fit and have pockets, I immediately bought 3 more pairs.)

2 are almost new, sadly lacking in the pocket department, and far too big.

1 is also far too big, extremely worn/faded, and comes out with the aid of a sturdy belt if I'm likely to covered in paint or similar.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16159 on: 13 August, 2021, 11:34:25 pm »
Oh dear, I still have way too many pairs then  :facepalm:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16160 on: 14 August, 2021, 01:06:45 am »

Dunno why I bothered with tyding, thobut.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16161 on: 14 August, 2021, 10:07:52 pm »
Fitted a new rear brake cable and casing to a Chameleon and retaped the bars. It needs a chain, cassette and middle chainring at some point.

Found that HK’s superlight Brommie had cracked a front hub flange, releasing four spokes from captivity. Time to build a new wheel around a Brommie+ front hub and unused rim from the garage spare parts pile. Brommie+ brag that their own hubs don’t crack their flanges, even if laced radially, so hopefully the problem will be solved forever.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16162 on: 14 August, 2021, 10:14:25 pm »
Made a box of homebrew electronics talk to someone else's box of homebrew electronics.

With any luck this will all be failing to operate at Darley Moor at the end of the month.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16163 on: 15 August, 2021, 03:29:41 pm »
Replaced the batteries in HK’s Powertap hub and adjusted the rear brake on her Roberts.

« Reply #16164 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:40:25 pm »
Repaired my 50 something year old B&D Workmate.
Filed a sheared adjustable foot stud down. Drilled it to quarter inch hole and tapped it 8mm by 1.5mm.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #16165 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:42:03 pm »
Another one of these.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #16166 on: 15 August, 2021, 06:04:52 pm »
My Landis & Gyr RWB200cw CH controller gave up the ghost so I replaced it with a Drayton LP822
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #16167 on: 15 August, 2021, 11:24:29 pm »
Striped down my old favourite bike wheels, Campag novo record  hubs / 700 c mavic  ma 40 rims  ( cost me £ 100 in 1986 ) . Cleaned ,re greased  & polished the hubs                                   
Polished the old 27 " Weinmann rim & spokes  I striped off the Longsaff conversion                                               
 Then built up a rear wheel for the Claud butler project , using the Campag hubs & Weinmann rim .( Because 700c look a bit silly on a 1951 bike )          That's the fourth wheel I have built in five days . Before that one in a life time & that was just a like for like rim swap . Its a bit addictive this wheel building . :)

Its More Fun With Three .

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16168 on: 17 August, 2021, 10:39:06 pm »
Laced up a new front wheel for HK’s Brompton. Tomorrow evening’s job is to tension and true it for her to ride to her appointment on Friday.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16169 on: 18 August, 2021, 09:20:12 pm »
Trued up and fitted the new front wheel to HK’s B.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16170 on: 19 August, 2021, 08:24:06 am »
A game of two halves today:

Fetched more timber for the fence in the garden (price up 20% from July  >:( ) then barrowed 2 builder bags of topsoil round to the back of the house.

Then into the "mini-LBS" in my garage to fit new shifters to an ancient MTB that a friend is giving to another friend and pressing new BB bearings into a Trek carbon frame for a paying customer by complete contrast.

All part of life's rich pattern - coming days appear to be going to be a mix of the above type of tasks - with a 2 day respite when I'm off on a short cycle tour.

« Reply #16171 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:16:43 am »
In prep for mini's BigRide® he was lucky enough to be given an Ortlieb saddle pack and Topeak tool box. First ride out and the bag bounced off the saddle. He stood in the busy road directing the traffic around it (including a bus) until he could get to it. Small car went straight over it. Bag holed and tool box split. One very pissed off mini.

Anyhow, I knew I had an Ortlieb repair kit somewhere which facilitated a perfect repair a few years ago.

Could I find it ?  Could I bugger.   I turned out two shelves of 'odds and ends' in my wardrobe, two of the draws in my bedside cabinet, two cubbies in the kitchen and the entire content of my large bike spares box in the garage. (All very useful activity and I did clear a whole bunch of crap out.) All fruitless.

Last call was the oversize tools/smaller spares toolbox in the garage. Bingo !!!  Right at the very bottom of course.

Anyhow, net result is a patched Ortlieb saddle pack. Very satisfying.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #16172 on: 19 August, 2021, 10:11:23 am »
And one further incredibly satisfying fall out from yesterday's activities is that one of the bits of clutter I threw out was metal box that some Lakrids liquorice had come in. Sitting looking at the collection of now homeless Topeak tools on the kitchen table I realised that I could put the box to use.

Bingo !!   They all fit in perfectly.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16173 on: 19 August, 2021, 04:56:14 pm »
Various adjustments and greasings on barakta's n+1 wheelchair-shaped object.  Making the sort of tutting/sighing noises that cyclists tend to make when faced with non-racing wheelchairs throughout.

It's as cheesy as you'd expect for a hundred quid, but is reasonably light, and ought to suffice for pushing her to the hospital/swimming pool for a few months.  We've confirmed it fits through the door.

In a decision that I may come to regret, I've installed a decent bicycle bell.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16174 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:44:25 pm »
I took down the living room curtain with cat pee stains on it (which involved Pingu steadying the step ladder while I teetered and tried to use an allan key unsighted).
Shoved it in the washing machine, and despite all the Do Not Machine Wash warnings it actually came out amazing, no creases (despite turning itself inside out, at which point I decided the reverse of the fabric was much nicer than the front) and now the white cotton lining looks white instead of pee stained.  :smug: