Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167979 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #950 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:42:50 am »
Fitted a new chain to Theia too.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #951 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:14:44 am »
And I put a new chain on the commuter. Plus a thorough clean, including crank removal. It only gets that on chain changing - so about twice a year.

« Reply #952 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:56:11 am »
Fixed the Dyson yesterday - the carbon motor brushes were sticking in their carriers and not sliding further out to compensate for the bits that had worn off. There is something quite satisfying about working on domestic appliances.

gordon taylor

« Reply #953 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:03:50 am »
My Surly singulator chain tensioner came loose and went into the spokes on my Ridgeback at about 15 mph...

Result? Bent hanger, pringled wheel, wrecked tensioner, three broken spokes and several bent spokes.

What a mess.  :-[

Miraculously, I already have a new hanger that fits and I'll refit the original tensioner - which I'd only changed for aesthteic reasons. (Plonker)

« Reply #954 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:39:18 am »
Nothing, yet, but I will soon.  Theia needs a good clean and inspection after several days commuting in cruddy weather.

« Reply #955 on: 25 October, 2009, 12:08:29 pm »
New brake blocks for the Tempo. Worn down almost completely. I didn't have a rear brake for the first part of yesterday's 200, including going down Titsey Hill.

Realised I don't keep track of when I change them so I've got no idea how long they've lasted.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #956 on: 25 October, 2009, 12:11:04 pm »
You should make a note on the components section of Bikejournal.

« Reply #957 on: 25 October, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »
You should make a note on the components section of Bikejournal.

I do for chain servicing, tyre changing, punctures, etc.

It doesn't help that the bike service report feature reports odd/crap mileages, nor can you add individual notes to the service report (without having to service a chain or a tyre). This has been "in progress" for years...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #958 on: 25 October, 2009, 01:26:56 pm »
Last weekend I scrubbed the bike thoroughly, especially the chain and cassette because I was taking it in for a pre-winter service on Thursday. First thing he said to me was "you'll need a new chain and cassette."  ::-) ;D Picked it up just now. Shiny.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Chris N

« Reply #959 on: 25 October, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »
Trued the rear wheel on the Roadrat.  Put a bit too much tension on some old spokes and snapped a nipple. >:(  So had to back off the whole wheel, add a new nipple and re-true.  Then re-fitted the Midge bars in readiness for a bit of monster cross action over the winter.

« Reply #960 on: 25 October, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »
While cleaning Theia found the crud in the cassette was like concrete so decided to take the rings off.  Good job I did as I then peeked inside the Hope hub and found loads of crud in amongst the palls.  Then found one pall spring has broken.  Gave it all a huge clean and lube and I feel much better now.   ;D

Managed to 'Nutty' my little finger on a spoke though and have blood to show for it.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #961 on: 25 October, 2009, 06:57:07 pm »
I've been making a right pig's ear of trying to adjust my gears.  I don't think I'll ever crack this.

alan

« Reply #962 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »
I've been making a right pig's ear of trying to adjust my gears.  I don't think I'll ever crack this.

I too am gifted with the same talent ::-)

« Reply #963 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »
I used to be.  Just keep at it.  Stop have a cuppa, then go back to the drawing board.

« Reply #964 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:40:07 pm »
cleaned my Dolan, added an extension to it's front mudguard, fitted new tyres, stripped La Chignole, washed my Hewitt.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #965 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:48:52 pm »
Fitted the Brooks Swift to the fixie. One of these days I might actually ride it. (Haven't been out for over a fortnight now due to the most persistent cold I have ever had  :(  )

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #966 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:50:27 pm »
Gah.  Tried to fettle Butterfly's SwingGrip, but the band of cheese gave up.  >:(
Getting there...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #967 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:15:51 pm »
Just put some M520s on my commuting bike, couldn't cope with the single sided Lidl faffage any longer. 

Still, at £19.95 inc postage and cleats it can't be bad.

« Reply #968 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »
Today has been a good day  :smug:  (subject to testing)

I have fettled...

Wowbagger's Mercian.

Mrs Nutty's Wardrobe.

« Reply #969 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:20:46 pm »
I have put a long strip onto the front mudguard as a super dooper mudflap.  It is brown and just a trial to see if it makes enough of a difference.  Father in Law is searching for a better option using black thin but softly flexible plastic.

« Reply #970 on: 01 November, 2009, 04:42:16 pm »
Took an MKS pedal partially apart to tighten and grease, and set the iMagic up.   I needed the pedal for the turbo hack.   Oh, I had to put a new cmos battery into the turbo pc too. 

All set up for winter...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #971 on: 01 November, 2009, 04:49:16 pm »
I managed to swap the tyres on both Superstoker's bikes, and adjust the gears and brakes on his hybrid :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #972 on: 01 November, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »
I have installed mud flaps MkIII onto Theia.  Damp coursing is ace.  Big test ride tomorrow on my commute.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #973 on: 01 November, 2009, 04:59:24 pm »
Replaced the bearings in my Campag hub and put new springs and pauls palls pawls in the freehub.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #974 on: 01 November, 2009, 05:02:33 pm »
Made some mudflaps, three, and a rear lamp bracket.