Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134580 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #1000 on: 16 November, 2009, 01:09:31 pm »
Fitted a Dog Fang on the carbon one. At the other end of the £ and age scale...changed the gearing on the s/s '89 Fire Mountain and discarded the tensioner as 42x19 seems to be magic (if a trifle tight!).
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #1001 on: 16 November, 2009, 03:00:28 pm »
Took the new chain off and installed the worn chain I had taken off.  No skipping so I can go to work tomorrow and I've ordered a new cassette.  I think that chain, the first one due rotation is not going to be worth it.  Stretched to 0.75 already after only 1000 miles.  I reckon this time of year what with the wet and the grit is harder on chains.  Soon when it gets cold and crisp things will be better.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1002 on: 17 November, 2009, 05:55:06 pm »
Tonight the S3X will be cabled up and ridden.

It's been 50 years in the making.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1003 on: 17 November, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »
I took all the keys off my keyboard and brushed all the detritus (beard hairs, biscuit crumbs, general other human remains) out of it and put all the keys back in. It's working better now.
I peoh ouy utp mhet abck ni het ghtri rrode.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1004 on: 17 November, 2009, 07:18:21 pm »
I have fettled a caravan into a state of cleanliness,nay sparkling even,& covered it with a weatherproof/breathable winter coat.
Then I cleaned my fixed wheel bike.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1005 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:05:18 pm »
Tonight the S3X will be cabled up and ridden.

It's been 50 years in the making.

*rubs thighs in disturbing Vic Reeves manner* :P
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1006 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:07:01 pm »
I was so embarrassed by the squeaking coming from my chain that I cleaned & lubed it before coming in the house this evening, to avoid being arrested by the RSPCA Inspectors for torturing mice.

Then I used SCIENCE to straighten my rear mech, which has been a wee bit out for a few days.
Getting there...

gordon taylor

« Reply #1007 on: 17 November, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »
I fettled a new five-string rectractable washing line above the radiator in the cloakroom at work. Thus the two of us who cycle regularly can drape and dry our clothes during the day.  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1008 on: 18 November, 2009, 09:20:17 am »
I fettled a new five-string rectractable washing line above the radiator in the cloakroom at work. Thus the two of us who cycle regularly can drape and dry our clothes during the day.  :thumbsup:

can you play Layla onit yet? :demon:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1009 on: 21 November, 2009, 04:26:06 pm »
replaced the rear brake blocks on fixed wheel bike
fitted rear mudgaurd to same bike
fitted Topeak bar extender & front lights to same bike
fitted a tri-bag to top tube/stem of same bike

fitted a map trap to handle bars of geared bike in readiness for forthcoming audax rides.

made sure both bikes are carrying two spare inner tubes & fairy-visit repair kit & tyre levers

both bikes now have a computer

sterilised two 750ml bidons using Milton fluid.The aroma made me think back to when my offspring were babies.

gave my new Brooks Swallow saddle a 2nd dose of proofide so that it can be sent to Santa & be ready for use immediatley on Christmas day 28th December

« Reply #1010 on: 21 November, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »
Carefully removed the seals on the cartridge bearings on a used FSA Orbit Extreme Pro headset I got from ebay.   A bargain price but not quite so 'hardly used' as the description indicated.

A soak in degreaser, a week to dry then a load of fresh grease should put a few years life back in the thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1011 on: 21 November, 2009, 06:42:04 pm »
"There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can "overhaul" it, or you can ride it."

Thanks to swine flu and Stupid Lungs I'm not going to be doing the latter for a while, so:
Nearly finished replacing all the cables and front brake pads on my Dawes.  Rear mech got a much-needed bath in the ultrasonic cleaner, too.  Need a new noodle boot thingy for the front brake, so that'll have to wait for final adjustment, but the gears and rear brake are all lovely and smooth  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1012 on: 21 November, 2009, 07:22:25 pm »
Finally got round to performing a rim transplant on the back wheel of the Trance.  In the summer I loaned it to a friend then stupidly rammed it at speed on the hardtail - ripping two spokes out of the rim.  I have no previous wheel building experience but, with Sheldon as my guide, the transplant seemed to go relatively well.  I guess that now I need to throw it down some lumpy bits to test it properly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1013 on: 21 November, 2009, 07:40:36 pm »
Well I stripped the pashley princess to a frame then went to cycle surgery to buy the replacement forks.  So then came home and replaced the forks and re assembled the bike, cleaning and lubricating as I went along.

Now to finish measuring measuring the erd on the richley rock pro rim so I can finally build the wheels to put on the fixie.

Really should sell the Moulton Midi, but having no joy on gumtree.  Which is annoying as I want it gone and prefer to have to spend the money on getting the other mouton standard back on the road.

« Reply #1014 on: 21 November, 2009, 10:10:06 pm »
Set up the brakes and fitted the chain to the MTB I'm slowly building up. Would have done the gears but had no cable ferrules, will try to get some at Halfords tomorrow.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1015 on: 21 November, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
I fettled four kids' bikes, and then we went out on a ride.

Lots of hard work I wasn't quite anticipating (though I knew I was going to be doing the toughest), so, while I had a truing stand, I didn't have enough tools :-\

But it worked, and the ride was great fun.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1016 on: 22 November, 2009, 05:00:08 pm »
The long job of fitting full mudguards to the Inbred, which has no chainstay or seatstay bridges and has a front fork with "suspension geometry", which means there is 5" of air between the crown and the tyre.

This has involved a lot of custom work cutting brackets, spacers and drop bolts from round and square section aluminium tubing, as well as a couple of band-on bottle bosses.  Nearly there though, and it looks as good as a bike with mudguards can, or will when I've painted all the bare tubing black to hide it and blend it into the guards.  

Will it be the only fixed Inbred with full mudguards in existence?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1017 on: 22 November, 2009, 05:11:15 pm »
I done mudguards today too. 
I replaced the ancient (ca 1997) Salmon Profils on my winter bike with a pair, with a tasteful reflective yellow stripe, I got from Tom of this parish.  :thumbsup:

I also regreased the internals of the Campag freehub body after an unsuccessful experiment to use oil instead.  :facepalm:
It now sounds like a Swiss watch.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #1018 on: 22 November, 2009, 05:21:45 pm »

Will it be the only fixed Inbred with full mudguards in existence?

Probably, as I don't expect that my stolen one is still thus configured.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1019 on: 22 November, 2009, 05:27:47 pm »
Not really fettled, just lubed the new chain and pumped up the tyres.

Chris N

« Reply #1020 on: 22 November, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »
I done mudguards today too

And me - re-fitted (so an easy job really) the guards to the Roadrat, along with 37mm slicks instead of knobblies, flat bars instead of midges, fitted lights and flipped the wheel to 42x20 - ready for commuting for the rest of the winter. :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1021 on: 22 November, 2009, 06:01:50 pm »
42x20 - ready for commuting for the rest of the winter. :thumbsup:

is it hilly on your commute?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #1022 on: 22 November, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »
Slightly belatedly, replaced the pads on the tandem's disc brake.  Turned out to be far easier than expected, so no need for procrastination next time.

...and just about to order a campag-style BB tool in order to further investigate the ongoing saga of the Strange Clicky Noises from the Tempo.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Chris N

« Reply #1023 on: 22 November, 2009, 06:34:13 pm »
42x20 - ready for commuting for the rest of the winter. :thumbsup:

is it hilly on your commute?

Oops!  I meant 42x18.  I've got 20T on the other side, which I had been using for tooling about off road.

« Reply #1024 on: 22 November, 2009, 10:20:52 pm »
Just about finished painting my Daughters bedroom , just a bit of gloss to go !

;D ;D ;D ;D
Rich