Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2186950 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3325 on: 31 March, 2011, 11:48:06 am »
I cleaned each of the cogs of a 13-26 cassette, individually. I also found my Kryptonite lock and proceeded to test
the unlocking/locking mechanism and twisted the key in the lock.  :facepalm:
Where in the UK can I get a new key(s)?

Anywhere, you can open them with a screwdriver!

Have that bunch of scrotes actually updated their design now, so they are secure.  I had one of the screwdriver openable ones, and Kryptonite's couldn't care less attitude meant they will never again sell me any of their products.  I use Abus now...
Wombat

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3326 on: 31 March, 2011, 12:11:58 pm »
I currently have the front wheel off to repair a puncture  >:(, picked up on last night's trip to a country pub  :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3327 on: 31 March, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

Anywhere, you can open them with a screwdriver!

Have that bunch of scrotes actually updated their design now, so they are secure.  I had one of the screwdriver openable ones, and Kryptonite's couldn't care less attitude meant they will never again sell me any of their products.  I use Abus now...

Kryptonite don't use the tubular pin tumbler lock design any more, so aren't vulnerable to that trick now.  They weren't the only manufacturer to use it before, but for whatever reason, they were the only ones to be hit with a class action suit.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3328 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:39:47 pm »
Replaced a tube on a friends langster as well as brakes pads and a brake cable.

Then managed to brake spokes on a wheel.  I was trying to straighten.  Arse

« Reply #3329 on: 01 April, 2011, 12:35:13 pm »
I cleaned each of the cogs of a 13-26 cassette, individually. I also found my Kryptonite lock and proceeded to test
the unlocking/locking mechanism and twisted the key in the lock.  :facepalm:
Where in the UK can I get a new key(s)?

http://www.supermansparessupplies.com

« Reply #3330 on: 01 April, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »
Batteris charged, lights adjusted in preparation for tonight's ride to Blackpool.
I've also checked the tightness of the mud-guards and rack. I wouldn't like them to fail tonight  ;) .

« Reply #3331 on: 01 April, 2011, 04:48:32 pm »
Replaced a broken spoke on my tourer.  4,000 miles, many fully loaded, isn't too bad for me, but still disappointing.  I loosened the tension on the spokes before re-truing the wheel, hopefully it'll last longer!

I also took the opportunity to replace one of the rack bolts as it was knackered, and cleaned the drivetrain.  I had to go and find a spare rear derailleur to remind myself how it went back together :-[

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3332 on: 01 April, 2011, 06:45:09 pm »
Refitted the rear BB and cranks (trued the big ring) to the road tandem after drilling a hole in the shell. Next is sorting out the front BB shell so the eccentric rotates nicely.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #3333 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »
A puncture  >:(.

I fixed it in a graveyard. It was warm, and sunny, and pleasant. If you have to change a tube - you may as well make it fun. It was.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3334 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:36:02 pm »
Stripped the nipples on two wheels then greased as the nipples as  6 nipples had broken and a spoke on one wheel and the other was just hard to turn and broke a spoke.  Oh well shop tomorrow for a spoke or two.

« Reply #3335 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:43:54 pm »
Took off tub with a slow puncture. Annoyingly the puncture is where the valve is.

Got out another tub, applied glue and fitted to wheel. Also trued up wheel.

« Reply #3336 on: 02 April, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »
Removed three thorns from the front tyre of Mlle PB's tourer and restored wheel to good health.

Fitted a shorter B&M front lamp bracket to Mlle PB's tourer thus lowering her front lamp slightly reducing obstruction when barbag in place.

Re-fettled the rear lamp on my audax machine as it had developed a dodgy connection (again).

Spent an inordinate amount of time getting my Crapag rear 9 to work across all nine once again.   It likes to default to eight, skipping the smallest but one in the process.   This is the year when I abandon the Crapag experiment and revert back to reliable and predictable Shimano loveliness.   I like Crapag ergos but I loathe things that just don't work properly.   No debate necessary   :)       

Fitted the Pixeo auto to Mlle PB's audax machine replacing her rear mudguard reflector with the new lamp.

General check over and lube job on both audax machines.

Made a list of the pre-disposal fettling to be done to the four machines which have been designated surplus to requirements.

Made a list of all less-urgent fettling required for audax and touring machines.

Time for coffee...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3337 on: 02 April, 2011, 06:39:17 pm »
g.d.'s Isla bike needed.....
tyres inflating to sensible pressure
rear mudgaurd adjusting to prevent rubbing on tyre
rear mech adjusting to get chain onto largest sprocket
saddle highering

all done,no probs..

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3338 on: 02 April, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »
Washed the Ridley

Drank coffee and discussed bikes with assorted YACFers, which led to a trip to the LBS to purchase:

1" Aheadset
triple chainset
BB for above
front mech for above
shifter for above
2* grey Swalbe durano tyres

first and last are for my bikes, the rest are for converting Mrs T's Raliegh Metro from a single chainring to a triple, and to go from 46t to 42t.

On my return I removed the offending items and fitted BB, cranks and mech.

Now just need to fit shifter, run cable and adjust everything :)

This is all as a mothers day pressie for my lovely wife :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3339 on: 02 April, 2011, 08:00:53 pm »
The very least that she deserves! Actually, isn't a nice set of ergon grips and barends missing from that shopping list?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3340 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »
I've fettled cycle carriers between cars so that the Volvo will accommodate 3 bikes on the roof.

tiermat

« Reply #3341 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:33:51 pm »
The very least that she deserves! Actually, isn't a nice set of ergon grips and barends missing from that shopping list?

Ssssssssssssssssssshhhhh!!!!

they are the one thing the LBS don't stock, although she has found them on wiggle, along with a new saddle :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3342 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:36:17 pm »
can she not find a new bike with them on? :demon: ;D

tiermat

« Reply #3343 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:38:00 pm »
can she not find a new bike with them on? :demon: ;D

Don't you start, CL nearly had her convinced that she wants a Valencia.....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3344 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »
Only nearly?You mean CL failed?
That's a first :demon: ;D

dons tin & flak jacket ;)

tiermat

« Reply #3345 on: 05 April, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »
Only nearly?You mean CL failed?
That's a first :demon: ;D

dons tin & flak jacket ;)

YES! i think cake and coffee intervened.... :)

« Reply #3346 on: 05 April, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »
I fettled a puncture on my dog walking bike. By gods it's annoying mending a puncture on a bike without a QR skewer. I must get round to changing it since I have a spare one somewhere. I hate those punctures where there is nothing to see in the tyre even when you identify the exact location it must have happened. It was fine after a ride though.

I really had to resist the urge to fettle sheep feet on my ride, whenever I see a lame sheep I really want to turn it over and fettle it's hooves with my hoof knife, despite the fact I have done no cloven-hoof fettling in over 18 years!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3347 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:15:41 am »
I fettled the lid of Little Cudzo's new dabha, so he can actually open it to get at his sandwiches.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3348 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:21:44 am »
They last longer if he can't, you know...
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3349 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:30:20 am »
But he can still get to the biscuits and the pear in the other section. It's just the sandwich section that had a very tight lid, and I don't want him to fill up on biscuits alone. Anyway, is this preserving sandwiches from children lark a trick you learnt from Butterfly's work?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.