Author Topic: Be careful out there - Montana, USA department  (Read 1861 times)

Re: Be careful out there - Montana, USA department
« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »
A 2000 study in Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada, found that though hikers greatly outnumber bikers on trails, the number of bear encounters for the bikers was disproportionately high. The study attributed the numbers to increased speed and stealth when traveling...

Suggests aggression is not the first bear reaction to humans.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2017, 04:46:22 pm »
It sounds as if the bear's reaction to the collision was similar to many humans'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2017, 08:31:24 am »
Like a bear with a sore head?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2017, 02:37:00 pm »
Similar incident happened to a mountain biker near Banff while I was out there on a holiday some years back.  Local reports said that he had been out for an early morning ride when he had encountered the bear, which would have been just out of hibernation. If I recall correctly, the bear didn't have him for breakfast, which suggests a similar set of circumstances.

It certainly made me very cautious when I was out walking in those hills though.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2017, 01:33:53 am »
I've backpacked in Glacier National Park (nearby, as far as Montana calculates distances) and for one trip we had to do a substantial detour because bears had been seen on the trail.

Talked with some park rangers later in the hike.  They said "a few miles down the trail you will see a place where a bear has been bedding down next to the trail".  Since no one had seen the bear, the trail wasn't closed ... but its bed was about 5 feet from the trial.  Later on, walked through a birch forest where bears had clawed at trees for food in early spring.  Gouges from claws were about 12' up the trees ... bears had been standing on snow, I hope.