Author Topic: WHAT IS A CTC MEMBER?  (Read 2291 times)

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
WHAT IS A CTC MEMBER?
« on: 03 April, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
WHAT IS A CTC MEMBER?
It looks like to me even if CTC members voice opinion against something the CTC Council takes no notice.

ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION OF CYCLISTS TOURING CLUB

10.6   The Trustees may establish different classes of Members and recognise one or more classes of supporters who are not Members (but who may nevertheless be termed as “members”) and set out   their respective rights and obligations (including payment of Membership Fees save that such fees may not be imposed until approved by the members).

Cycling UK - Report – Memorandum and Articles

Amendments following Member Consultation
the membership   structure of Cycling   UK should   remain   unaltered
(92.72% of responding members agreed with this proposition);

3          Should there be provision for ‘supporters’ or ‘informal members’ who are not members of the charity for the purposes of company law?

This is a commonly used means to make clear that a charity may decide for engaging people who do not wish to become company members of   the charity, and have no   interest in participating in its governance, but may be willing to support the charity by making a small donation or in other ways. For that reason, we propose to leave this provision in place.

However, it is clear from the survey responses that the reasons for this proposal need to be explained more clearly to members.  Some appear to believe the proposal was designed to ‘water down’ the role of existing members while others simply did not understand the reason for the proposal.
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Re: WHAT IS A CTC MEMBER?
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2017, 07:16:33 pm »
Why are you doing this?

Edit: And I do genuinely mean that in the nicest possible way...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Philip Benstead

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:50:10 pm »
IMHO
so they can go to HMG and say look at how "members" we got give us some money

also

Dilute the power of the membership

then convert full members into supporter so they how full power to control things

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:16:47 pm »
I'm a CUK / CTC member;

I joined for the TPI; but now owe them a lifetime debt for their impeccable legal service

apart from that I don't really care what they do as an over-arching organisation, the local DA's do an excellent job organising the various AUK rides I do under their auspices. The mag's OK

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:24:47 pm »
the local DA's do an excellent job organising the various AUK rides I do under their auspices

I've always had the impression that DAs exist as semi-autonomous bodies distinct from the national organisation. The true spirit of the CTC surely lives on in their work regardless of the political infighting at head office.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:38:47 pm »
Though many of the DAs have moved to affiliated groups because of unhappiness with the direction of the national organisation over the past few years; my local group is going to decide later this month whether to follow suit. On the one hand I think a lot of the dissatisfaction is old farts unhappy with change; but I do agree there's been a fair amount of jiggery-pokery at the top. On balance, though, I think having a national campaigning organisation for cyclists is a good and important thing, and is the main reason I stump up my annual fee (though the insurance is also important.)

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2017, 11:10:32 pm »

Philip Benstead

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2017, 06:22:29 am »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »
IMHO
so they can go to HMG and say look at how "members" we got give us some money

Seems unlikely given that the government don't want to spend on police, schools, health care