Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191231 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride WITH ADDED TORSLANDA
« Reply #325 on: 25 September, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »
I may manage to put in an appearance, if you make allowances for scrotes Lancastrians... It might be nice to reunite Interzen with the Fisher wot he used to own

Oh FFS! I am officially, SHITE this week, I completely forgot about the "WITH ADDED TORSLANDA"

Sorry fella, now, hopefully, rectified :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #326 on: 26 September, 2012, 01:20:55 am »
No worries. As long as we stay away from low lying areas we should be OK.

Did you see any more of that bloke walking down your road? The one leading the animals with some planks on his shoulder?

Never mind, Thursday should see me sailing straight up the A1(M) . . .  :thumbsup:

ETA: No. I don't want to go down Shark Lane, either . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #327 on: 27 September, 2012, 10:42:46 am »
No shark lane for me in these conditions. But my attendance is contingent on being able to get to and then back from work, in time for a train that may or may not run. I'll let you know how it plays out but at the moment it isn't looking good.

« Reply #328 on: 27 September, 2012, 01:52:16 pm »
Anyone know if the A167's open Darlo-Northallerton? I heard it was shut at Great Smeaton.

I doubt the lanes will be a good idea. It always floods north of Streetlam.

« Reply #329 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »
Anyone know if the A167's open Darlo-Northallerton? I heard it was shut at Great Smeaton.

I doubt the lanes will be a good idea. It always floods north of Streetlam.
It's open according to this:

http://www.traffic-update.co.uk/a-roads/a167.asp

although, looking at that it doesn't show any of the road closures in York.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #330 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:23:34 pm »
Cheers!

Lass at work who lives in Northallerton says it was clear this morning, too.

I'm already having to be creative on my route out of Darlo. All the alternatives to the A66 bypass seem to be shut.

« Reply #331 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »
I've given up on planning a set route for tomorrow and sat. I'm going to bring a big map and just treat it like a mystery tour.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #332 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
Likely as not, all the water'll be down in the flatlands by then. I doubt it'll affect my route much, except maybes the first bit out of Darlo, and into Carlisle.

What route are you planning, by the way?

« Reply #333 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »
Pretty much as per Tan Hill night right route as far as Scotch Corner, then via Gilling West and Whorton to Barnard Castle.

Might go via Middleton in teesdale from there.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #334 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:46:10 pm »
Pretty much as per Tan Hill night right route as far as Scotch Corner, then via Gilling West and Whorton to Barnard Castle.

If you are passing this way tomorrow, and need a coffee, or just want to stop for a little bit, please feel free to pop by, I will be in all day (until about 17:30 when I need to go to the station for my train)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #335 on: 27 September, 2012, 02:56:33 pm »

If you are passing this way tomorrow, and need a coffee, or just want to stop for a little bit, please feel free to pop by, I will be in all day (until about 17:30 when I need to go to the station for my train)
Might take you up on that - don't seem to have your number - will PM.

I am trying to not stop - just plod all day - 'cause I'm very slow into a headwind.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

« Reply #336 on: 27 September, 2012, 03:56:04 pm »
Woo hoo!  Got there.  Got back.  About to go home, then station-wards.  It is looking more hopeful than earlier!

tiermat

« Reply #337 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:28:38 am »
Yet another fantastic night.

Lets start with the important stuff, the beer of choice last night was Hook Norton's Hooky.

Food was (in no particular order):
Bambi
Cheeze burger
chips

Riding:
Myself
Deano
CL
Mrs T
Torslanda

The day had changeable weather, and at times I worried that we may see a repeat of the biblical downpours that we had on Monday.  However by the time we had all assembled, drunk coffee/tea, got changed and readied bikes the sky was starting to clear.  Out on the back road to Yafforth (which myself and Torslanda had reccee'd earlier and been amazed by the high water line), then on to Danby Whiske, whereupon Mrs T's super duper bright light failed, or at least the battery ran out.  A quick swap out saw her lit up again and off we went to Streetlam, up a few little hills and FAST back down the other side.  A short while after Streetlam we joined the main NTR > Scorton road (the one shown on the news the other night as being under water) for a grinding drag up to the Thrintoft turn off.  We swept down that road, being buzzed by 3 4X4s, but even that didn't dampen our spirits, or ruin the ride.  Into the pub for beer and food, then the road way home (even Deano admitted he didn't fancy Shark Lane last night).  Down to Ainderby Steeple saw us riding along a virtually deserted road, at the crossroads we found out why, the road is closed due to the bridge at Morton being underwater (it being on the Swale).  It was on this road that Mrs T and CL were tracked by an owl, firstly on their right, then it flew across the road and tracked them on their left for a while.  A fast swoop down in Romanby saw us home at just after 22:00, happy, smiling and just nicely tired.

CL departed for the station, Tors nearly fell asleep on our sofa, again (I should maybe get a blue plaque made for that sofa "Torslanda slept here") until we mentioned he should really be getting a move on, I helped him load his car and off he went into the night.

As I said previously, a brilliant night all round, really.

« Reply #338 on: 28 September, 2012, 10:35:35 am »
That all sounds excellent!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #339 on: 28 September, 2012, 10:54:19 am »
It really is a different world, not just another county. I can't think of anywhere around Manchester where you could cycle in solitude with only the moon and your good friends for company. I only glimpsed the owl but it was impressive.

I too was worried on the journey up there. The A1(M) was closed, Topcliffe and it's environs was mostly submerged (I saw vast expanses of lake  where there should've been fields along with about the top 6 feet of power poles sticking out of the water!) and side roads closed and villages cut off all over the shop. Riding under a railway bridge  and seeing the depth the water had reached the day before was sobering but the weather $deity smiled upon us.

As for nodding off on the sofa, 'guilty as charged'  ;D I'm sure that one day Tiermat will just throw a blanket over me.

Thanks again for a great night, to everyone for waiting for me and for not laughing at my future plans . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #340 on: 30 September, 2012, 06:48:59 pm »
Can't do Wednesday, probably, but can do Thursday, probably.  Will keep an eye on the two threads to see what's happening where....

« Reply #341 on: 01 October, 2012, 08:30:59 am »
Looks like I won't be there this Thursday.

tiermat

« Reply #342 on: 01 October, 2012, 11:32:12 am »
This weeks ride will include Mrs T and Mrs T's friend, Sue, the one who was in Tenerife last week.

So currently working on a bimbling 17 mile route (total including return to station), so we can increase the distance slightly (15 miles last week left Mrs T wobbly legged but happy)

LindaG

« Reply #343 on: 01 October, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »
I should be in, though I'm on nights Wednesday so might duck out last minute if I'm feeling evil and grumpy.

« Reply #344 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:23:13 am »
Bad news.

(click to show/hide)

tiermat

« Reply #345 on: 04 October, 2012, 09:35:28 am »
Cool, and indeed, groovy

I'll get the coffee on :)

tiermat

« Reply #346 on: 05 October, 2012, 07:47:39 am »
At the risk of bigging these up, that was brilliant, again!

A sizeable group (7) of us gathered at THoFC then set off, after a bit of faffing, down the well worn lanes to Maunby, onto Kirkby Whiske then through to The Vale of York in Carlton Minniott. At some point Mrs T's owl made an appearance (that is not an euphemism, we were riding down Newsham Road when an Owl, similar to the one we saw last week, swooped across the road then off into the trees.  How long it had followed us I don't know.)

Food ordered, beer bought, and drunk, then myself, Mrs T and Mrs T's friend, Sue set off for home (needed to let the babysitter go home etc).  We followed, roughly the same route as we took out, but went via Sandhutton and straight down the 167 instead of the quieter detour on the way home.

A few facts:
Beer of choice : Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
Most food bought: CrinklyLion, at one point it looked like she might need a whole table to herself for her 2 starters and chips order! (photos on FB if you don't believe me :) )
Chips eaten: lots
Chips left: lots
Oh yes, miles covered (by those 3 who did the whole route): 24 miles
Most miles done last night: 56 by the time we got to the pub (by the Polar Bear massive), still some way to go to beat Crusty's record of 100 miles for chips...
Those attending:
Myself
Mrs T
Mrs T's friend, Sue
CL
Deano
PB
Mrs PB

FTR Mrs T's friend, Sue, has said she is deffo on for more of this, AND Wednesday night rides  :thumbsup: She also said that if she had known we did this she would have done the whole summer with us  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Oh and that her bum hurt :(

tiermat

« Reply #347 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:35:24 am »
Following last week's successful 24 mile round trip, this week is going to head to Scorton.  My feeling is that Mrs T can manage this easily, if she can manage the Vale of York run.

Usual Monday morning question, i.e. who's in?

Starter for three:
Me
Mrs T
Sue

CrinklyLion

« Reply #348 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:40:31 am »
Yup :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #349 on: 11 October, 2012, 04:07:27 pm »
Usual time and place?