Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 190919 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #475 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:14:30 pm »
There be hills! (ish)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #476 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:43:12 pm »
Just to disagree with Lindagord-MURDERER-inho; I've ridden that short section of Low Lane and I don't like it. The high hedges, 50mph speed limit which is never obeyed, and fast drivers going from apex to corner to apex... There is a lovely alternative is all umh-sayin-like. Just because you "should be allowed" to ride it, doesn't mean you have to.

Of course, you are Mr Bunbury, and you'll do what you always do, make up your own mind.

Safe travels!
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #477 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:54:00 pm »
Fiver says he just rides along the A66.

LindaG

« Reply #478 on: 30 January, 2013, 02:55:59 pm »
Course 'e will  ;D

« Reply #479 on: 30 January, 2013, 05:02:04 pm »
I hadn't planned that much off-road! about two miles, probably. I'll check the path past the dairy tonight, but I expect it to be impassable.

Hmm.

Road under the A1 near Archdeacon Newton by dean.clementson, on Flickr

I recommend bringing a road bike.

shyumu

« Reply #480 on: 31 January, 2013, 04:53:04 am »
Fiver says he just rides along the A66.

Reckon so too.

« Reply #481 on: 31 January, 2013, 10:04:09 am »
It's a bit blowy out there. It'll be a slog into the wind, but once we turn at Walworth Gate and the Dog we'll sail to the pub.

Pity poor bunbury, hacking all the way from Boro straight into it...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #482 on: 31 January, 2013, 11:41:50 am »
I have a little issue. Having been to get my ticket from the station i find that the 23.20 has no spaces available. Hence i need to be back at darlo statipn for 22.27, which is the last tpe!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #483 on: 31 January, 2013, 11:44:13 am »
Should be alright, as long as we aim to leave the pub at 9.30.

« Reply #484 on: 31 January, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »
The kitchen stops taking orders at 8.45, so that's not a problem.

Hopefully we'll be there about 8-ish.

tiermat

« Reply #485 on: 31 January, 2013, 04:49:37 pm »
The kitchen stops taking orders at 8.45, so that's not a problem.

Hopefully we'll be there about 8-ish.

Cool and groovy :)

I will be at the station, hopefully, by 18:10
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #486 on: 31 January, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »
I'm at work until 18.15. Mightn't be a bad idea to get a coffee. I'll be there about 18.25.

tiermat

« Reply #487 on: 31 January, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
No problems, I am sure I can amuse myself somehow, without resorting to motorist baiting on Vicky Road :)

« Reply #488 on: 31 January, 2013, 05:43:11 pm »
Hold on, I'm leaving at 6 now. Should be at the station by no later than 6.15.

tiermat

« Reply #489 on: 01 February, 2013, 08:16:16 am »
A corking night, a lovely route (if you ignore the Industrial wasteland of Newton Aycliffe :) ).  The wind was at our backs the majority of the time, only in our faces a little, and less so quartering on (those were the worst bits, though as it did tend to throw you about a bit).

Drivers mainly courteous, not too many hills (but enough for my legs to remember the ride this morning), and a fantastic pub! Good beer, nice staff and nice food.  It was curry night so £6.75 got you a curry and a pint, which LG and Deano took advantage of, I had gammon and Crusty had some beef dish, from the specials menu (not The Specials menu, as that would have been something else completely different :) )

No photos of the food from the ride, sorry, but a photo of what I made, and ate some of, before I set of:

Chocolate and Chesnut Creme Caramel, YUM!

tiermat

« Reply #490 on: 01 February, 2013, 08:26:04 am »
Oh, and next week, as the wind appears to be staying from the West/North West/North there is a run to Scorton.

LindaG

« Reply #491 on: 01 February, 2013, 08:47:06 am »
It was really nice, specially to be able to ride the ouward and home legs, and to have Crusty alo g for the whole thing. Good curry at the Blacksmiths Arms. I got frozen waiting for my cancelled train and was worried I would get cold struggle, but fighting to achieve 18kph o  studded tyres soon warmed me up. The wind was there but not problematic as feared, and I had such a nice time. Thanks everyone.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #492 on: 01 February, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »
Just to disagree with Lindagord-MURDERER-inho; I've ridden that short section of Low Lane and I don't like it. The high hedges, 50mph speed limit which is never obeyed, and fast drivers going from apex to corner to apex... There is a lovely alternative is all umh-sayin-like. Just because you "should be allowed" to ride it, doesn't mean you have to.

Deano would owe someone a fiver if anyone had taken him up on his A66 bet, because I took the Low Lane / A67 route.  I have to say, I agree with Shymu.  The 67 was fine but Low Lane was pretty horrible, with far too much traffic at high speed on a narrow road with not a few blind bits.  I may well try the 66 next time!

shyumu

« Reply #493 on: 01 February, 2013, 09:33:30 pm »

Deano would owe someone a fiver if anyone had taken him up on his A66 bet, because I took the Low Lane / A67 route.  I have to say, I agree with Shymu.  The 67 was fine but Low Lane was pretty horrible, with far too much traffic at high speed on a narrow road with not a few blind bits.  I may well try the 66 next time!

You have ridden LG's new commute route. Please talk sense into her. :(

LindaG

« Reply #494 on: 01 February, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »

Deano would owe someone a fiver if anyone had taken him up on his A66 bet, because I took the Low Lane / A67 route.  I have to say, I agree with Shymu.  The 67 was fine but Low Lane was pretty horrible, with far too much  traffic at high speed on a narrow road with not a few blind bits.  I may well try the 66 next time!

You have ridden LG's new commute route. Please talk sense into her. :(

Okay go ride my old commute at my commuting time. Then we'll talk   >:(

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #495 on: 03 February, 2013, 10:24:43 pm »
I suspect Scorton might still be a tad ambitious for me.  Will see how I go on Wednesday tho!

tiermat

« Reply #496 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:42:59 am »
As I now have a bike with 'guards that is not fixed, but SS, I think I will stick some pedals on it and use that on Thursday.

The fixie will wait until better weather, I think.

« Reply #497 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:45:16 am »
Aye, Scorton sounds good. Is Thursday night still quiz night?

tiermat

« Reply #498 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:45:48 am »
Aye, Scorton sounds good. Is Thursday night still quiz night?

I shall check.

ETA: Not this week, next quiz night is 21st, this week is a Curry Night! Second one in 2 weeks! :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #499 on: 04 February, 2013, 09:52:46 am »
21st I could do, I reckon...