Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 190903 times)

LindaG

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #575 on: 21 February, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »
Hmm. Sixteen lumpy miles after three night shifts? My inner wimp is winning. I am tired to deth. Spent all night persuading a man to stay in bed. And not in a good way.

LindaG

« Reply #576 on: 21 February, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »
Maybe I'll get the train to NTR to say Hi to tiptop then hang out with tiermat's girls for a bit. Would that be acceptable in their sight d'you think T?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #577 on: 21 February, 2013, 03:37:48 pm »
Maybe I'll get the train to NTR to say Hi to tiptop then hang out with tiermat's girls for a bit. Would that be acceptable in their sight d'you think T?

Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #578 on: 21 February, 2013, 03:57:20 pm »
*eats toast*

I should warn you. I smell nasty.

tiermat

« Reply #579 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:29:15 pm »
That's fine, LG, don't worry about it. (I am going out on the bike AND have a rubbish sense of smell :) )

ETA and you can always do what TLD does, and blame it on the cats! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #580 on: 22 February, 2013, 09:55:42 am »
We had a great night!

It started with this:

Then it merged into a long chat for everyone with tiptop, and er exciting news.

Then a bike ride broke out.

Followed by steak and chips (for me anyway, other meals are available :) ), and BEER (Black Sheep this time, no copper dragon was available)

Then a FAST ride back to NTR, to make sure that Phanta would make her train (we did the 7 miles from Knayton to NTR in a little over 25 minutes).

Then sleep, oh lovely sleep, so much so that I rolled over and turned the alarm off this morning, missing yet another day at work :(

« Reply #581 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:19:13 am »
It would have been a risk for you to eat it, Simon - but what a way to go!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #582 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:35:23 am »
Just curious... but does the cycling burn anything like the calories consumed on a Thursday night?  Or does everyone become ascetic for the next six days?  These cakes look just gorgeous.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

tiermat

« Reply #583 on: 22 February, 2013, 10:43:35 am »
For reference, from left to right there is (as I mentioned upthread):

Chocolate fudge cake
Chocolate Coffee loaf cake
Coffee Mocha Cake (which tiptop managed to get some of this time :) )
Toffee bars (the one partly cut off in the pic, and one of my personal favourites!)

I fear, IZ, that you just being in the same room as them may cause you some issues...

« Reply #584 on: 22 February, 2013, 11:08:59 am »
Just curious... but does the cycling burn anything like the calories consumed on a Thursday night?  Or does everyone become ascetic for the next six days?  These cakes look just gorgeous.

You may be missing the point :)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #585 on: 22 February, 2013, 11:39:57 am »

You may be missing the point :)

I have a sneaking suspicion I am.  And as I sit here trying to think up something witty to say, I realise that I'm missing the point so much I'm lost for words.  Is the point... um... not about cake?  Is this a people thing?  Is it about people?
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #586 on: 22 February, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
And the beer.

tiermat

« Reply #587 on: 22 February, 2013, 11:54:06 am »
To me, it's most deffo about the people thing.

The bikes, the ride, the beer, the chips and the cake are all just a happy by-product.

NOW onto next week.  I see that the Farmers is in an unusual position of having two pub quizzes on consecutive weeks.  As the forecast (currently) is for 6C temps and 1m/s wind, from the NE, it sounds like a good idea to head there.  It is the spiritual home of the Thursday Night rides, after all :)

FWIW, some stats for the Scorton run:
Distance (total): 22.62miles
Distance BEFORE beer: 12.4miles
Ascent (total): 294ft
Ascent before beer: 161ft
Number of times a train has been missed : once

So more distance than this week, but less climbing (much, much less, in fact it's one or two drags then nothing for the rest of the ride)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #588 on: 22 February, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
Sorry, out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #589 on: 22 February, 2013, 12:12:43 pm »
*heavy sigh*

I like cake (that's obvious) and people.  And bicycles.  And the North Riding.
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #590 on: 22 February, 2013, 01:21:54 pm »
Sorry, out.

:(

One day you will get out with us, won't you?

*heavy sigh*

I like cake (that's obvious) and people.  And bicycles.  And the North Riding.

They are all a given, aren't they?

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #591 on: 24 February, 2013, 11:46:25 am »
my second pub run of the year.  I registered the massive distance cycled of 6.44 miles, aided in my minimum of effort by getting a lift home from the pub courtesy of LG.

Massive amounts of cake eaten before the start and a large portion of pork medallions eaten after the finish, made the calories consumed to calories expended  ratio hugely one-sided.  But in the best of ways.

I'm not really an evening person, so making the effort to go out after work isn't easy, but as last time on the Darlo run, I'm glad I did.  Food, company, route all excellent, and an extra bonus in seeing tiptop after all this time.  Things certainly have changed since Deano and I were bundling her into a taxi in Delhi after drinking about 80 quid's worth of cocktails at the Legend of Connaught.  Funny how things work out.

Looking forward to the next one....
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

tiermat

« Reply #592 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:22:50 am »
Who is in this week?

LindaG

« Reply #593 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:25:46 am »
Not sure. My cold has now gone to my chest and it's cold out. Might be a bad idea. I'll see how I feel later.

tiermat

« Reply #594 on: 28 February, 2013, 10:43:37 am »
Not sure. My cold has now gone to my chest and it's cold out. Might be a bad idea. I'll see how I feel later.

We are not averse, should you so wish, to meeting you at said pubbe.  Just saying, like :)

LindaG

« Reply #595 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:15:49 pm »

We are not averse, should you so wish, to meeting you at said pubbe.  Just saying, like :)

Me and crusty are in. On bikes.

tiermat

« Reply #596 on: 28 February, 2013, 01:17:39 pm »
\o/ yay!!!

tiermat

« Reply #597 on: 28 February, 2013, 03:52:29 pm »
Brakes and orange cardboard delivered, you also have another thing to collect whilst you are here, Deano.

Should be anice night for it, no wind and the temp, just about, staying above freezing.

LindaG

« Reply #598 on: 01 March, 2013, 09:01:15 am »
Did we come second in the quiz?

I remember having a wee in a field on the way back and falling over a bit. The beer was nice. And Deano did 95 miles before the pub run. And there was a pie with cheese in it. Chips also.

tiermat

« Reply #599 on: 01 March, 2013, 10:54:21 am »
Yes, LG we came second!  The first place ones were well ahead, by a margin, if I remember correctly, of 9 points! But we only beat the 3rd place ones by 1/2 a point.

The beer was fantastic, although I got a pint glass with a hole in it, AGAIN!

Fish and chips, shepherd's pie, butternut squash and feta pie and chicken Fajitas were all involved too!