Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187578 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #875 on: 11 July, 2014, 11:01:00 am »
Does that mean nobody will play bikes with you?

I know the feeling!

Finishing work at 18.30 most nights tiermat ...

I know! Sorry, was feeling  a bit ignored and more than a bit grumpy.

Anyways the ride went ahead last night, a FAST 14 miles or so with Dave(notOTP), a quick beer in The New Inn, no chips.

Back by 21:00, asleep by 22:00.

A good night.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #876 on: 18 July, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »
Most excellent evening in the company of Phil (FOTP-ish), Dave (NOTP) and Greg (NSWONOTP). A debut ride for my new SAB, of which more later, Phil on his Inbred, Dave on his 'ancient' Peugeot and Greg on his Pomp. A very pleasant & quick (for me at any rate!) blast to the Buck at Maunby, good beer, great food and excellent company.

Come the return journey Greg & Dave sped off so that Greg could make the train to York while Phil & I rode together. Having not ridden properly for several months I was hors de combat on any incline that went up and had to have brief stop to avoid seeing dinner again!

The SAB is a fantastic bike! The first truly new machine I have had in the last 30-some years. As I said to Phil, it's the kind of bike that makes you think, if not believe, that you can do much more than you are capable of. Had I had time to ride it last weekend i am sure I would have found myself halfway to Blackpool, knackered and looking for a lift home . . .

Quote of the day: Dave to Phil. 'He's driving all the way from Manchester to Northallerton? For a bike ride to the pub and back? Is he totally insane?'

Guilty as charged, m'lud. But ever so happy  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ETA: Greg is, of course, Mr Bunbury. If attention span was dynamite I'd have difficulty blowing my nose . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #877 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:00:46 pm »
I was about to correct you when I read the last line.  Good to meet you and compliments on the bike.

Ruth

« Reply #878 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:06:08 pm »
Sounds like a grand night!  :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #879 on: 18 July, 2014, 11:43:38 pm »
I was about to correct you when I read the last line.  Good to meet you and compliments on the bike.

Cheers! Same again? Don't mind if I do . . .
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #880 on: 18 July, 2014, 11:46:15 pm »
Sounds like a grand night!  :thumbsup:

Next Wednesday? Probably the last time I will be able to get there before our hols.

With the possibility of added Peter.  ::-)
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #881 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:31:57 am »
Dramatis Personae: Self. (OOTP) Peter (AOTP) Phil (NCOTP) Dave (NYOTP)
Weather: Hot. Damned hot!

And so it came to pass that Peter (OTVP) declared himself available for a silly bike adventure, to whit the sojourning to Forn Parts (well, North Yorkshire) for the partaking of velocipedal activities along with the consumption of cloudy Gun Dog and gourmet food. (Not quite but the bit about the beer's true!)

And Lo! the Great Phil gathered up his flock and all four of us foxtrotted oscar to enjoy some of NTR's finest and emptiest lanes. Highlights were the watching of farmers gathering their grain harvest - this I have never seen in July before - Peter eulogising over the countryside, the wildlife, the flora, the fauna, the locality. After a while we came across a time trial, marshalled by military types (they may have been CTC but dressed funny  :-\ ) Seemingly all ages and abilities were taking part from boys & girls on hybrids/mtbs thru 'thousand yard stare' types on Felts with tri-bars. Luckily all travelling in the opposite direction. I even got a huge smile from a young lady which hasn't happened in a while! I suppose it could've been wind . . .

Same as last week the ups were harder than the downs but this time I don't think I bailed on any of them. After a while and a couple of stops to get the feeling back in my hands (no physio since last week and it showed) we arrived at a right turn with a sign showing The Pubbe to be one Imperial mile thattaway -> Off we went. On a slight downward incline and the wind behind we were soon turning a fair old rate.  The longest mile in history. I really am not THAT slow!

The New Inn (New in the late 18th century!) was everything it promised to be. Local beer (the aforementioned cloudy Gun Dog) the home cooked food, the idyllic beer garden. Phil's face when I suggested ordering a shandy made with 'Gun Dog' was a picture. The evening was everything it was supposed to be. The world set to rights, shit being shot like it had never before. I love these evenings out and wish we could do every one! Living in the environs of Mega City One Rochdale it was such a great feeling to be able to ride gently and have conversations without either having to climb stuff like Jenkin Road every five minutes or having some snotgobbler up yer arse inna Barried-up chavmobile.

Even the journey home was made bearable discussing music and getting complimented on my singing. Coming from a professional musician that's praise indeed! Not sure when the next will be, RL and hols will be getting in the way but stay tuned folks! There's loads more where this crap came from . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #882 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:46:43 pm »
Do let us know Torslanda when another one#'s being planned. I occasionally participate in these rides when work and other activities permit (but we've never actually both been on one together). The next 3 or 4 weeks look pretty booked up for me, but once August is over, I mayu be around again.

tiermat

« Reply #883 on: 04 August, 2014, 09:08:51 pm »
The last two have been fun, sciatica aside, this week should be good, too. Maybe damp, but good.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #884 on: 12 August, 2014, 09:36:27 am »
Having just had a discussion with Torslanda this week's ride is tomorrow night.

We plan to raise a glass (or maybe two), for obvious reasons.  To this end it would be great if bygones could be bygones and we can get as many as poss to join (I know it is short notice, sorry)

As regards to destination, I am thinking The Farmers Arms in Scorton.  I know it's slightly further than we have done before, but it is pretty much flat and you can get a good speed up once past Streelam.

As it appears that Dave (NOTP) turns into a pumpkin when it gets dark, we will need to get a shuffle on, leaving THoFC at 18:30.

Ruth

« Reply #885 on: 12 August, 2014, 01:10:58 pm »
At work till 6pm so won't make this.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #886 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:55:45 pm »
I have chiddlers (and hopefully a last minute plan involving a tent with them) I'm afraid.

« Reply #887 on: 12 August, 2014, 02:58:56 pm »
Phil, I'm meeting my brother in Northallerton in the early afternoon.  We'll do the brother thing then arrive at yours, all being well.

Peter

tiermat

« Reply #888 on: 13 August, 2014, 08:55:32 am »
Phil, I'm meeting my brother in Northallerton in the early afternoon.  We'll do the brother thing then arrive at yours, all being well.

Peter

NP, I'll be back later, I shall PM you my mobile number, just in case you need it.

tiermat

« Reply #889 on: 14 August, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »
Last night was as close to a perfect evening social ride as you can get, apart from a couple of things, which I will come to later.

About 6PM Peter and brother turned up and we stood about chatting for a while.  Torslanda arrived in short order, as did Dave NOTP and Dave's son.  Dave's son wasn't riding with us, he was just there to buy a bike from that nice Mr Torslanda.  Once the deal was done we got ready and were off.  There was a bit of a draught, but nothing to write home about.  It did become apparent, however, that we were a group split into two, smaller groups of differing abilities (and speed).  Peter said that if myself and Dave NOTP wanted to head off at a brisk pace they would catch up with us at the pub.  So we did.  Following glorious lanes, past fields bathed in sunshine we followed a well worn path to Scorton, joining in (well, ok, riding the same way as) a Triathlon that was going on that evening.  The marshals look a little bemused by us, especially the girl with the blue hair who kept trying to wave us left onto the course, when we really wanted to go right.  Once at the pub, Dave and I settled down for a pint, some food and a chin wag.  the beer arrived in short order, but the other three had arrived, ordered their food and were the best way through their first pint before ours arrived.  Dave needed to head off to get home before he turned into a pumpkin, or some such like, so he left around 9.  I hung back with the other 3 and more chat, more beer and, eventually, their food arrived.  45 mins, to get your food, is a little tardy.  Once that food was consumed we decided to make tracks homewards. 

It was a lovely evening, the wind had dropped a bit, the moon was HUGE and there was only a few clouds in the sky.

As we set off Torslanda's mudguard was rubbing against his tyres, quickly rectified by removal of said mudguard (which got tucked into my saddlebag, only to be lost a little further down the road, then recovered again by Peter whilst I ran another errand.  At about Great Langton it became apparent that Torslanda was just not feeling it.  Or rather he was, a bit too much (TMI, I know, sorry).  His hand and feet were painful and his, ahem, other contact points weren't fairing much better.  I chose to go the flattest way back, which, unfortunately involved Shark Lane, but Tors and Peter's brother never got there.  As we got closer to Thrintoft it became apparent that even soft pedalling/scooting wasn't going to work for Tors, so walking was the name of the game.  Peter and myself flew off, in the direction of THoFC, to grab Torslanda's car and then I would return with said car to collect them and bikes.  This we did (I had to drive a FRENCH CAR :( ), once back, safely at THoFC I made sure the bike was securely on the back of the car and then waved them both off back in the direction of forrin lands (the left hand side of the pennines), but until I had nagged Tors a bit.

I went in, had a glass of water then went to bed.

Beer? Oh yes, I had 1 pint of EPA, very nice it was, but that went off, so I went to Doom Bar, which was just as nice!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #890 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »
I think a visit to the quack's might be in order. I've been having physio for a disc problem recently and thought the worst should be over but last night was murder. Nothing seems to ease it, drops, flats and even butterfly bars all aggravate the nerve pain and loss of feeling in my hands.

My apologies to all the guys, it took over two hours to go 12 miles - and most of that downhill! Big thanks to Peter's brother, Trevor (NOTP), who selflessly stayed with me whilst Tiermat & Peter pedalled off to fetch my car. Thanks also to Tiemat for steeling himself to get behind the wheel of a FRENCH  :o car. Thanks also to Peter who followed me home to Manchester despite being in the clartes for tardiness. It was well past 2am when wifey beat me about the head welcomed me home.

I'm going on holibobs in the morning. When we get back I'm going to the docs . . .
VELOMANCER

« Reply #891 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:44:05 pm »
You have a great time, John.  We just want you well again.  Trev and I owe you our bikes anyway and Trev said he thoroughly enjoyed it - it's just wonderful to be out in the country under the moon and stars.  I liked the bit about the different abilities groups!  There are those who ride with a friend in need (in case we ever need our bikes fixing again) and those who shoot on ahead and neglect to get the beer in for the Samaritans (just as well, because it would have been pretty flat by the time we got there)!  I had a great time and it was good to see you all again, except for Trev, whose top was just TOO orange!

You have a good holiday, too, Phil.

peter

tiermat

« Reply #892 on: 29 August, 2014, 09:01:35 am »
It's back on! Next week, Wednesday.

« Reply #893 on: 01 September, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »
Hi all, will try to join you at some point, but this week is out as we're off to Burghley Horse Trials for a few days, then the following week i really have to go to running club so wed would be out, but could stretch to a tues or a thurs?

tiermat

« Reply #894 on: 01 September, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »
Hi all, will try to join you at some point, but this week is out as we're off to Burghley Horse Trials for a few days, then the following week i really have to go to running club so wed would be out, but could stretch to a tues or a thurs?

Don't know why you bother, those horses are all guilty!

As it happens the day does vary, depending on people's needs. This week, as it happens is Thursday (I need to do a software release at work on Wednesday). Some weeks we do manage 2, but Thursdays can be difficult if Mrs T is going to her knitting club.

When you are free on a Thursday, let me know and I will pm you the address where we meet (though riding into Romanby and asking where the cyclists meet will get you to the right place!)

« Reply #895 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:01:19 pm »
Ah, can't make Thursday this week. I'll keep an eye on the thread, though.

tiermat

« Reply #896 on: 03 September, 2014, 08:11:51 am »
Ah, can't make Thursday this week. I'll keep an eye on the thread, though.

Can you do tonight?

Dave (NOTP) can't, but I am at a loose end as Mrs T is in that London and TLD is at the grandparents.

« Reply #897 on: 03 September, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »
I can, but I'll struggle to get down south as I'll have to go home and change and stuff!

Fancy popping up to Darlo?

tiermat

« Reply #898 on: 03 September, 2014, 01:03:15 pm »
Sounds like a plan, dependent on what time I get finished with this software problem I have at the moment.

I'll drop you an email (a little) later, when I have clearer idea of what is expected of me, work wise.

tiermat

« Reply #899 on: 04 September, 2014, 09:18:14 am »
Well last night didn't happen, due to work.

So I did an hour on the turbo, instead, to make sure my sciatica really was playing nicely and not just lulling me into a false sense of security.

The good news is that there was a small amount of pain and weakness for about an hour afterwards, but nothing this morning  :thumbsup: