Author Topic: New Circe Helios Duo - was "thoughts on..."  (Read 4250 times)

IanN

• Voon
New Circe Helios Duo - was "thoughts on..."
« on: 06 February, 2015, 09:21:29 pm »
I've been thinking about a tandem to ride with one or other of the littleNs (7 and 9) , and when they get old enough to fend for themselves (and too embarrassed), MrsN.

The Circe Helios Duo in basic spec - V brakes, derailleur, flat bars - appeals because 1. I can afford it, and  2. it seems less of an investment than the higher specced models.  Looking through here, the wise and esteemed tandemistas of yacf have gone for hub gears, disc brakes etc except possibly MAC who was considering a duo (but upgrading it) in January.

So...    any thoughts on the basic model, for bimbling along cycle paths, CTC rides and on to 100km audaxes (and beyond...)  ?

I met a very nice man on the Jack and Grace 100km, who by the end of the conversation advised I'd need a Thorn and something faster...   Well maybe, but you've got to start somewhere   :D

Re: Thoughts on basic spec Circe Helios Duo?
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:19:09 pm »
I'd go for it. If you want to upgrade later, you can. The frames are adaptable so you can change your mind when you like or keep it simple if that suits you. If you've been reading the reviews you'll know I love mine :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2015, 10:24:41 pm »
Seconded:  There's all sorts of kit that's nice to have, but none of it is as nice as actually having a bike.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »
Thirded.  Currently my Helios is my second most ridden bike, after my commuter, and is used most weekends.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »
The Helios is certainly not slow as tandems go - estpecially round town as it's manouverable.
Someone saw me when I was going along downhill solo the other day.   He said he thought I was doing 40mph.

I wasn't, but I've had 30mph - and that was with the littl'n in a child seat on the back.  He did squeak a bit though.

For kids, the small wheels have big advantages - low stepover height and low riding position - much scarier on a high up bike.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2015, 01:12:55 pm »
The basic spec is a perfectly decent bike!

I went for the dual drive and disks and bells and whistles because that was what worked for me - not least because of the way that I financed it which meant I could _just_ about afford up front getting my ideal spec but would have really struggled to afford later upgrades to a more basic spec.  It was the second brand new bike I've ever bought myself, and I spent a year or more planning it.

Anyone remotely competent at fettling (which I'm not!) could start with the base model and "Trigger's broom" it over their years of tandem-enjoyment.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2015, 02:25:55 pm »
The Helios is certainly not slow as tandems go - estpecially round town as it's manouverable.
Someone saw me when I was going along downhill solo the other day.   He said he thought I was doing 40mph.

I wasn't, but I've had 30mph - and that was with the littl'n in a child seat on the back.  He did squeak a bit though.

Nikki and I span Butterfly's one out at 35mph, when we were rudely interrupted by a cow.  There may also have been a bit of squeaking.

The small wheels go a long way towards cancelling out the effect of the long wheelbase, to the effect that the handling is surprisingly like riding a DF solo.  Ideal for urban riding (be that traffic or silly sustrans paths).

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2015, 06:15:19 pm »
Thanks everyone! I'm not far from Avon Valley Cyclery, so I'll email them. Maybe Saturdays ride could go via Bath if they've got a demo model

Anyone remotely competent at fettling (which I'm not!) could start with the base model and "Trigger's broom" it over their years of tandem-enjoyment.

Yes, it did occur to me that getting close to Auster spec (faster wheeled + derailleur + maybe drops) at a later date wouldn't be too difficult

I'll keep you posted

« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
I'm Adam's stoker and have to say, I think the Helios Duo is the most versatile and useful bicycle in our stable. Here's my write-up on ours:
http://velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/bicycle-review-and-ride-report-tandem.html

Since then, Adam has converted front brakes to discs and has a cunning plan to add e-assist. The bike is unbelievably customisable/upgradable, whatever spec it has when you buy it. Do let us know when you've got yours... and share some pics! :)
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2015, 09:04:27 pm »
I collected it today  ;D

I can't decide if this is n+1, n+1.41 or (current favourite) n+1.618     (sorry, I digress)

Got the train to Bath and cycled back to Bristol solo. I'm not sure I can give an opinion yet. It seemed a bit twitchy at first but I soon forgot that as I proceded to get slightly lost  :-[.  I think some bar-ends are required as the grips are a bit minimal, but apart from that...  the first cake centred adventure needs to be planned forthwith.

I'll see if I can cope with setting up a flickr account and post a picture. But first I have rearrange the cycle storage 90o as it's a bit long...

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2015, 09:13:26 pm »
 :thumbsup: Have lots of fun  :D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2015, 09:14:50 pm »
Great news! From Avon Valley?

Though how you managed to get lost I can't quite imagine...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2015, 09:37:07 pm »
Great news! From Avon Valley?

Yep. They're a nice bunch. The problem is I hadn't previously seen a Moulton up close. Sigh.

Though how you managed to get lost I can't quite imagine...
Well, I thought I knew where I was! And they hid a bridge under plastic sheeting, the blighters. Soon recovered.

IanN

• Voon
New Circe Helios Duo - was "thoughts on..."
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2015, 09:29:45 pm »
And here it is. No rural action shot, I'm afraid. I was hiding from the rain in the shed.
Child saddle still to be fitted. I need to straighten up that rack, as well. Poor show.

Almost as exciting is that I haven't seen that corner clear since about 9 years ago, when I sold the motorbike.
Bike since twizzled round and the ground anchor deployed to lock it - which is a first

Re: New Circe Helios Duo - was "thoughts on..."
« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2015, 11:06:22 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:21:00 am »
Great stuff! Now can we expect to see you with small stoker on the South Glos 100 in May?  ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 30 March, 2015, 12:55:07 pm »
Excellent! (And well done on the clear-out, too!)

Looking forward to the action shots once rides have been ridden  ;D