Author Topic: Dent in aluminium down tube  (Read 2316 times)

aglet

Dent in aluminium down tube
« on: 12 May, 2008, 11:14:05 pm »
I rode into a steel bollard on my way home tonight, and dinged my 7003 aluminium down tube.  The dent is about a third of the way down the tube on the drive side, and is roughly fingernail-sized.  There is no sign of creasing of the metal or cracks in the paint, just a dent.  Should I be particularly concerned about this, and is there anything I can do about it if so?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Dent in aluminium down tube
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2008, 11:50:04 pm »
Probably be fine.  Nothing you can do except save up for a carbon fibre replacement...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wibble

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2008, 07:30:56 am »
I rode into a steel bollard on my way home tonight, and dinged my 7003 aluminium down tube. 

Good to see that steel can still bite back.

Dings in aluminium tubes are normally fine.  You might want to give other areas of the frame a quick check in case the impact has damaged it elsewhere.  Look for areas of creased paint/cracks near welds.  I'd bet my front brakes it's okay thobut.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
Should I be particularly concerned about this, and is there anything I can do about it if so?
No. You could strip the frame get the dent filled and the frame resprayed, or you could just live with it.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:14:17 am »
I rode into a steel bollard on my way home tonight, and dinged my 7003 aluminium down tube.  The dent is about a third of the way down the tube on the drive side, and is roughly fingernail-sized.  There is no sign of creasing of the metal or cracks in the paint, just a dent.  Should I be particularly concerned about this, and is there anything I can do about it if so?
Most bikes not reserved for 'Sunday Best' will in time get an occasional dent or two, most don't reduce the life expectancy of the bike. Once the first one is out of the way then the rest are less traumatic. In the end it becomes a bit like comparing body scars, "I got this one on tour in Corsica" and so on.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

aglet

« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »
[...] Once the first one is out of the way then the rest are less traumatic [...]

I was more concerned that the tube would surprise me by abruptly folding in half at an Inconvenient Moment than by the cosmetic damage.  In the cold light of day it's not that big a dink -- the trauma you describe coloured my thinking.  I reckon I'm over the worst of it now though.  (sobs)