Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517970 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2175 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »
Could be extremely nice, along the lines of the randonneur jerseys that a lot of the US riders have.

I think I prefer sportwool rather than pure merino from a practical perspective but if merino is the only option then I guess I will just have to be even more careful when washing (Tippers, you do realise that you will have to wash it eventually don't you, you're not in the colonies now  ;D).
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2176 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:14:29 pm »
Can't you just throw yourself in a sheep dip whilst wearing the jersey?

« Reply #2177 on: 03 March, 2017, 04:50:47 pm »
Could be extremely nice, along the lines of the randonneur jerseys that a lot of the US riders have.

I think I prefer sportwool rather than pure merino from a practical perspective but if merino is the only option then I guess I will just have to be even more careful when washing (Tippers, you do realise that you will have to wash it eventually don't you, you're not in the colonies now  ;D).
Quote from: Soigneur Website

You will find that as they are merino wool (doesn't smell)  they need washing much less frequently than synthetic fabrics.
Good as never I reckon!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2178 on: 04 March, 2017, 05:58:33 pm »
I came across this interesting site today when going through some stuff for a week over there...  its a bit like a dutch version of cycle.travel

https://routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/

Has options to avoid unpaved & ferries (of which there are lots if you're not careful :D )
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2179 on: 05 March, 2017, 05:21:47 pm »
I came across this interesting site today when going through some stuff for a week over there...  its a bit like a dutch version of cycle.travel

https://routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/

Has options to avoid unpaved & ferries (of which there are lots if you're not careful :D )

I've just had a quick fiddle and it looks really useful - good spot  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2180 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:12:14 pm »
The future of ...

FORWARD PLANNING???

The end of this month sees the end of the current and inaugural round of FORWARD PLANNING! and the score stands at 11/21 so a 52% success rate thus far.

So what to do ...?

1. Shall I plan another 3 months?
2. Or offer up a plan over a shorter period of time?
3. Or do something else?
4. Or not bother at all?

I await your thoughts? 

For what it's worth I think its a useful exercise.  Forward planning is only a bunch of suggestions but it means we try hardier to get to pubs on the margins of our area so more people feel included, psyclist in the west is a case in point.  We don't keep going to the same pubs - variety is the spice of life.  It gives rise to some good quality banter and piss taking. 

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #2181 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:28:09 pm »
Forward planning gives the anarchists and ne'er-do-wells in the group something to rebel against.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2182 on: 09 March, 2017, 05:29:30 pm »
Forward planning gives the anarchists and ne'er-do-wells in the group something to rebel against.

No greater justification is required  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2183 on: 09 March, 2017, 06:05:45 pm »
11/21

I want evidence, in triplicate.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2184 on: 09 March, 2017, 06:15:08 pm »
11/21

I want evidence, in triplicate.

You'll just have to trust me.

« Reply #2185 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:22:01 pm »
OK, I got a bit bored and emailed the bloke at Soigneur to try and start getting a design process underway for the Merino Jersey's. I figure I can get 6 takers in time to get some done for LEL.

So below is the first draft. I want to keep it pretty low key and retro(ish) and with wool as I understand it you are a bit more limited to an overload of graphical content. The nod to MEMWNS is on the front of the Jersey and the YACF on the back what I think is missing is the Dynamite stick (Tomsk, do you have a JPG or GIF or the like file of that which Blackmore used?)

My thoughts on the first draft are,

- A more retro font for the ACME
- Have the Audax Club Mid Essex wording under the ACME wording (possibly make the Strip a bit deeper)
- Dyanmite either on the other Breast OR move the YACF logo to one side and have the dynamite on the opposite side. (My preference being the back pocket)
- Potentially a copy of the the Essex SR Badge on one of the sleeves

Let me know what you think

« Reply #2186 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:35:35 pm »
Looking good.

I agree with your thoughts, perhaps adding:

- dynamite I would keep to the rear and not on front, but perhaps consider using all 3 pockets (eg dynamite either side of the yacf, leaving the yacf in the middle), that would keep things symmetrical and balanced

- Essex SR badge is a nice idea, but I would just be concerned it is too intricate to come out well on a jersey - blocky and bold work better - maybe just leave sleeves as they are?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2187 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:08:46 am »
What about just using the Essex seaxes instead of the full SR logo.  You could have that on one sleeve and the AUK logo on the other. Otherwise it looks good. I like the minimalist retro vibe. Less is more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2188 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:14:25 am »
I like it.  I hadn't thought about the design limitations of wool.  If it helps the appeal of the jersey why not just keep it as ACME?  I really like the ACME jerseys we have at the moment so why not simply replicate the design?

I'd still really like a yacf MEMWNS jersey so perhaps I should get off my arse and organise one.  Or perhaps a gillet?  Or just some caps?  What we need is a MEMWNS logo, any ideas?

« Reply #2189 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:43:04 am »
What we need is a MEMWNS logo, any ideas?

For the visual, how about part of a bike (eg part of a chainring) in one corner, part of a beer tankard in the other corner, all lit by moonlight. Perhaps part of the Essex emblem thing somewhere, to give the geographical reference.

It's a shame the name is so long - it really needs to be condensed into something short and hip.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2190 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:49:29 am »
Ok, so I have the following

- Remove the MEMWNS from the front - I think if we had a logo it would look ok but it does seem a little out of place as it is I think.
- Remove YACF from the back Pocket
- Dynamite one side of the back pockets
- Essex Seaxes on the other side (I am thinking the Essex Shield from the inside of the medal essentially)

Font wise on the banner I was thinking something along the lines of the below

One last question before I go back and ask for draft 2, do we want ACME.BIKE on there?

OD, on the suggestion of just duplicating the current Jersey I am not sure it would work in the wool as there is quite a bit of detail on it (such as letters being bordered by a different color etc) which is the reasoning behind going for the more retro minimalist approach.

« Reply #2191 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:50:00 am »

It's a shame the name is so long - it really needs to be condensed into something short and hip.
MENS :-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2192 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:56:49 am »

For the visual, how about part of a bike (eg part of a chainring) in one corner, part of a beer tankard in the other corner, all lit by moonlight. Perhaps part of the Essex emblem thing somewhere, to give the geographical reference.

I look forward to seeing your design Andrew!  Didn't know you did graphic design!  A man of many talents!

« Reply #2193 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:03:14 am »
What about, for the logo, MEMWNS making a Circle (ie a wheel) and then the hub being a pint....no idea how to go about actually putting it into a graphic though....

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2194 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:20:35 am »
Ok, so I have the following

- Remove the MEMWNS from the front - I think if we had a logo it would look ok but it does seem a little out of place as it is I think.
- Remove YACF from the back Pocket
- Dynamite one side of the back pockets
- Essex Seaxes on the other side (I am thinking the Essex Shield from the inside of the medal essentially)

Font wise on the banner I was thinking something along the lines of the below

One last question before I go back and ask for draft 2, do we want ACME.BIKE on there?

OD, on the suggestion of just duplicating the current Jersey I am not sure it would work in the wool as there is quite a bit of detail on it (such as letters being bordered by a different color etc) which is the reasoning behind going for the more retro minimalist approach.

I must admit, I prefer the stencil font of ACME, anything else feels strange.

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2195 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:31:13 am »
What about, for the logo, MEMWNS making a Circle (ie a wheel) and then the hub being a pint....no idea how to go about actually putting it into a graphic though....

Words don't work, I need pictures.

And also regarding the ACME wool jersey you need to keep the font and colours (Belgian) the same as the existing jersey so everything matches including the website.  You can't have mis-matched branding, its a very poor marketing strategy as it looks shite and confuses the punters.

« Reply #2196 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:01:11 pm »
Words don't work, I need pictures.
Fair enough, nothing from me then. My drawing skill is on a par with my singing and I would make you sound like and angel!  ;D

I'm happy to go with the stencil font and I agree that makes sense. I'm not sure how the red border around the yellow will work but I will ask. Personally on a retro effect jersey I would be very happy with just yellow on black but happy to go with the majority on that. (pending feedback from the manufacturer)

I'll ask about putting acme.bike on the sleeves.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2197 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:52:51 pm »
Here it is in just black & yellow, problem is a black jersey might be a bit warm, I did think about a yellow jersey, but that will be a fly magnet, red isn't that flattering for the stronger built riders either...

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2198 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:56:54 pm »
Here it is in just black & yellow, problem is a black jersey might be a bit warm, I did think about a yellow jersey, but that will be a fly magnet, red isn't that flattering for the stronger built riders either...

You mean luxuriously proportioned  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2199 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:59:42 pm »

You mean luxuriously proportioned  ;D

Yes - that too  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen