Author Topic: Raptobike Tilting trike  (Read 12571 times)

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Raptobike Tilting trike
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2011, 08:32:43 pm »
*drool*

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:37:55 pm »
How about this that I saw at at BHPC meet...

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:39:59 pm »
The cable presumably locks out the tilt mechanism?

Zipperhead

« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:41:13 pm »
Yes, I'm trying to remember what the mechanism was - I think it was a Sturmey Archer hub brake.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2011, 06:52:01 am »
The snag for road use being that there only appears to be one brake - the disc on the front wheel.  That's a very nice brake of itself, but a second one would be nice.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2011, 08:03:55 am »
The snag for road use being that there only appears to be one brake - the disc on the front wheel.  That's a very nice brake of itself, but a second one would be nice.

Good point. To be legal there must be two independent brakes - though they can be on the same wheel, like with the Pashley trikes.

« Reply #7 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:24:12 am »
Link in OP has an extra 'o' on the end of the address.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:29:50 am »

Good point. To be legal there must be two independent brakes - though they can be on the same wheel, like with the Pashley trikes.

This isn't the case if the seat height is so low, although I think it's pretty brave to ride with only one brake.

Tim

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:31:39 am »
But there would appear to be a second brake - albeit operating the tilt lock...

You don't reckon that counts?

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:36:01 am »
Link in OP has an extra 'o' on the end of the address.
Fixed (can I say that on the Dark Side  :o)

Tks
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:50:33 am »

Not quite.

"If the highest part of the 'seating area' of a bicycle or tricycle cannot be raised above 635mm from the road surface, the minimum requirement falls to just one efficient braking system. "

But thats only ~25" and it looks higher than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:31:09 am »
25" is pretty high for a recumbent seat.  The highest I've ever owned has been about 18".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:53:28 am »
I don't understand why you'd produce such a well-thought out mechanism on such a low bike then have all those jagged bits sticking out into the airflow.

The handlebars are the main culprit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 24 February, 2011, 10:53:32 pm »
25" is pretty high for a recumbent seat.  The highest I've ever owned has been about 18".
It depends on if you just measure to the flat seat or do you measure to the top of backrest.
If its just the seat then my Trice Q is only ~9" high, which is well under the hight limit.
If its the backrest then I'm looking at ~30", which is over.
I'm guessing its the second version.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #15 on: 24 February, 2011, 11:43:08 pm »
It doesn't matter. I'm never going to ride a bike without 2 independent brakes.

« Reply #16 on: 25 February, 2011, 11:09:33 am »
I've heard of people tilting on unicycles, but not on recumbents!

« Reply #17 on: 25 February, 2011, 02:03:03 pm »
I don't understand why you'd produce such a well-thought out mechanism on such a low bike then have all those jagged bits sticking out into the airflow.

The handlebars are the main culprit.

Well, since you've put an extra wheel on all-out speed is hardly an objective (except the niche setting of racing in the multi-track category against conventional tadpole trikes).

The endpoint for Arnold at Raptobike is not this, however - it's a platform for a shell.

Can anyone say Raptomobile? ;-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 25 February, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »
Multitrack recumbents can be quick. Didn't a faired recumbent trike take a long distance record from a bike recently?

EDIT: Found it Australian Velomobile Racing 'Verges On A Contact Sport' | Recumbent Journal
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2011, 07:50:20 pm »
Being singlehanded, I effectivly ride with only one brake.
It why I ride a recumbent trike and not a bike.
I cannot workout how to work two brake with only one hand.

The LEJOG record is held by a faired Cattrike at ~41 hours vs the upwrong at ~44 hours.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #20 on: 25 February, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »
The Windcheetah brake lever pulls 2 cables - one to each front wheel. Very little scope for single point failure,  but if a cable snaps, then you have to steer as well as braking.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 25 February, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »
Wilco's recumbent trike LEJOG record was in a faired Windcheetah.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22 on: 28 February, 2011, 09:48:44 am »
The Munzo tilting trike is mine. I only use it for racing, and its single brake is more than adequate for that (as is the single brake on my racing-only Raptobike). Its disc rear wheels would be rather noisy on most UK road surfaces, and it has only 8 gears as currently set up, so major climbs would be rather hard work.

It was bought for fun, of which it delivers plenty :thumbsup:  On flat, well-surfaced Dutch bike paths, it would be practical too.

The Rapto tilter (which looks rather neat) has had design input from Bram Smit, builder of the Munzo. Arnold of Raptobike had ridden my Munzo the day before I collected it.

Yes, the tilt lock is a Sturmey hub brake. The steering is remote - I understand that this setup is necessary because of the reversed fork (if it's novel, this machine has it!). It's certainly a very well laid out front wheel drive system - no knee interference - and while the steering takes a little acclimatisation, as long as you just look where you want to go it feels pretty much the same as a tiller after a while.
Profit or planet?

« Reply #23 on: 28 February, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »
Being singlehanded, I effectivly ride with only one brake.
It why I ride a recumbent trike and not a bike.
I cannot workout how to work two brake with only one hand.

The LEJOG record is held by a faired Cattrike at ~41 hours vs the upwrong at ~44 hours.

ISTR an article in Motorcycle News some years ago that had three,one armed/handed riders -curiously all with Yamaha R1s - I think their solution was throttle/front brake/clutch all on one bar. How on earth they managed to juggle that lot beats me :o

Zipperhead

« Reply #24 on: 28 February, 2011, 02:24:49 pm »
ISTR an article in Motorcycle News some years ago that had three,one armed/handed riders -curiously all with Yamaha R1s - I think their solution was throttle/front brake/clutch all on one bar. How on earth they managed to juggle that lot beats me :o

I'll hide it in a spoiler, in case anybody is offended by a picture of a motor vehicle, but here is a combination being raced (hill climb) by a one armed rider

(click to show/hide)