Author Topic: New recumbent trike for Auntie Helen - an ICE Sprint Special!  (Read 23235 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: New recumbent trike for Auntie Helen - an ICE Sprint Special!
« Reply #25 on: 08 July, 2011, 09:41:09 pm »
Here we are with both brake discs fitted

Starting to look like a proper trike - and I LOVE that new seat design with the pocket at the top. Brilliant!

Here we are, trying the seat out for comfort

I'm not the only one checking it out!

And now the headrest, rear rack and boom are fitted

That's it for today, after I discovered I hadn't ordered any pedals! Tomorrow will be the pedals (after a quick trip to a bike shop), chain and gears and then she's ready to roll!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #26 on: 08 July, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »
Question is, who (of the three of you) gets first try  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:06:10 pm »
It's very, very pretty.

I assume that, because of your pedallessness, you won't be a-wartying tomorrow?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #28 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:15:16 pm »
I'll come on the old trike. I can pop into the Marks Tey bike shop and buy some overpriced pedals for Alfie!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #29 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:23:41 pm »
'S lovely.  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »
I'll come on the old trike. I can pop into the Marks Tey bike shop and buy some overpriced pedals for Alfie!

Excellent!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #31 on: 08 July, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
Very nice - although you could have looked a bit happier when you were unpacking!!    :P
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #32 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:55:38 am »
Why does it have a "proper" dérailleur

and not a simple one like this?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #33 on: 09 July, 2011, 08:30:37 am »
Dunno, but I think because they had to line it up with the chain coming off the Alfine which is further out from the centre of thr wheel, if you what I mean. Once I have the chain on I'll have a better idea how it all works.

Off on the warty shortly on the old trike - but I shall pick up pedals from the bike shop on the way to fit to new trike when I get home!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #34 on: 09 July, 2011, 08:31:36 am »
Very nice - although you could have looked a bit happier when you were unpacking!!    :P
Perhaps I was thinking about the hit to the credit card... Twice the cost of the last trike, yikes!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #35 on: 09 July, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
Looks like a nice ride!  Also very tempting!  Perhaps one day.....   ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:29:09 pm »
So... the next day dawned.

I was going on a 45 mile cycle ride with Wowbagger and others from the YACF forum, but as Alfie was by no means ready (lacking pedals, for example, plus no chain attached etc) it was clear the old Trice Q would get another outing.

On the way over to the meeting point for that ride I popped into my favourite bike shop, 53-12 in Colchester, and picked up some SPD pedals for £35.

I enjoyed the ride on the old Trice which still behaves very nicely. When I got home I was in a rush to get ready for my evening engagement (a dancing lesson!) so didn't have a chance to fiddle any further with Alfie. However, I posed for a photo with new pedals - I seem pleased to have made progress with the trike construction! Spot the appalling Lake Cycling Sandals foot tan!

Whilst I was showering etc James fitted the pedals.

And here I am posing with pedals (and the dog insisted on being in shot as well)

Whilst I was getting ready to go out James fitted the chain now we had got the correct boom length with the pedals.

When we got back from our dancing lesson at 9:30pm I wanted to make a bit more progress so I decided to fit the rear wrap-around mudguard.

Unlike pretty much every other part from ICE, this didn't seem to have the right instructions (it included information about a plastic bit which we didn't have and clearly didn't need). So I decided I'd have a go working it out for myself.

Here is the mudguard fitted:

And here is the small rubber bit that I was left with after I had finished

Aha, I can see where that goes now - between the frame and the screw which holds the mudguard on towards the front of the bike.

However, fitting this screw had been a nightmare. Mainly because we really needed to remove the back wheel - but hadn't the faintest idea how to do it. The Alfine is an entirely unknown bit of gadgetry and ICE had fitted it correctly and we were afraid if we removed it everything would go wrong. A quick Google failed to show any useful information about how to take off a wheel with an Alfine. So I decided to think about it overnight and see if the morning held any answers.

The next morning I once again would have to use my old trike to cycle to church as Alfie wasn't ready. However, my brain had slightly unscrambled myself and I managed to fit the rubber bung by deflating the tyre, using the dog's collar to pull the tyre out of the way as much as possible, and careful use of an allen key. Success at last!

Note, if you're ever going to buy one of these trikes, make sure you get the mudguard fitted before the back wheel goes on!!!

Back from church (Trice Q enjoyed its 10.5 mile round trip, plus I popped into Waitrose and bought a restorative butterscotch & pecan yumyum to help with the bike building) and we were almost finished.

James, an electronic engineer, fitted my rather fab Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Senseo Plus front dynamo light:

He also shortened the chain which we realised was slightly long - in the granny ring the chain tensioner was rubbing two pieces of chain together.

I started taking bits off the old trike to get the new one ready to roll. I took the front light mount off the old trike to use as a Garmin mount (ICE were out of stock of this item when sending me my new trike so it'll come soon but wasn't available today). However, I decided to also take the old Garmin mount of the trike - a cut down bar end which I stick on the upright part of the front mech holder. And it fitted! And, not only that, the fold still worked with the Garmin in place. So that was easy. The front light mount went back onto the old trike.

James is going to trim down some of the light cables when I am sure the boom length is correct. For now there's some gaffer tape holding the cables in place but we will tidy this up in due course.

James had a little sit down on the trike now everything was ready.

Now, after a spot of lunch, it was time for Alfie to have his first visit to the Big Outdoors. Which involved taking the seat off to get him from our lounge through the hallway to the front door. He seems a bit lighter than the old trike to carry around, which is handy!

And here they are together - old and new!

And now time for the first ride!

How cool is that Alfine hub gear! Quiet as anything, easy to use, a great improvement over a rear derailleur.

Alfie rode well, nice and quiet, a different seat position which was strange initially, as was the slightly narrower track (I had to widen the handlebars so I could go round corners!)

We did identify a problem which is that Alfie pulls quite strongly to the right at speed. We're not sure if it's the disc brake on that side not quite properly set (we fiddled with it a bit) or if it's drag from the dynohub (surely not?) but we'll ring ICE tomorrow just to get their advice. The old trike pulled a bit left (with the camber I suppose) so this is just a bit different to get used to.

I nicked the rear light from my old Trice and am now ready to ride Alfie to church tonight. I wonder if anyone will notice I have a new machine!

The bike stable (the uprights are James's, and his folding Dahon is lurking in the dining room rather than in shot)

« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:07:05 pm »
that is a lovely machine ah :thumbsup: . no front mudguards ?. i will be interested to hear how you get on with the alfine gears  :).
the slower you go the more you see

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #38 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:36:56 pm »
Glad to see you smiling again!

I'll look forward to reading about lots more interesting tours (and descriptions of cake) on the new machine.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #39 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »
My ICE Sprint 26 pulls to the right when I take my hands off the bars. It annoys me because I can't push it along straight when manoeuvring it around. I've kind of convinced myself it's the cables pulling on the track rods but I'm not entirely convinced. Being 70 miles from the dealer I've not been sufficiently bothered to get it checked though. It's not noticeable when riding with hands on he bars.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #40 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:24:00 pm »
marj's ICE trike runs in a straight line when hands free :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:15:02 pm »
My old ICE runs straight but this sprint is noticeably pulling to the right when I'm wheeling it. Like PaulM, my husband thinks it might be the cables. We shall see.

Cycleman, I do have front mudguards, just haven't fitted them yet.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »
It's beautiful! I'm really looking forward to our next ride so I can see it in the flesh.

Will you be about when I venture in your direction after cycling back from Dunwich next Monday?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #43 on: 10 July, 2011, 11:30:39 pm »
The pulling to one side may be the track rods not set properly.
One wheel may be slightly out of line.

« Reply #44 on: 11 July, 2011, 01:08:21 pm »
I had that with my 26" rear, it turned out the front under seat fasteners were positioned wrongly (by me) and a cable outer was snagging on one, reposition and brilliant

;D

My ICE Sprint 26 pulls to the right when I take my hands off the bars. It annoys me because I can't push it along straight when manoeuvring it around. I've kind of convinced myself it's the cables pulling on the track rods but I'm not entirely convinced. Being 70 miles from the dealer I've not been sufficiently bothered to get it checked though. It's not noticeable when riding with hands on he bars.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #45 on: 11 July, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »
Why does it have a "proper" dérailleur

and not a simple one like this?

Look at the front end...

(I think an Alfine alone doesn't really have the range for a recumbent trike)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 11 July, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »
In addition, the necessary difference between the required chain lengths for a triple is pretty significant. One of those single jockey-wheeled chain tensioners just wouldn't have the capacity, I'd have thought.

« Reply #47 on: 11 July, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »
The Rohloff version will deal with a double.

My Catrike Expedition has a Double front and Rohloff rear.

However for the Gekko, I am looking into a Speed Drive in order to keep the front end clean for folding.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #48 on: 11 July, 2011, 10:58:47 pm »
Looks very nice. Quite similar, in fact, to my sprint :-)

I don't have the alfine though - will be really interested to see how you get on with that slightly longer term.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #49 on: 12 July, 2011, 02:59:01 pm »
Had a couple of long chats with ICE today about the pulling to the right.

Chris suggested I lift the front off the floor and see if the wheels pull in - which would happen if it's cable tightness. They didn't.

He then suggested I checked the tracking, which I did - it was fine, within standard tolerances.

Third option was slightly more significant - to swap the two front wheels round. This involves taking off the brake callipers completely from the Schmidt Dynohub side. Anyway, I did it and it was fine - I am less concerned now about doing this when I have a puncture.

I put the wheels on the other way round, didn't bother connecting up the offside brake calliper, and had a look.

This appeared to have improved things significantly, although there was still a very slight bias to the right. But not that significant, and it was much, much easier to wheel around by holding the rack.

Chris explained that this was to do with the dishing of the spokes for the hub and that they may not entirely match my other front wheel. They are going to make up a new wheel for me (with dynohub) and will send it to me. Assuming all is much better I'll send my wheel back for them to re-use.

Whilst on the phone they also got Dan (who fitted my Alfine) to explain how to take it off. It seemed fairly easy and I have had a couple of goes and seem to be able to disconnect the gearing fine. Haven't actually removed the wheel but it should be OK.

Full marks for ICE yet again!