Author Topic: Various darkside reviews  (Read 11633 times)

Various darkside reviews
« on: 10 June, 2012, 11:02:42 pm »
I've posted a few of these individually, but since I've now collated them and will keep one location up to date, I thought I'd bring people's attention to my Laid-Back-Bikes review page. It has various long ramblings and photographs of:

I figure I'll just update this post as things are added, rather than post new topics from time to time. The assembly of this resource owes everything to David Gardiner at Laid Back Bikes, who trusts me with his bikes, and never tries to influence what gets written  :thumbsup:

Hope these may prove vaguely entertaining!

D.

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
Re: Various darkside reviews
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2012, 11:14:21 am »
Fame across the pond too !  :thumbsup:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=7252

"Dave McCraw’s Excellent Reviews – If you want to check out more excellent recumbent reviews, check out Dave McCraw’s web site. He has written several very in depth recumbent reviews including pieces on the Bacchetta Corsa 700C, Nazca Fuego and ICE Vortex+. Great stuff."
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2012, 11:17:33 pm »
Fame across the pond too !  :thumbsup:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/?p=7252

"Dave McCraw’s Excellent Reviews – If you want to check out more excellent recumbent reviews, check out Dave McCraw’s web site. He has written several very in depth recumbent reviews including pieces on the Bacchetta Corsa 700C, Nazca Fuego and ICE Vortex+. Great stuff."

Yes, well deserved, really good reviews Dave.
Garry Broad

« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »
Thanks, it keeps me out of trouble!

Next up, I want to see if I can crack my Arthur's Seat PB (set on my Pompetamine) with the Fujin SL...

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2012, 08:34:54 pm »
Hi Dave,

Great blog you've got running there, I first stumbled across it about a year ago and keep on going back for the occational look.
The Furai 24 looks like a terrific bike, a strong contender for my next bike, especially as the wifes already bent. ;D

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2012, 07:08:25 pm »
I've added the Seiran 26 (in USS, SL-II guise).

I didn't get to ride the bike, but did get to sit on and otherwise poke it, and think it's worth a peek if for no other reason than the roll-over with the tiny Furai 24"...!

« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
I've added the Challenge Fujin SL to the collection, plus another set of pics of a Raptobike Midracer in Alfine 11 guise. I'm working up an in-depth look at the Midracer just now...

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:42:26 pm »
Previous bikes ----King Cycle , Speed ross Orbit , Bacchetta 26 Giro ,  Bacchetta ATT 700c.

Review ----------Bacchetta CA2.

Mental Fast and comfy , Just so comfy and really mental fast .
  Once I loose a few more kgs I will do it justice and be mental fast ?
   Did I say it is fast and mental ?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »
Did I say it is fast and mental ?
A bit like your good self then?  :-*
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:54:32 pm »
I've added a Raptobike Midracer review, at last.

In related news I bumped into Tim in Dunkeld - though I only had a chance to recognise him because he'd hopped off the bike for a quick half...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »
Love the review of the Gaucho highracer very tempting! now wheres that creditcard.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »
Laid Back Bikes is actually selling the black Nazca Gaucho, frameset or complete bike.  Check out the LBB website or Velovision's forum.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2012, 07:26:48 pm »
Now sold, I think...

I've just added a link to my write-up of the recently completed Milan velomobile.

Do you have a firm ETA for your Quest yet, Arellcat?

new: folding tandem with rohloff
« Reply #13 on: 08 December, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
Added the Quetzal: folding tandem with Rohloff... very nice indeed  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »
In the unlikely event of barakta and I winning the lottery...

« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:23:14 am »
After another shameful delay, I've now published my review of the ICE Sprint 20RS:

http://mccraw.co.uk/ice-sprint-20-rs-review/

Bestseller for a reason...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 24 January, 2013, 11:51:51 am »
I've been looking forward to that review, and agree wholeheartedly with most of what you said.

It's stunningly well-engineered, slow, hard work (though choice of tyre makes a big difference, like any three wheeler), great fun at high speed, really gets noticed in traffic and achieves a high level of comfort from the outset.

The mesh seat is an excellent example of the species, though being wide of hip and used to hardshell seats I'm not really a fan.  It's worth noting that the useful pocket in the back of the seat isn't as waterproof as it looks.

Having that rear mech low to the ground clogs easily and becomes tedious off-road, though (which can simply mean a leafy cyclepath or a hundred metres across freshly cut grass at a campsite, rather than the sort of silliness you ought to be using an Adventure for), and I'd strongly recommend hub gears in the 20" models for that reason.

« Reply #17 on: 24 January, 2013, 01:26:02 pm »
Thanks Kim, that's good feedback.

Personally I might be won away by a Sprint 26, but an Alfine 11 Sprint 20 would be a nice combo...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2013, 02:52:57 pm »
I love my Alfine-11 Sprint of course, although I do occasionally wonder what a 26" rear wheel would have been like. Kinda appealing in a way, but I've never even ridden one and I stuck with what I knew when I ordered Alfie.

Although the Alfine means you have less gear stuff going on at the back, it still needs a big chain tensioner (ICE fitted a Sora for me) and that does mean that it picks up grot and grass when off-roading. I don't plan to off-road but sometimes, when following official cycle routes, you find yourself unexpectedly doing so! I reckon the 26" wheel would be a big improvement for this.

A good review, Dave, and I am most taken by photos of a clean and shiny trike. I have two ICE trikes but neither of them are in any way clean or shiny!!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: 24 January, 2013, 11:47:58 pm »
I've fitted a Schlumpf HSD and a Rohloff to my sprint.
I think this is the best combo for a long distance touring trike due to the 1300% gear range.
34/16 on a 20" wheel is now the lowest Rohloff approved combo for this setup.

Main downside is that combo plus a dyno-hub doubles the price of a trike ........  ;D

« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:18:02 am »
That is quite some range!

1300%  - if you set the lowest gear to 2mph @ 50rpm, it would still top out at 52mph @ 100rpm  :o

« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:41:15 pm »
mine is a adventure with the 26" rear wheel .i use a sram 3/9 and have kept the triple on the front giving me 81 gears . the 26" wheel does keep the mech as clear of the mud as a mtb would .i would have liked to run a alfine hub system but i cannot afford to ,my current does give a nice wide range of gears though :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2013, 06:49:48 pm »
Nazca Gaucho 26" mini photoblog now up. A versatile bike which handles really nicely, and great load-carrying capabilities...

« Reply #23 on: 17 April, 2013, 12:49:06 pm »
Bit of a hiatus on this, but I've now added articles on both the ICE Sprint 26 and ICE Adventure HD:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 17 April, 2013, 03:08:23 pm »
I only just realised there isn't a stock version of the Adventure with a 26" rear wheel (as ridden by cycleman OTP).  That seems like a bit of an omission, as there are clear off-road advantages in terms of traction and ground clearance, which he demonstrated admirably well on the last Tunnel Ride.