Author Topic: Protein powder  (Read 6798 times)

Re: Protein powder
« Reply #25 on: 02 April, 2019, 11:34:20 am »
I think I'm going to have to try some of this stuff.

Having serious difficulty keeping my weight up. Down to 73kg from 84kg in a year. Starting weight was a bit high. Healthy is probably about 75kg. At 73 I'm starting to look very thin, and I'm having problems maintaining strength.

I eat as much as I can manage. Don't restrict what I eat, apart from not eating huge amounts of carbs. Breakfast is a large bowl of muesli though, and every meal includes something like oats or rice, I'm not on a low-carb diet).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:59:08 pm »
You could also consider Huel, which is more than just protein.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 02 April, 2019, 08:54:23 pm »
Umm... mrcharly, is your muesli definitely gluten-free? Might this be causing you malabsorption?

« Reply #28 on: 03 April, 2019, 12:39:06 pm »
Umm... mrcharly, is your muesli definitely gluten-free? Might this be causing you malabsorption?
It is. I do wonder if I need to give up oats - although since reducing carbs I have been able to cease taking omeprazole. Big win.

Suspect weight loss is a factor exercise and stress.

High-stress job (60-65hours per week)
20miles per day cycle commute
3 sessions per week of high intensity training (usually 2 of intervals and one 1hr time trial). If I miss a session, I go to the gym instead.

Sometimes, if I can, additional weekend session of long slow distance (2-2.5 hours). If I do the weekend session, that is another 20miles cycle ride.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #29 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:02:15 pm »
What I can say about Huel:

1: Your stomach will have fun - farts and more trips to the loo - for a few days while you are getting used to it.

2: I find that an evening meal at about 450 cal, last me longer that a home cooked meal with seconds which I often guess to be way past 800 cal (even Peli's veggie and dairy free rissotto clocks up some calls when you have seconds and add roasted chicken :) )

I "normally" evening dinner eat at about 7PM last me to about 6AM and not much longer even with a late snack/pudding. One meal of Huel, last me from the same time and past 9AM. If I eat before because of plans/stuff, I eat because I have too not because of hunger. Where on normal food I can't last much past 6AM because of HUNGER !

I didn't find a massive weight loss, ok I'm not cycling or as active as you. I didn't find the boost of energy that they advertised you would get on Huel. Maybe because I only have one Huel meal a day.

Breakfast : yogurt, nuts, seeds, oats and a nananananana.
Lunch : what ever that is there, but only one plate. always a veggie meal and often with some chicken or sausage. 
Dinner : 3 scoops of Huel. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #30 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:18:09 pm »
I just tried roughly adding up the food I eat each day. It only comes to a bit over 2000kcal, which seems insane. Calorie calculators say I need about 3000.
Breakfast: large bowl of muesli
Lunch: baked potato with beans and cheese. bit of salad on it, I add mayo as well.
2nd lunch is salad with some cheese and rice (or oatcakes)
Dinner: omelette, rissotto, curry or something similar. Medium sized bowl.

Snacks throughout day; nuts, granola bars (probably 2).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 03 April, 2019, 01:59:56 pm »
Mrcharly's energy out > energy in. More energy needed.

Just ordered another 2.5kg Whey Protein for David. Price seems to have jumped with both Impact and Bulk Powders since last purchase, even with discount code.

« Reply #32 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »
I have probably underestimated my intake - I've started snacking on nuts as well. Still, I am always hungry.

Looking at the protein powders, a lot contain sucralose. Would rather avoid that, it is a laxative. No doubt that accounts for the farts etc.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 03 April, 2019, 04:02:49 pm »
I always get unflavoured. I don't think it contains sucralose.

Just been back to my Bulk Powders account. 2.5kg whey powder has doubled in price since 2015!

« Reply #34 on: 03 May, 2019, 04:58:03 pm »
Follow up.

I bought the unflavoured stuff. As Helen said, it doesn't contain any additives. I mix it with chocolate nesquik, which adds some little carbs (needed for utilizing protein). Only using 2 scoops a day, which adds up to 48g of protein.

No farts. In fact, using this has reduced my reliance on snacking on muesli bars etc and reduced my overall fart-production. Satiety increased.

Can't argue with my paddling results. I'm getting much stronger and faster.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #35 on: 04 May, 2019, 11:24:53 am »
For protein snack, and not too fart inducing, I can recommend Grenade “carb kills” bars. OT, Huel are now in the office building next to my workplace.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 11 May, 2019, 01:33:01 pm »
Can some clever person explain to me WHY our 2.5kg bag of Pure Whey Protein Powder is inscribed with 'KEEP OUT OF OF REACH OF CHILDREN' in many languages?
Is it any more dangerous than any cows' milk powder? If so, why?

The bag does not appear like an immediate suffocation hazard as it's fairly stiff and non-clingy.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Protein powder
« Reply #37 on: 11 May, 2019, 03:23:06 pm »
The main thing I wanted to do was have a protein hit just before bedtime (although I can't remember the paper that gave me that idea).

I don’t have the reference to hand but there was a recent study that found taking casein before sleep makes it easier for the body to absorb it. Sounds like that could be the paper you’re referring to?

(ETA: I posted before reading the whole thread so didn’t see the link had subsequently been posted, sorry)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #38 on: 11 May, 2019, 03:29:08 pm »
Greek Yoghurt - I can't stand the 0% fat variety; I have no idea why anyone would want to.

Because cottage cheese is worse?

https://youtu.be/ht1vouSNy4I
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."