Author Topic: I tried to freewheel....  (Read 3376 times)

I tried to freewheel....
« on: 14 April, 2008, 10:57:46 am »
...and I won't do it again  :'(

I thought I was starting to get to grips with Andy's fixed machine.  I quite liked pootling around town and finding it strangely easier to get up the hill to our house than with gears.  I'd had a few moments of difficulty at stop lines and such, but I was getting on with it ok.

We'd just popped into town yesterday, when a couple of kids rode out in front of me.  No problem, I'll just freewheel and steer round them.  I was out of the saddle and the time.  Bike says 'no'.  I eat tarmac.  Joy.

Lesson learnt.

Chris N

Re: I tried to freewheel....
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:41:36 am »
Ouch.  You ok?  I got a gentle nudge yesterday when I tried to adjust my Camelbak straps before a long downhill.  Thankfully I started pedalling sharpish.

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:46:47 am »
Yes, mostly ok.  I got stabbed with the brake lever  ??? and most of the rest of the scrapes and bruises are from the bike I think.

I'm also quite grateful that Andy's response on seeing me go down wasn't to rush over to the bike screaming "my bike, my bike, what have you done to my bike."  Just a small scrape on the Brookes, which he may be sulking about.

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:57:43 am »
It took 15 years of riding fixed before that happened to me.

Weird.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:57:51 am »
"my bike, my bike, what have you done to my bike."

;D  Chicks Guys dig scars.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 12:08:39 pm »
My worst moment of this type was heading back from Westleton to Middleton in Suffolk (just off the Dun Run route).  25mph into a sharp left-hand bend, and 30 years of experience cry, "Stop pedalling!".

I didn't come off, but the bike kangaroo-jumped for several pedal revs.  A classic example of the irresistible force meets immovable object scenario.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:15:30 pm »
I must relax my legs much more on freeweeling, cause the couple of times I've tried it on fixed, I've just had a gentle reminder.

Also, perhaps, I ride slowly...
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:33:13 pm »
Nice judo-flip there Jasmine :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:35:35 pm »
"my bike, my bike, what have you done to my bike."

Something's wrong with Andy's response...  8)

I hate scratches.  :evil:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #9 on: 14 April, 2008, 01:38:52 pm »
I must relax my legs much more on freeweeling, cause the couple of times I've tried it on fixed, I've just had a gentle reminder.

Riding front of tandem tends to make you go gently to freewheel so as to avoid upsetting the stoker.