Author Topic: How to invoice/charge from an Excel spreadsheet  (Read 1098 times)

How to invoice/charge from an Excel spreadsheet
« on: 12 July, 2018, 09:20:31 am »
Scenario:

There are multiple storage trollies around a large campus that presently are just left to stand idle as there is no motivation to return them.

We intend to barcode them and use a current system to track their whereabouts and duration of booking out period. These data can then be exported to an Excel sheet.

Is there a simple way of then using the Excel data to charge users for the hire period? I'm sure there is, but don't know what.

TIA.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: How to invoice/charge from an Excel spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:33:57 am »
for sure, look at some of  these first,

https://templates.office.com/en-us/Invoices

Actually, you can just look at file ->New -> invoices on your excel installation

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
Assuming your exported data arrives in Excel format in tidy shaped table (not as comma delimited etc) with a row for each “hire event” that you want to invoice then

1. Create yourself a suitable invoice template on another worksheet in the same excel workbook. Add in VAT calculations, charging tariff etc so that it will compute the cost for the hire event.
2. Link the cells in the template to the relevant data in the first row of your data table using =cell address type command.
3. Your invoice form will now be completed with your first hire event.
4. Save as pdf the invoice worksheet for hire event #1
5. Delete row 1 of your data table and the invoice form will now be updated with the row 2 data.
6. Update the invoice number and any other manual data needed
7. Save as pdf the invoice worksheet for hire event #2 etc.

If you don’t want to delete the row then cut and paste it into a “completed invoice” worksheet. You could then add a column to enter the invoice number you used for that row.

There is undoubtedly a way of doing all that automatically but I’m not that bright  ;D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2018, 09:31:17 pm »
Why not just use mail merge? Get the spreadsheet to calculate the hire charges, filter on 'not yet sent' or 'not yet paid' for reminders and do a mail merge. Then set all the rows present to 'invoice sent' so they are not picked up by the next round.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping now that the Excel data can be used in an in-house package I didn't know about. I can't see why not, but what do I know?!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.