Author Topic: Transcontinental 2018  (Read 25742 times)

Re: Transcontinental 2018
« Reply #25 on: 24 February, 2018, 03:59:58 am »
Lucky enough to have snagged a spot too. Looking forward to making your acquaintances "in the flesh" prior to the gun and perhaps also on the road if our paths cross.
I'll be with Mrs Morbihan at G'bergen so please forgive me if I'm distracted during the build up.  We are a tight unit.
Good luck with the preparation :-)
often lost.

« Reply #26 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:37:24 pm »
Final draft of the route done. It comes in at a little under 3,900km and slightly less than 40,000m of climbing.
I'm almost certainly riding on wide 44mm compass tires this time (roubaix 32 last year) After an initial faff to get them properly sealed, the level of comfort has been a revelation and speed doesn't seem to be adversely affected.
Other changes from last year are an "extra" gear on the cassette allowing for 34/34 and a lighter set up of around 17kg with water.
I've done a lot of boning up on map software too that caused so many issues last year.
Looking forward to seeing the starting line up in the near future.

often lost.

« Reply #27 on: 25 May, 2018, 12:10:47 pm »
<<< This idiot is doing the TABR and TCR double again.

« Reply #28 on: 25 May, 2018, 09:38:50 pm »
I just found out today that a colleague has secured a place for this.

You're all barmy I tell you.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #29 on: 26 May, 2018, 10:48:27 am »
You're only crazy if you keep doing the same thing expecting a different outcome...

Oh...

« Reply #30 on: 29 May, 2018, 01:34:43 am »
You're only crazy if you keep doing the same thing expecting a different outcome...

Oh...

You crazy man, but good crazy. Good on ya Hippy.
often lost.

« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2018, 07:38:19 am »
The starters list is up for TCR.
https://www.transcontinental.cc/riderstcrn06/
Some serious racing snakes for the sharp end but no Kristof.
I managed to fracture my pelvis 11 days ago and on crutches, so its going to be tight for #81.
often lost.

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:16:54 am »
> under 3,900km and slightly less than 40,000m

Is that with the required parcours included?
I think James said his route was 44k climb so I wonder if he's going more direct or you're on better (/banned) roads :)
I need to add mine up.

#142 back in the house

« Reply #33 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:48:40 am »

I think James said his route was 44k climb so I wonder if he's going more direct or you're on better (/banned) roads :)
I need to add mine up.

#142 back in the house

It is. My route was plotted on komoot though so not sure if the elevation it gave me is kosher.
Its good to see you back. Kristof isn't on the start list so you might win :-)
Did you finish TABR? I lost track of proceedings half way through when I went off to fracture my pelvis in Tanzania.
Mountain bikes. Dangerous things.
often lost.

« Reply #34 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:53:13 am »

I need to add mine up.

#142 back in the house

It is. My route was plotted on komoot though so not sure if the elevation it gave me is kosher.
Its good to see you back. Kristof isn't on the start list so you might win :-)
Did you finish TABR? I lost track of proceedings half way through when I went off to fracture my pelvis in Tanzania.
Mountain bikes. Dangerous things.

Ah, yeah, I tested that before TCR4 - Strava vs. RWGPS gave massively different elevations. I wonder what your route is in RWGPS.

Yeah, I'm definitely going for the win, what with my easy lead up, lack of injury and huge power to weight advantage over the others... erm...

Yeah, I finished 8th, a bit faster than last year with an ok ride (issues at the start with wrong saddle height so almost quit at Lolo with bad knee/Achilles).

Tanzania? You made that place up right? *googles* :)

« Reply #35 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:00:51 am »
Alas I'm not able to ride.  I had to drop out when doctors kept finding blockages in my cardiac arteries.  I had an operation a couple of weeks ago to fix them.  I'm now back on my bike for short, steady rides, but this would be way too much, too soon.  So I'll have to be content to dot-watch again.

« Reply #36 on: 13 July, 2018, 11:22:40 am »
Cap number 134 reporting in, eager to start now!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #37 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:24:36 pm »
Alas I'm not able to ride.  I had to drop out when doctors kept finding blockages in my cardiac arteries.  I had an operation a couple of weeks ago to fix them.  I'm now back on my bike for short, steady rides, but this would be way too much, too soon.  So I'll have to be content to dot-watch again.
blimey, glad to hear you are on the mend. although heart surgeons jokingly call themselves plumbers, the prospect of heart surgery always seems like a big deal to me.

« Reply #38 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:38:45 am »
Sorry not to be meeting you in GB Frank. Thank goodness your condition was discovered before any serious problems arose.
 Maybe you will be feeling supercharged once you have had your pipes blown out.
Zigzag I thought you were racing again this year but didn't see you are not on the start list?
often lost.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #39 on: 19 July, 2018, 09:57:34 am »
not racing the tcr this year, but have a vague plan to pop over to cp1 to meet and greet some of you!

« Reply #40 on: 23 July, 2018, 11:02:36 am »
not racing the tcr this year, but have a vague plan to pop over to cp1 to meet and greet some of you!

Hope to see you there Zig Zag.
Managed to lose the crutches this week and knock out an epic 30km ride.  Getting on and off the bike was tricky/painful but funny enough cycling wasn't too bad. I'll hang off the back up the Muur to get out of everyones way.
Will you still be at CP1 in Mid August? :-)

See you in GB cap 134.
often lost.

« Reply #41 on: 23 July, 2018, 12:12:50 pm »
Good to hear you are better.  With pelvis fractures I understand that it depends on exactly where it is as to how compatible it is likely to be with cycling.  I recall Nick Jackson (Flatlander) did most of PBP 2011 with a broken pelvis but LWaB had one more recently and wasn't able to ride.  However, it goes without saying that you wouldn't want to start something like this unless you were pretty well mended.

Congrats on your 30km ride.  I've done slightly more than you - I've managed 40 - mostly round Richmond Park (avoiding the hills) and am doing 30km to and from work most days.  On a good day I've been putting out more power than I would on the TCR....  But I'm definitely out.

The doctor reckons I should be fully recovered by mid-September and then I should be able to do whatever I want.  Although the number of pills I'd have to carry would be a definite disadvantage in an ultra-race!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 25 July, 2018, 12:28:02 am »

I'm not riding the TCR, but I am planning on cycling down to Geraadsbergen for the weekend to watch the start and enjoy the festivities.

Is anyone else from these parts who isn't racing planning on attending?

Anyone got on thoughts on where best to watch the race start from?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #43 on: 25 July, 2018, 11:02:18 am »
I'll be at there on freeroute duties, freaking out at the lack of feeds from TL.

The start is from the main square, up the Muur as part of a neutralised lap around town before climbing the Muur for a second time in racing mode. Head to square in good time, grab a wooden torch, light it with the others and make your way somewhere up the Muur for the best experience I would say.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #44 on: 25 July, 2018, 11:35:01 am »
I got cap 23.

My website http://www.lison.co.uk has links to my GPS Tracker, Strava, Twitter and Instagram.

I finished my route yesterday. Still working on the bike setup.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #45 on: 25 July, 2018, 11:45:15 am »
Wow good luck mate  :thumbsup:
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #46 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:17:51 am »
Glad to hear you are getting it sorted Frank. Thank goodness they found that out and addressed the issue. Time to plan for the next one at leisure.

I had some back and forth with my orthopaedic surgeon before I decided whether to compete or not. He concluded that as the fracture was stable and (where it was located) I was unlikely to do any further damage. He says pain will be the guide of whats possible so I'll stay off the painkillers and just use AI to keep tabs on things.

My first drama will be getting up the Muur with all the other riders.  I plan to hang off the back and try to spin up seated out of everyones way. If I have to dismount on the steep sections I wouldn't be able to remount and get going again.

We are heading across to Belgium tomorrow (currently in Brittany)
See some of you soon.

often lost.

« Reply #47 on: 26 July, 2018, 09:29:18 am »
Good luck, J.  Not a bad idea to hang off the back on the Muur in any case.  It sounds like your handicap will discourage you from having too many breaks, so may be helpful!  As you say, pain is the final arbiter and you'll know clearly enough if you have to stop.

Best of luck to everyone else riding, too.  I am most envious!

« Reply #48 on: 30 July, 2018, 07:15:40 am »
Several dots are in my town now. Parky taking the flat fast section along the canal while Mark Townsend makes a long stop at the local Mc Donalds. Several others are now on the main road to Aachen, a horrible time to be there. It'll be interesting to see how they cross Aachen, one of the worst towns for cycling in the whole area.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 30 July, 2018, 11:26:26 pm »
Several dots are in my town now. Parky taking the flat fast section along the canal while Mark Townsend makes a long stop at the local Mc Donalds. Several others are now on the main road to Aachen, a horrible time to be there. It'll be interesting to see how they cross Aachen, one of the worst towns for cycling in the whole area.

There's been a lot of discussion about the small group that went north, obviously wanting a flatter, if longer route. Will be interesting to see if it actually pays off.

I watched the start from the Muur. Utter madness and crazy. Was wonderful. I spent the weekend in Geraadsbergen and had a number of really good conversations with many riders. I'm now 99% certain that I shall apply to ride next year.

Good luck to everyone riding number 6!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/