Author Topic: 2016. How was it for you?  (Read 6491 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: 2016. How was it for you?
« Reply #25 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:05:33 am »
A bit different this year. 3 longest days in the saddle (only > 100 mile rides) were in January, August and December. Just 2 early-season 100km  Audaxes. First year since 1987 without a 200km or above to my name.

But set off with camping gear in mid-April and got home in mid-August. On the trip I went further north than I'd ever been before and also at one point was further east than Istanbul. I spent 65 nights on campsites, 39 nights wild camping, 8 nights in hotels, hostels etc, 3 nights on board ship and one night on the road. 10 countries visited (some more than once) Met loads and loads of interesting people. Unlike in 2014 I didn't trouble the Swedish or German health services (but did buy some Immodium at a remote Finnish pharmacy, by which time it was too late).

Finished off the year with a #festive500.

Which all contributed to a rather flattering ranking in the Veloviewer explorer(tiles) leaderboard for 2016 (points for going to places (i.e. OSM tiles) you've never been to before)

Total distance for the year: a smidgen under 1,600 miles (Swedish miles* that is, none of your wussy imperial miles).

*many of them were actually Norwegian miles. 1 Norwegian mile = 1 Swedish mile.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #26 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:09:22 am »
So close to 10000 miles :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #27 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:10:12 am »
Well, I had a good cycling year - my highest ever yearly mileage, which was a side-effect of riding a ridiculous number of audaxes. I set myself the target of 100 points, as long as I enjoyed them.

Mostly, I did - the only audax that stands out as a bit miserable was leaving work early at 2 pm in March to ride 200 km, and it was a long day, arriving home after midnight, with lots of riding in the dark on my own. However, even that had its highlights, especially the views of the fat stormclouds sitting over Darlo, and pausing in a Yorkshire lane to look up at the field of stars. More importantly, it was one the early iterations of the route which became the Peculier Old 200 - I never made it explicit, but in a lot ways the ride was a tribute to my dad, who'd died earlier in the year, and I had a great time chasing round pubs and volunteers (not to mention being chased by volunteers when I'd been a bit lax with comms), and on the day it all just-about came together. That was probably the best ride of the year, especially hearing how great it was from riders at the finish, then from the volunteers and pubs when I went round for the debriefs.

On the audaxes, I rode the B7076 a few too many times, but I also rode with Steve Gee a lot, and had a great laugh. I rode very few audaxes solo - and the best of them all was the Borders of Belgium 1000, as it was a pretty social ride with D.A.L.E., ramcityrocker and (occasionally) fboab, and it nearly always felt more like a holiday than hard work. Dales's shit-eating grins at headwinds and other random stuff were brilliant. Dale was another good riding companion this year - I only lost my temper once with him, on the National 400, when his love-hate relationship with his Garmin stopped being funny. As I rode down to the National 400, this also meant that I left my house on Friday, and on Saturday I was in Wales. Brilliant!

The Mille Pennines 1000 was a different beast, and I can't really ignore it. A lot of my riding early in the year was with this in mind, so hills, hills and more hills. Luckily, I have hills nearby, and of the hilly rides I rode, Revellinho's Lakeland 200 and the Dales Grimpeur were both testing but fantastic rides, so I had no excuses for not completing the Mille Pennines. It was quite a ride, and I'll be back next year (as a volunteer).

I could gibber on about audaxes, and they did form a lot of my cycling year. The November 300 km with Steve including frost and COR is like a weird dream of still air and darkness and icy roads when I think back now - I've actually accumulated more audax points now than I had at the same point last season, so I'm pleased to report that I haven't killed my joy in riding a bike. I should thank fboab for the extra fillip to ride more audaxes, by the way, as she pointed out that we were head-to-head in the club points championship, and we had an entertaining not-quite-rivalry the rest of the year, even though we didn't ride together a huge amount (mind you, taking her to Whygate was a great way to spend a BH Monday).

Away from audax, I actually rode with my sisters a fair bit as they're getting into cycling (and will probably outclass me, as big sisters should), and had a great weekend with Peter exploring the tracks of Upper Teesdale before a gig. That was nearly the only camping I did, apart from a week on Isla and Jura with a distillery tour which I should probably finish. I didn't get any farther north in Scotland, which is a shame.

There were also a final few rides with Graeme while he was still living up here - I especially enjoyed the run around the ranges post-Mille Pennines. It was about the right distance for a ride of enjoyment, and I think I'll aim for more of that next year.

« Reply #28 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:13:19 am »
A bit different this year. 3 longest days in the saddle (only > 100 mile rides) were in January, August and December. Just 2 early-season 100km  Audaxes. First year since 1987 without a 200km or above to my name.

But set off with camping gear in mid-April and got home in mid-August. On the trip I went further north than I'd ever been before and also at one point was further east than Istanbul. I spent 65 nights on campsites, 39 nights wild camping, 8 nights in hotels, hostels etc, 3 nights on board ship and one night on the road. 10 countries visited (some more than once) Met loads and loads of interesting people. Unlike in 2014 I didn't trouble the Swedish or German health services (but did buy some Immodium at a remote Finnish pharmacy, by which time it was too late).

Finished off the year with a #festive500.

Which all contributed to a rather flattering ranking in the Veloviewer explorer(tiles) leaderboard for 2016 (points for going to places (i.e. OSM tiles) you've never been to before)

Total distance for the year: a smidgen under 1,600 miles (Swedish miles* that is, none of your wussy imperial miles).

*many of them were actually Norwegian miles. 1 Norwegian mile = 1 Swedish mile.

Bloody hell, I'm 9th :D ;D :o

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:15:58 am »

What a splendid metric.  Much better than that Eddington rubbish.   :thumbsup:

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #30 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:19:05 am »
So close to 10000 miles :)

Apologies, I should of course add that there were also some Danish miles in there too.

[I'll spare everyone my rant about obsessions with round numbers]

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #31 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:33:56 am »

What a splendid metric.  Much better than that Eddington rubbish.   :thumbsup:

I only found out about it today. The other explorer metric is how big a square of tiles you have visited. Mine is a paltry 8x8, but I reckon I could make it 10x10 fairly easily.

Full explanation here

I may have benefitted from
The actual km size of each tile does vary slightly based on the latitude with the tiles being smaller the closer to the poles you are but I’m sure the weather at those latitudes more than make up for the advantage!
especially as I got slightly sunburned on the day I was nearest to the N Pole.

« Reply #32 on: 03 January, 2017, 12:37:48 am »
@ Deano

A great effort Dean!  The camping weekend in Teesdale was a highlight of my year, too.

Peter

« Reply #33 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:58:48 am »
Hmm.... I was thinking about this over the festive period and whilst I achieved everything I set out to achieve I finished the year feeling somewhat flat about it all and couldn't find the motivation to ride at all. Highlights were Venetian Nights and The Cumbrian, maybe having company changed my approach since far and away the bulk of my nearly 8000 miles were done solo, usually I enjoy the solitude but it has started to wear a bit.

Getting the MTB running again and rediscovering the fun to be had getting muddy was a good thing.

Lowlights were my seemingly numerous cases of bouncing down the road, particularly getting knocked off in November as I'm still feeling the effects of this physically and mentally and am becoming very tired of just getting home in one piece being a serious achievement.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #34 on: 05 January, 2017, 03:36:18 pm »
Should have been a really disappointing year - less centuries, less audax events, only just scraped an SR series, rarely felt like I was going at my best, pretty much every target and milestone missed and yet.  I enjoyed my riding last year more than most.  Highlights:

- that 100km recovery ride to the Vogelberg from Basel with 2300km ascent a few weeks after packing 440k into the Tan Hill 600 with knee trouble - wonderful roads in great weather
- riding a night stage of the Flatlands 600 with Teethgrinder
- getting lost in Sainsbury's Chichester at the end of ELs 400 perm looking for some pasta to cook after a Sussex monsoon had failed to defeat leg 1 of my SR series resurrection
- riding up the Hochblauen after work and seeing the Alps from over 200km away
- the cafe in Lampeter that was open at 7.30am 8 hours after I'd started a Cambrian 300 perm at 11.20pm
- riding in north Pembrokeshire with CET Junior
- after a dry summer, taking the Audax bike up the bridlepath on the south side of Bignor Hill and so completing an unlikely roadbike traverse of the South Downs
- just before Christmas finding the cyclepath by the A3 at Butser complete and taking a break 100 feet above the night traffic
- pretty much all of the Old Roads and Drove Roads that wasn't into the wind and some parts that were
- completing a 12th SR series after only finishing one Audax event before 1 August

So if I have as much fun not making targets this year as last it will all be fine.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #35 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:27:20 am »
But you got to ride out to see us :) Hopefully we can make it a ride this year, as we will be back!

One of the highlights Woolly - looking forward to the Malham weekend :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #36 on: 07 January, 2017, 10:03:27 am »
In a word, shit!

A combination of badly placed work, long hours, illness (mine and others in the family) and holidays have meant that I have rarely gotten out on my bike this year.  Even the last Wednesday night pub ride was done via car (for me, at any rate).

I daren't even look at Strava to see how many miles I haven't achieved this year (I suspect less than 1000)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State