Author Topic: The Petworth End of Summer 100 and 200 Sunday 29th Oct 2017  (Read 3659 times)

AJB

The Petworth End of Summer 100 and 200 Sunday 29th Oct 2017
« on: 22 August, 2017, 10:04:13 pm »
The Petworth End of Summer 100 @ 08:00 GMT (NOTE THE TIME)

An End of Summer 100k ride of three loops starting from Pound Street Car Park, Petworth, W Sussex and centred on the Hampers Green Community Centre, Petworth. Route revised from previous years to use more country lanes when possible.

Start in the free Pound Street Car Park (Behind Co-Op Store). Two feeds on route plus at the finish all in a VILLAGE HALL. Ideal for those wishing for a swift morning run & for those who would like to take until nearly 15:00. If you wish to ride a 200k or more this event makes the ideal one to ECE and then you have complete control over the roads you use for the extra Kms.

No entries on the line.

The ride consists of the original three loops, but based on feedback from the 2015 and 2016 versions of this ride a number of changes have been made, including the use of more country lanes whenever possible and a change in the direction of travel for Stage 2. Hopefully these will address the reported issues of sharing the road with too many cars, many of which pass too closely. However, we are still centred on Petworth and the Village Hall at Hampers Green.

Stage 1 (37k) leaving Petworth by the High St you are soon back on the original main road route for a short distance before heading SE to Watersfield (Info Control) on country lanes. From Watersfield, without going way over distant using minor roads, you turn NE on the A29 towards Pulborough and Adversane (Info Control). From Adversane you travel N to join the A272 before travelling SW back to the control at the Hampers Green Village Hall, Petworth. Although you can remain on the A272 all the way back to Petworth, the suggested route takes in country lanes through Wisborough Green and Kirdford.

Stage 2 (40k) initially on a main road you head S out of Petworth towards Duncton Hill, but instead of climbing it you turn W towards Cocking on country lanes. Back on a main road, and the easier climb out of Cocking you head S to the village of Singleton (Info Control) before continuing E again on country lanes towards Upwaltham before rejoining the main road and head N back to the Hampers Green Village Hall, Petworth with the DESCENT of Duncton Hill.

Stage 3 (31k) initially leaving Petworth N on a main road before turning W through Lurgashall on country lanes. After joining the A286 you head S for a short distance before a slight detour up a steep country lane to Henley (final Info Control). You can continue S to Midhurst and take the A272 back to Petworth, but a more scenic and hopefully with significantly less traffic route is provided, that parallels the A272, taking in Lickfold, River and Upperton, before joining the A272 at Tillington and the short section on the A272 to Petworth and the final control at the Hampers Green Village Hall, Petworth.

The Petworth End of Summer 200 @ 07:00 GMT (NOTE THE TIME)

An End of Summer 200k ride of two loops  starting from Pound Street Car Park, Petworth, W Sussex and centred on Hampers Green Community Centre, Petworth. Route totally revised from previous years to use more country lanes when possible.

POSTAL FINISH

Start in the free Pound Street Car Park (Behind Co-Op Store). One feed on route at halfway in the Hampers Green Village Hall.

No entries on the line.

The ride consists of two loops, but based on feedback from 2016 version of this ride I’ve made several changes, including the use of more country lanes whenever possible and changes in the direction of travel with a descent of Duncton Hill.

Hopefully these will address the reported issues of sharing the road with too many cars, many of which pass too closely.

Stage 1 (34k) leaving Petworth by the High St you are soon back on the original main road route heading SE through Pulborough and Storrington to Steyning. Passing though Steyning you take the lanes through Botolphs and Coombes to the Shoreham By Pass for the first checkpoint.

Stage 2 (40k) retracing back to Steyning you then pass through Bramber, before turning E through Eburton and Fulking. From Fulking you head N, avoiding many main roads, and pass through Wineham, Warninglid and Handscross, before arriving at the Pease Pottage Services (near Crawley) to control.

Stage 3 (56k) leaving Pease Pottage you head W to Colgate before heading N through Faygate and Rusper. From Rusper you head NW towards Capel. A short section on the A24 is needed before turning W towards Cranleigh. The main road could have been used, but you are taken down Were Street, passing through Paynes Green, Oakwoodhill and Walliswood before reaching the outskirts of Ewhurst. Back on a main road you are soon in Cranleigh (INFO) before heading SW, passing through Alfold, Loxwood and Kirdford, before arriving for a well-earned feed and CONTROL at the Hampers Green Village Hall.

Stage 4 (35km) initially leaving Petworth N on a main road before you turn W through Lurgashall and Fernhurst on country lanes. Further country lanes after Fernhurst take you W to Elmers Marsh before you head N to Liphook (INFO). From Liphook, you head SW on the old A3 to Petersfield and the well-used Esso Petrol Station to control.

Stage 5 (48km) from Petersfield you head SE to South Harting before climbing the Downs, and then passing through Chilgrove to Lavant. After a short section on a main road in Lavant, you are soon skirting the N of Chichester to the final INFO. To make navigation easier, especially for those still awheel after dark, you return to Petworth via a main road, that includes a descent of Duncton Hill, so please take care. Remember to obtain a receipt from the COOP or other outlets before leaving.

AJB

Re: The Petworth End of Summer 100 and 200 Sunday 29th Oct 2017
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2017, 05:31:25 pm »
Amended Routesheets uploaded to the AUK Event website.

Also GPS track split into stages

AJB

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2017, 05:26:06 pm »
A quick reminder that entries to the above rides close in just over a weeks time on Sunday October 15th

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:36:56 pm »
I aam in! Should get my wife in as wellI hope!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2017, 01:02:40 am »
Now entered the 200! Looks like a well-planned route. :)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:05:39 pm »
Entered the 100, changes to the route mean I may be a bit slower but it should be quieter along the lanes!
Reine de la Fauche

AJB

« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »
Will be undertaking the final route check of the 100 this Sunday (14th) with Richard Phipps and the 200 next weekend.

Any changes to the route will be emailed to riders already entered. Hopefully not too many

AJB

AJB

« Reply #7 on: 14 October, 2017, 03:54:12 pm »
Entered the 100, changes to the route mean I may be a bit slower but it should be quieter along the lanes!

Quieter lanes is the intention of the route changes. See you in a few weeks JBB

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2017, 04:47:17 pm »
A quick reminder that entries to the above rides close in just over a weeks time on Sunday October 15th

I was just poking around the AUK site trying to keep the momentum up now that my partner is riding and it says this closes 25th Oct? Is it closed now or is the AUK site accurate? Cheers.

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:01:27 pm »
The entry button disappears when entries close. Quick, enter it now before Anton takes it away!

AJB

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2017, 05:42:02 pm »
Amended version of routesheet for the 100 uploaded to AUK site following final routecheck.

I decided to change the date that the ride closes for enties. It is still open until the 25th Oct now. Same for the 200.

AJB

AJB

« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2017, 04:48:05 pm »
Just a quick reminder that entries to the Petworth End of Summer 100 and 200 close tomorrow - October 25th

« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »
Thanks to Anton and his helpers (Richard, Chris, Supremo and Mrs Anton). Another enjoyable outing with the new route a little hillier in the fiinal loop but very pretty and thanks for organisingthe weather (it did not start paarticularly well with the brief rain at 8AM).
Joaquin

« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2017, 10:12:49 pm »
Thanks to Anton and his helpers (Richard, Chris, Supremo and Mrs Anton). Another enjoyable outing with the new route a little hillier in the fiinal loop but very pretty and thanks for organisingthe weather (it did not start paarticularly well with the brief rain at 8AM).
Joaquin

Another vote of thanks for Anton and his merry band. I think Chris broke the record for the delivery of my beans on toast  ;D
Good day out after (for me) a fairly chaotic start! Even though I'm no climber I preferred the new route - especially avoiding the A272. It's soul destroying after a few miles!
Reine de la Fauche

AJB

« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:20:27 pm »
Joaquin

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Sorry about the shower at the start. It was a lot heavier than I was expecting

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2017, 02:17:31 pm »
Thanks are due to Anton, Dave and the team of volunteers who made the rides possible.

My day on the 200 started in a rush as it took a bit longer to drive to the start than anticipated - but I only started 10 mins late. Quite a few riders were still milling around in Petworth, as they tried to find the correct road out! I did manage to make what should have been an straightforward 200km ride a little more challenging, however...!

All was going well for me until just before the Pease Pottage control, when I realised my derailleur was malfunctioning, and not drawing up the slack chailn like it should. The only safe gear to use was big chainring (50) and largest cassette (32?). Even then the chain would come off everytime I stopped and wheeled the bike. As you can imagine, progress on the flat was a little slow, and downhill mostly limited to spinning fast or freewheeling. Uphill was a little tough, especially on the steeper climbs. I decided to keep going, however, especially after a good feed on return to Petworth at the Community Centre, and one of El Supremo's famous cuppas. Enjoyed chatting with a few of the 100km riders who were lunching there as well.

Later on after dark my Garmin decided to jam, so I was back to the old days of following the route-sheet! I got back to the Coop and car park with 21 mins to spare, pleased that I hadn't given up and had battled on to finish. It got fairly chilly in the last couple of hours, so I was grateful that I had brought another layer ( a waterproof) along.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2017, 02:48:27 pm »
Enjoyed my first Petworth 200.  I was one of those who got lost in the first 200m, must have tried all the different ways out until I found the right one. Loved the cycle path through the woods.  Challenging climb @ 173 and the long drag @ 195.
Got cold at the end, good job I had my lightweight thermal top.