Author Topic: Losing voice & very tired ?  (Read 12561 times)

Losing voice & very tired ?
« on: 02 April, 2008, 11:37:06 am »
On Thursday I began to loose my voice in work. I was also feeling a bit overheated.  I've now been off since Friday. 

I've had a streaming nose, which has now dried up, but am achy (back)  & want to sleep all the time. My voice is still very croaky but my throat isn't actually sore.

Is this just a seasonal bug ? Do I need to see my GP (who thinks I'm a hypochondriac) ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
Re: Losing voice & very tired ?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:54:13 am »
Vile nasty cold bug that's doing the rounds at the present I'm afraid.

The family Gb has been struck down by it and Mrs Gb's voice is still not right although that may due to her being a teacher - occupational hazard!
Question everything, accept nothing.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 11:57:48 am »
Yes, it sounds like seasonal bug. I don't think you need to see your GP unless you're hoarse for over 2-3 weeks.

In the mean time, have plenty of hot drinks, and rest.

Get Well Soon!

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2008, 12:57:09 pm »
"Get Well Soon!"

Thanks,    I shall potter about, drink tea & listen to music.

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:02:14 pm »
After a week off sick and two weeks back I'm still not right.

A dry ticklish cough and my voice is still hoarse & keeps dropping out.

Time to see the Dr or will they just tell me it will get better in time ?  ???

Fi

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:13:07 pm »
Three weeks and no improvement is doc time I'd have thought.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 03:19:21 pm »
Agreed.

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:44:10 pm »
Cheers Doc,

Appointment made for Monday.

The cough is a mild irritation but I have to talk to people as part of my job.  It's annoying when I'm trying to discuss stuff with a customer and my voice disappears..

hav 2 lern 2 txt lik da kidz   :sick:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2008, 08:54:18 pm »
Cheers Doc,

Appointment made for Monday.

The cough is a mild irritation but I have to talk to people as part of my job.  It's annoying when I'm trying to discuss stuff with a customer and my voice disappears..

hav 2 lern 2 txt lik da kidz   :sick:

My Dad was on 'voice rest' following a throat op, so I taught Mum to txt...
(Dad could already text and has a qwerty keyboard on his phone.)

[Edit] See if you can get thyroid function tests, just in case your thyroid gland has gone on a go slow.

annie

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2008, 07:28:50 am »
Only just seen this thread Andrew, how are you today?  I hope you are managing to rest.

Have a huggle

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:54:25 am »
Thanks Annie,

I'm in work, hammering my keyboard & drinking too much coffee...

Hope you have a good day and are feeling better soon as well.

annie

« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:07:30 am »
Thanks Annie,

I'm in work, hammering my keyboard & drinking too much coffee...

Hope you have a good day and are feeling better soon as well.

Be gentle with those keys.  Are you buzzing from all the caffeine?

I am very chesty today, tired and a little bit grumpy.  I think it is because I ran out of chocolate yesterday.  On a good note I have a sports massage at 11am so shall be feeling very relaxed by noon.

Shall I send you some chocolate?

« Reply #12 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:40:47 pm »
Montezuma's with Chilli please.....  :P

Hope the massage was good.

It's a lovely sunny day in Liverpool, and I'm just enjoying chicken with sundried tomatoes on ciabatta, some big olives to follow!

annie

« Reply #13 on: 24 April, 2008, 01:20:51 pm »
Montezuma's with Chilli please.....  :P

Hope the massage was good.

It's a lovely sunny day in Liverpool, and I'm just enjoying chicken with sundried tomatoes on ciabatta, some big olives to follow!

The massage was wonderful, just perfect.  Sadly I had to spend 30 minutes in the shower trying to remove all of the oil. 

If you PM me your address I will get the chocolate tomorrow and post it to you.  I am certain it will aid your recovery. 

My lunch was not quite as exciting, toasted bagel with goats cheese, marmite and rocket.

« Reply #14 on: 24 April, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
Your're lovely! But I was always told never to accept sweeties from strange ladies.....  O:-)

"I had to spend 30 minutes in the shower trying to remove all of the oil."

And no one offered to help ...?

The last time I had a proper massage the chap threatened to charge me extra because he had to use so much oil to get through my fur coat!  If werewolf movies ever come back in fashion I'll have an alternative career.......

annie

« Reply #15 on: 24 April, 2008, 02:45:46 pm »
Your're lovely! But I was always told never to accept sweeties from strange ladies.....  O:-)
Often silly but seldom strange

"I had to spend 30 minutes in the shower trying to remove all of the oil."

And no one offered to help ...?
Murphy quite fancied licking it off my toes but that is a no no as it tickles too much.
The last time I had a proper massage the chap threatened to charge me extra because he had to use so much oil to get through my fur coat!  If werewolf movies ever come back in fashion I'll have an alternative career.......
;D ;D

« Reply #16 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:26:46 pm »
Well after a week of antibiotics (amoxicillin) I'm feeling no better.  Still loosing my voice , coughing & feeling tired.

I had some blood samples taken this morning so I'll call the GP in a few days and see if they show anything.

annie

« Reply #17 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:31:42 pm »
Well after a week of antibiotics (amoxicillin) I'm feeling no better.  Still loosing my voice , coughing & feeling tired.

I had some blood samples taken this morning so I'll call the GP in a few days and see if they show anything.

Ohh sorry to hear this.  I do hope you haven't been doing too much?  Listen to your body and rest.  I can't remember if you had a chest x ray or not?

« Reply #18 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:54:49 pm »
Hi Annie,   just going to work is all. I did a short ride to my parents at the weekend which has just turned rather sour*

The Dr poked & prodded me, my throat glands are not swollen, throat is slightly inflamed.

Stethoscope showed nothing,  I've also had some pain in my left side, she palpitated that but could feel nothing. I've had one bad gall bladder spasm in the past, so it may be twinging again. Have to wait & see what the tests say.

* One of our dogs, Lucy the Rottweiler has been ill for some time. She's not been herself for the last year at least and for the last month has had obvious pain in her left foreleg.

I said goodbye to her at the weekend and my dad phoned earlier to say the pain had got worse and they'd had to have her put down. Bone cancer. Same way the previous Rotty (Sophie, Lucy's relative) went.

I should really have gone round tonight but can't face the tears, so will probably do that tomorrow.  :'(

How are you ?  Are you resting or are you out & about ?

:-*

Elleigh

« Reply #19 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:13:23 pm »
Hi Annie,   just going to work is all. I did a short ride to my parents at the weekend which has just turned rather sour*

The Dr poked & prodded me, my throat glands are not swollen, throat is slightly inflamed.

Stethoscope showed nothing,  I've also had some pain in my left side, she palpitated that but could feel nothing. I've had one bad gall bladder spasm in the past, so it may be twinging again. Have to wait & see what the tests say.

* One of our dogs, Lucy the Rottweiler has been ill for some time. She's not been herself for the last year at least and for the last month has had obvious pain in her left foreleg.

I said goodbye to her at the weekend and my dad phoned earlier to say the pain had got worse and they'd had to have her put down. Bone cancer. Same way the previous Rotty (Sophie, Lucy's relative) went.

I should really have gone round tonight but can't face the tears, so will probably do that tomorrow.  :'(

Do you think you might be over doing things and perhaps need to slow down for a few weeks.  I once lost my voice for 9 months because I was stressed and run down.  I might be wrong, but at least you can rule it out if I am wrong.  I hope you feel better soon.

annie

« Reply #20 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:21:56 pm »
Many years ago I lost my voice and was referred to a Speech and Language Therapist to learn how to speak again.  This was due to working away from home all week, exhaustion and far too much stress. 

I have sent you a PM.

« Reply #21 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:56:18 pm »

Do you think you might be over doing things and perhaps need to slow down for a few weeks.  I once lost my voice for 9 months because I was stressed and run down.  I might be wrong, but at least you can rule it out if I am wrong.  I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks Elleigh,

My job is 8-4 and I'm trying to take it easy (to the annoyance of colleagues!)  Problem is I'm the main expert / troubleshooter for one of the services my company sells, so a lot of the jobs that come my way have already gone wrong & need recovering or have been sent to me to look after.  I enjoy this!  Most of the people I work with are happy to work in a production line environment, they moan when things go wrong but don't take the time to fix it.  I like solving problems and rescuing situations, but it doesn't endear me to management who think I spend too much time on it.

I'll have to think about a holiday, but I've not had one that didn't involve panniers & camping gear for 10 years! 

« Reply #22 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:22:02 pm »
Blood tests says all normal apart from a mildly elevated cholesterol level (5.7).

I don't think a low fat diet is going to fix my sore throat!

Guess I'll just have to take it easy until I start to feel better.  Looks like any camping tour will need to be postponed until autumn  >:(

annie

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:47:59 am »
Sorry to hear that you don't have a definite diagnosis.  Listen to your body and take it easy.

« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:17:24 am »
Sorry to hear that you don't have a definite diagnosis.  Listen to your body and take it easy.

I'll try,  i was talking to someone yesterday and my voice went all funny again.  It's a great excuse for avoiding voice conferences!