Author Topic: saving a .gpx file on a Mac  (Read 4132 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
saving a .gpx file on a Mac
« on: 20 August, 2018, 01:13:33 pm »
sorry if it's been asked a million times.

My old PC is in storage and trying to save a German Jakobsweg file

https://www.ich-geh-wandern.de/westf%C3%A4lischer-jakobsweg-etappe-9-schwelm-wermelskirchen

to my Mac.
I then wanna upload to my ipad for walking next week.
Or maybe I can do it 'straight through Viewranger ?

(I usually save as notepad file, but not sure if Mac has an equivalent)

Tips from IT wizards - thanks !

Re: saving a .gpx file on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2018, 01:45:03 pm »
I just clicked the download GPX button like.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2018, 01:49:12 pm »
The Mac won't be a problem (just click on the link and save the file like you would on a PC).  It's the uploading to the iPad that will be, because IOS pretends not to have a filesystem, so has no provision for storing files other than as data belonging some app or other.

How to proceed will depend on what app you intend to use to access the data on the iPad.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:24:29 pm »
Aha
after insisting on
"Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer"

I appear to be able to save to desktop by clicking the magnifying glass on the download button !

not intuitve -  just click here and there till something works !

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2018, 07:49:15 pm »
If you then connect your iPAd with a cable to the Mac - you may have to “Trust this computer” - and select the iPAd you should be able to add it to viewranger. I think you need to select the iPad in iTunes and then select “File a Sharing” or similar. Then find viewranger and drag the .gpx there.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2018, 10:47:00 am »
(I usually save as notepad file, but not sure if Mac has an equivalent)

You don't need to associate it with any particular app to save it to your Mac. As Dale says, just click the download button and it will save the file to your Downloads folder. (To find the file on your Mac, open a Finder window and there should be a link to the Downloads folder in the Favourites list on the left side of the window, otherwise from Finder open the Go menu and select Downloads, or use the keyboard shortcut option+command+L)

I then wanna upload to my ipad for walking next week.
Or maybe I can do it 'straight through Viewranger ?

As Kim says, you need to do it via an app, either on desktop or device.

I don't know Viewranger but I've just been looking at it - very interesting. The app does allow you to import files directly1 but you need to have the file saved in your iCloud Drive or in Dropbox (you'll need to link your Dropbox account to the app to allow this).

The default option on OS X these days is for everything on your Mac Desktop to sync to iCloud Drive2, so if you drag the downloaded GPX file from the Downloads folder to the Desktop, it should then appear in the Desktop folder when you select Import File on the Viewranger app. I've just tested this and it works a treat. In order to use the file for navigation, you then have to convert the Track to a Route in the app.

You can also upload the GPX file to your account from your Mac by logging in at viewranger.com and selecting Routes and Tracks > Create a route from GPX

1. Unlike, say, Strava or RidewithGPS, which require you to upload files to your account on your desktop so that you can access them through the mobile app. Thumbs up to Viewranger for this excellent feature.

2. If your Mac isn't set to sync to iCloud Drive, open System Preferences > iCloud, then tick the checkbox next to iCloud Drive. Also click the Options... button next to iCloud Drive and tick the checkbox next to Desktop & Documents Folders.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."