Author Topic: cyclosportives and helmets  (Read 1979 times)

cyclosportives and helmets
« on: 04 February, 2010, 08:35:34 pm »
I have ridden many Audax event, but on Sunday I want to try my first cyclosportive.
I would like to think you have a choice but can anyone confirm if helmet wear is compulsory in these events?
thanks in advance

Martin

Re: cyclosprtives and helmets
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:39:39 pm »
depends entirely on the organiser; I know some require it as a condition of the event insurance but others don't

check the small print in the entry form; if it says "strongly advised" you don't have to

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: cyclosportives and helmets
« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:41:11 pm »
They are nearly always required.  It's one reason that I've never ridden one; otherwise it would be quite fun to burn off a few wannabe racers on a fixie or a 50s clubman.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: cyclosprtives and helmets
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2010, 09:42:07 pm »
depends entirely on the organiser; I know some require it as a condition of the event insurance but others don't

check the small print in the entry form; if it says "strongly advised" you don't have to

Cant see anything on the 'flyer' or on-line. I have sent the org. an email to find out.

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
On the couple I've ridden, wearing a helmet was "recommended".  On both occasions, I turned up without and nobody cared (although it was a hot topic of conversation on the road, second only to my riding in trainers on rat-trap pedals with toeclips).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2010, 09:56:09 pm »
Highly unlikely that a sportive if properly organised will not stipulate compulsory helmet wearing.

My understanding is that British Cycling's rules on "competitive events" require helmets at all times and that has filtered through to responsible sportive organisers.

I have a view .... I also feel quite strongly about people cycling wearing headphones whilst riding (in any format) ... and thus not hearing traffic ... again sportives normally stipulate no headphones.

Rob

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »
They are nearly always required.  It's one reason that I've never ridden one; otherwise it would be quite fun to burn off a few wannabe racers on a fixie or a 50s clubman.

Apart from the helmet issue, I don't know why you are so sniffy about sportives, Roger.  I'm also not sure how many riders you would "burn off" on your 50s clubman.  I've just looked back at the 2009 results for the White Rose Challenge, one of the sportives that I rode last year.  It was a ride of 185km, with 3600metres of climbing.  Of the 295 riders who finished the event, 20 did it in under 7 hours, 98 did it in under 8 hours, 206 did it in under 9 hours and 260 did it in under 10 hours.  That's total time, of course, including stops.  And anyway, so what if you could do it faster than some of the other riders?  Isn't the fact that 295 riders enjoyed a challenging day out in the Yorkshire Dales something to be welcomed, not sneered at?

« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2010, 07:52:43 am »
The support company running my Raid Pyrenean ride have a tick-box on the form 'Will you wear a helmet at all times?' (presumably only when actually riding).  The implications of not ticking it weren't clear, but I assume it was an insurance issue as they do offer tailored insurance for the ride. 

Since I am used to wearing a helmet I did tick the box, but I suspect some of the long ascents may be hot and I'll wish I hadn't.  (I have a fine team Euskatel cap in orange and green for long ascents).

Move Faster and Bake Things

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »
The support company running my Raid Pyrenean ride have a tick-box on the form 'Will you wear a helmet at all times?' (presumably only when actually riding).  The implications of not ticking it weren't clear, but I assume it was an insurance issue as they do offer tailored insurance for the ride. 

Since I am used to wearing a helmet I did tick the box, but I suspect some of the long ascents may be hot and I'll wish I hadn't.  (I have a fine team Euskatel cap in orange and green for long ascents).

istr that helmet wearing when riding a bike on road in Spain outside of towns is compulsary,
except on long ascends

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2010, 04:28:50 pm »

Apart from the helmet issue, I don't know why you are so sniffy about sportives, Roger.  I'm also not sure how many riders you would "burn off" on your 50s clubman.  I've just looked back at the 2009 results for the White Rose Challenge, one of the sportives that I rode last year.  It was a ride of 185km, with 3600metres of climbing.  Of the 295 riders who finished the event, 20 did it in under 7 hours, 98 did it in under 8 hours, 206 did it in under 9 hours and 260 did it in under 10 hours.  That's total time, of course, including stops.  And anyway, so what if you could do it faster than some of the other riders?  Isn't the fact that 295 riders enjoyed a challenging day out in the Yorkshire Dales something to be welcomed, not sneered at?

I don't see how Rogerzilla is being sniffy, just because he wants to have a bit of fun by tring to burn offother riders. I though tha was all oart of the fun of a Sportive. You don't have to rd like that if you don't want to. But I can't see anything wrong with a sporting duel on the highway, as long as nobody does anything dangerous.
You can quite often make friends with someone after you've tried to rip their legs off. I remeber riding a 1000k audax with someone. We raced each other up a very tough climb and it was pretty much a draw allthough I reckon he'd have put some distance into me if he never had his panniers. Once we got our breath back we couldn't stop laughing.