Author Topic: New alcohol taxation regime  (Read 3994 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: New alcohol taxation regime
« Reply #25 on: 05 August, 2023, 11:45:07 am »
I would understand session beer to be in the 3.5% to 4% abv bracket, table beer should be under 3%, preferably closer to 2%.

Have to confess I do have a bit of a taste for the strong stuff - a good 6.5% DIPA, for example. The problem with strong beers is the alcohol needs to be balanced by the hop and malt flavours. Too many of the current hipster brews are a car crash, strong for the sake of it with no balance at all. Often with ridiculous over-sweet additional flavours.

Anything 8% and upwards is just silly.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 05 August, 2023, 11:59:10 am »

Tell that to the Belgians.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #27 on: 05 August, 2023, 12:33:24 pm »
I think the Scots HAVE found that higher booze prices result in lower alcohol consumption.

The WHO provides good evidence to support alcohol taxation as an effective measure to reduce consumption at an overall population level, but there are nuances - the BMJ say it may not be good at protecting those most at risk.

Believe that's what came out of the MUP review here.
Plastic Pack cider disappeared.

As an approach it isn't targeted at addicts, it's targeted at reducing general consumption and pre-loading pre-pub/club.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #28 on: 05 August, 2023, 12:39:22 pm »
My sister is an alcoholic and has at times lots of money (when her benefits are restored with backpay) and no money and it only takes 1 drink to turn her from Dr Jekyll into Mr Hyde as it were anything more is just a bonus in the aggressive obnoxious drunk K state.

Haven't alcohol taxes stayed stable in number terms for years and years cos unpopular?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 05 August, 2023, 12:52:40 pm »
I would understand session beer to be in the 3.5% to 4% abv bracket, table beer should be under 3%, preferably closer to 2%.

Have to confess I do have a bit of a taste for the strong stuff - a good 6.5% DIPA, for example. The problem with strong beers is the alcohol needs to be balanced by the hop and malt flavours. Too many of the current hipster brews are a car crash, strong for the sake of it with no balance at all. Often with ridiculous over-sweet additional flavours.

We used to drink Skol 1080 as students.  8.5%, I think.  Not unpleasant at all.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 12 August, 2023, 03:43:27 pm »
It seems, on a population scale minimum unit pricing has reduced harm in Scotland.
A bit.
https://news.stv.tv/scotland/medical-experts-defend-research-into-minimum-alcohol-pricing

ian

« Reply #31 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:35:09 pm »
It’s univariate though, since if you price people out of alcohol, it doesn’t mean they take up clean living and get a gym membership.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:47:05 pm »
You'd expect the deterrence benefit to be mostly felt in those who are currently children rather than those who are already drinkers. So let's see in 20 years or so.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.