Author Topic: A mole dropped on my head today  (Read 3404 times)

A mole dropped on my head today
« on: 20 August, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »
As it says. I was pootling along a lane, under a couple of trees, and a mole struck me on the head (no, I didn't have a helmet on, falling wildlife isn't common around here).

I think that the clue to the explanation was a noisily flapping away buzzard. I must have disturbed it.

I always understood that moles were especially nasty tasting - maybe that was the reason as well?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: A mole dropped on my head today
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:12:05 pm »
Maybe it wanted to be a dropbear?   :D

spindrift

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:12:26 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:23:55 pm »
Thread title of the year. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:32:46 pm »
Did the mole survive its ordeal?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »
Did the mole survive its ordeal?

No, it was very dead - Buzzard or drop I don't know. I left it there for the Buzzard to return to - I thought that the chances of another 50 or so similar occurences happening so that a waistcoat might be a reasonable possibility were slight at best.

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:55:33 pm »
I have noticed rather a lot of moles above ground this summer, I wonder if it's linked to the weather, with so much rain the ground is waterlogged 

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2012, 11:58:18 pm »
Only mole I've ever seen was walking over upland pasture in the Yorkshire Dales. On detecting us it began to tunnel downwards at about 45 deg - it literally melted through the turf in seconds and disappeared. I stoked its fur once before it disappeared and gave its tail a friendly tweak.  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:11:35 am »
Only mole I've ever seen was walking over upland pasture in the Yorkshire Dales. On detecting us it began to tunnel downwards at about 45 deg - it literally melted through the turf in seconds and disappeared. I stoked its fur once before it disappeared and gave its tail a friendly tweak.  :D

Sounds like molestation to me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »
To add to the thread, a lady I worked with was walking along the street in Caracas when a huge rat dropped on her head.  Like your mole it was dead, but in this case had dropped from an underpass roof where it had been presumably lodged dead.
I myself have never had a rodent land on my head although I have seen many on the ground which might have dropped there - hard to tell.
I once lay on the grass at a rock festival watching gulls flying overhead, somewhat dazed by substance abuse. A lone gull soared like Jonathan Livingstone Seagull I thought.
A moment later I was liberally splattered with about a pint of  the most foul rotting fish stinking gull shit, which must have been released just as I started watching the lovely creature. I had to chuck my clothes in a bin and wore a binbag for the next 24 hrs.
Nature can fall on one at any time.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »
I have noticed rather a lot of moles above ground this summer...
Yes, but the point of this thread is how far above ground?

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #11 on: 22 August, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »
I have noticed rather a lot of moles above ground this summer...
Yes, but the point of this thread is how far above ground?
;D
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #12 on: 22 August, 2012, 05:46:49 pm »
 :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2012, 07:20:16 pm »

Aha - I wondered what situation that picture was for!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2012, 07:51:27 pm »

Aha - I wondered what situation that picture was for!
It's for when moles are at eye height ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #15 on: 22 August, 2012, 11:27:29 pm »
To add to the thread, a lady I worked with was walking along the street in Caracas when a huge rat dropped on her head.  Like your mole it was dead, but in this case had dropped from an underpass roof where it had been presumably lodged dead.
I myself have never had a rodent land on my head although I have seen many on the ground which might have dropped there - hard to tell.
I once lay on the grass at a rock festival watching gulls flying overhead, somewhat dazed by substance abuse. A lone gull soared like Jonathan Livingstone Seagull I thought.
A moment later I was liberally splattered with about a pint of  the most foul rotting fish stinking gull shit, which must have been released just as I started watching the lovely creature. I had to chuck my clothes in a bin and wore a binbag for the next 24 hrs.
Nature can fall on one at any time.

Keep clear of herons, then!  Have you ever seen one of them jettison?  It's astonishing.