Author Topic: Wild swimming  (Read 22428 times)

Re: Wild swimming
« Reply #75 on: 05 January, 2012, 11:31:04 am »
We stayed at a couple of amazing small campsites in Holland last year, each having natural swimming.
One was a smallish pond but with a lovely soft sand base, the other was a rather large fresh water lake. In both it was lovely to see so many children swimming and having fun.
Btw swimming after a day in the saddle is lovely  :)

« Reply #76 on: 05 January, 2012, 02:38:19 pm »
> in a river?
across the Rio Grande, plus assorted others
Which Rio Grande?
The one that forms the Mexico/Texas border, though I swam across it further upstream than that, in Colorado

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #77 on: 05 January, 2012, 03:35:58 pm »
The revival of this thread has reminded me to update my swimming CV.

29th September 2011 - skinny dipping in the river Chelmer! This was the first of 5 days in which the temperature exceeded 80°F in Essex.

3rd October 2011 - skinny dipping at Westcliff sea front. The sun was setting and there was no way anyone could see me beneath the surface. I had my knickers draped on an arm for donning on beaching.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 05 January, 2012, 06:42:45 pm »
> in a river?
across the Rio Grande, plus assorted others
Which Rio Grande?
The one that forms the Mexico/Texas border, though I swam across it further upstream than that, in Colorado
For the avoidance of getting shot!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #79 on: 05 January, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
I missed this thread first time, so:

rivers:
only the Urubamba and the Niger

freshwater lakes:
Loch Valley (overlooked by the Rig of the Jarkness). While I was paddling in Llyn y Fan Fawr and nuncio took a swim, I saw a leech emerge from under a rock.

Small mountain tarn:
No but one day I intend to dip in the small loch on the island on Loch Enoch.

Really cold water:
The coldest was an open-air pool* on a clifftop the north on Madeira. I managed 1 length (about 5 metres) before getting out, running indoors and reviving under a warm shower. I don't think I would have survived another length.

Caves:
no

I don't know what category it comes under, but I did have a moonlit dip in the warm springs at Aguas Calientes, nr Machu Picchu

* I know, I know, not really 'wild'.

During one swim from a fishing boat off the Mauritanian coast I ended up having to be rescued by this boat (on the right)
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #80 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:47:29 pm »
Coming from Sweden, the notion of wild swimming really isn't that odd...

I've swum in the ocean from small islands in the archipelago that have noone living on them, from boats, etc.  At times I've had to use "swimming" to get clean due to a lack of shower facilities on islands.  I think the coldest I've ever been was at camp on Långholmen (not the prison one), where it was about 10 degrees in the air and less than 7 in the water.  The weekend over Easter I was there when it was below freezing in the air and less than +1 in the water, I used baby wipes...

I've swum in small and large ponds and rivers, both in the Stockholm suburbs and in the mountains.  We had a lake not far from where we lived both times round that was a popular unofficial swimming hole...find a good rock and hop in!

As often as not wearing Notalot as it's really not a big deal.

« Reply #81 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:49:17 pm »
I missed it 1st time round, I think.

I'm sure I've done all of the list, including the cave (but can't think where that was). Probably a shallow sea-cave somewhere.

Coldest would have been the Ouse, in winter with ice on the river. Several times - once for recreation (I decided to do a 5mile jog, then shortcut home by swimming across the river - felted wool jumpers are amazingly waterproof).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #82 on: 06 January, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »
Just for clarification - does this include "involuntary" swimming where you find yourself thrown in/falling out of a perfectly serviceable boat?  If so that helps up my count.

in a river?

I've swum in the Thames a few times (not usually voluntarily) as well as a river in the Golan Heights.  There have probably been other but these are the ones that come to mind.

in a large freshwater lake?

There are some great freshwater lakes near Bordeaux that I've swum in.  An inadvertent mouthful of water swallowed mid-lake actually tasted better than the stuff coming out of the campsite taps.

in a small mountain tarn/beck/loch/llyn?

Not that I can think of.

in really cold water?

After parting company with my single scull one February wearing just lycra.  The water can't have been much above freezing and felt so cold it burned.  I was close enough to the edge that swimming for it while towing the boat behind me was the least bad option.

in a rock pool/natural tidal lagoon?

Nope

in a cave?

and no again.

« Reply #83 on: 06 January, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »
Just for clarification - does this include "involuntary" swimming where you find yourself thrown in/falling out of a perfectly serviceable boat?  If so that helps up my count.

in really cold water?

After parting company with my single scull one February wearing just lycra.  The water can't have been much above freezing and felt so cold it burned.  I was close enough to the edge that swimming for it while towing the boat behind me was the least bad option.

+1 for the above, more than once.  Worst was when I was about mile from home (out at Ely) and had to get back in and paddle home into a headwind.  I dont remember my hands and feet ever being that cold.

« Reply #84 on: 06 January, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »
No to most of them, but I once tried a trip through the Little Neath River Cave. There's a bedding plane crawl that's usually half full of water. The water level started to rise, so we abandoned the trip...

I've never been in a cave since.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #85 on: 08 January, 2012, 11:14:08 am »
I managed most of them over Christmas over in Sumatra.  We swam in volcanic lakes (Lake Toba - biggest volcanic lake in the world), rivers in the rainforest (lack of showers made this quite essential), little isolated coves with waterfalls etc., Indian Ocean (warmest sea I have ever swum in, did some great snorkelling as well) - it was all fabulous (and a lot warmer than wild swimming here in the UK!).

I have never swum in a cave mind (the thought is quite scary to me!), and can't recall swimming in a small mountain tarn - though have swum in small lakes in the Alps.

In the buff a few times - standard practice coming out of a club on Brighton sea front in summer! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #86 on: 08 January, 2012, 02:02:55 pm »
All of them I think, but with the exception of the tidal pool, I'd be wearing a drysuit or shorts and drytop.
It's just one of the benefits of white water kayaking.
The coldest was probably in the river Durance in July with an air temp of over 30 degrees. It's in the French alps and at that point is all glacial melt water at about 2 degrees. With such a big temp difference I seem to remember that the effect on ones breathing is called a glottal spasm, you can breath in but not out and it's a bit disconcerting. I won't go into the effect on other parts of ones anatomy, just think of shrivelled walnuts.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #87 on: 08 January, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »
In a river - no
Large freshwater lake - yes in The South of France, which was lovely, and Windermere during the Windermere Challenge, which was hard work and cold.
Loch etc - no but I nearly fell of a boat and into Loch Lomond
Really cold water - see above. I've not done any ice breaking stuff
Lagoon - yes in Iceland
Cave - yes in Cornwall. It was surreal, very calm and very beautiful
Naked - went skinny dipping in the sea when I was a youngster.

« Reply #88 on: 09 January, 2012, 06:39:24 pm »
in a river? Yes lots. Usually after falling out of a kayak but also River Cam 40 some years ago in one of the old swimming pools written up by Roger Deakin in Waterlog

in a large freshwater lake? Yes - several in the Lake District, Lake Garda

in a small mountain tarn/beck/loch/llyn? yes - several in Lake District, the lower lake at Cragside in Northumberland

in really cold water? Yes - glacial streams in the Alps - freezing!
in really warm water? Yes - volcano heated glacial streams emanting from Iceland's ice cap during a ski trip - blood heat in midwinter complete with hot waterfall shower

in a rock pool/natural tidal lagoon? Yes

in a cave? Yes in Yorkshire Dales in caving gear, helmet, light

in the buff? Yes in most of the above except the cave

« Reply #89 on: 12 July, 2014, 01:19:47 pm »
We're just back from a glorious morning swim in the Wharfe, avec dog, in a deep, still pool near Loup Scar at Burnsall. The water wasn't too cold, weather warm, sun shining, fishies nibbling at our feet. I could hardly drag myself out of the water, it was so gorgeously refreshing. And, of course, we followed it up with a hearty breakfast at the tea room. It's been a struggle to find suitable exercise that the health-challenged family members (Woolly and Tilley-dog) could actually do without hurting themselves further. Let's see how they feel later today! In wild swimming we may have found a good solution.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #90 on: 12 July, 2014, 01:22:59 pm »
Here is proof, one of the few moments that Tilley stood still long enough for a picture to be taken.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #91 on: 12 July, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »
In rivers = weil's disease, well it has been in my area there has been two cases this year so be careful.

« Reply #92 on: 18 November, 2019, 07:31:19 pm »
Thread dredge.

... Roger Deakin in Waterlog ...

Currently reading this and really enjoying it.

Evoking many memories of growing up in Cambridge and swimming in the Cam/Granta/Rhee.

As for the original question:-

In a river - every day for many summers growing up, local sport of weir running (running in a big arc down the steep concrete bank, across the 12ft weir and up the steep concrete bank the other side)
Large freshwater lake - yes, been on week long swimming holidays with wife/daughter to Lake Annecy the last couple of years, also have done Swim Serpentine the last 3 years
Loch/tarn/llyn etc - yes, scouts camping in Wales
Really cold water - Sea swimming at about 8 deg in April plus also a short bit of swimming during Tough Guy (wading through waist deep water and having to duck under a log and be completely submerged in 5 deg C water, oof)
Tidal Lagoon / rock pool - many places but the natural pool at Treyarnon Bay in Cornwall is a favourite, saw some people in there (no wetsuits) this weekend just gone
Cave - nope, don't get claustrophobia anywhere else except caves, no chance
Naked - plenty of skinny dipping when younger

What brought me to yacf to search for Waterlog / Roger Deakin was the passage:-

"
Swimming without a roof over your head is now a mildly subversive activity, like having an allotment, insisting on your right to walk a footpath, or riding a bicycle.
"

Haven't reached the allotment stage, yet.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #93 on: 18 November, 2019, 07:52:28 pm »
Slight OT but I'm assuming if you've read waterlog then your aware of notes from walnut tree cottage and wildwood. If not get them on your Christmas list sharpish