Author Topic: hnadle grips bodge fail  (Read 3101 times)

hnadle grips bodge fail
« on: 08 July, 2010, 03:12:30 pm »
The hadle bar grips on my mountain bike drive me mad because they rotate on the bars.
I'm planning to get some lock on ones, so in the meantime I have some old bar tape for drop handle bars and decided to double wrap the bars and see what it's like to ride with.

The answer is awful. Hot palms, sore hands. Essentially not good.

So I'll be trying with the original grips and some contact cement next!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: hnadle grips bodge fail
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »
Isopropyl alcohol is my magic solution to all things grip-related.  It can be used as a lubricant to get them on and off (best trick there is to use an aerosol can of the stuff, designed for cleaning electronics, and squirt it under the prised-up-with-a-screwdriver end of the grip, then massage it around until the whole thing is loose), but should also do a good job of cleaning away any oily or otherwise gunk that may be acting as a lubricant.  It'll evaporate completely in a couple of hours, hopefully leaving the grip solidly in place.

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2010, 03:22:35 pm »
Hairspray is also said to be good for this, as it leaves a tacky residue. Not tried it myself, though.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »
Yep, hairspray works. Lubricates the grips when you slide them on, then dries to a sticky finish.
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2010, 05:49:50 pm »
Yep, hairspray. Works a treat

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:06:10 pm »
Another vote for hairspray, sticking something down one end can open it up enough to do it in situ if need be.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-oMeAkVAn4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/m-oMeAkVAn4&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »
Yeah, but it seems daft to go out and buy a can of hairspray just to jibble your handlebar grips, whereas everyone has some contact cleaner lying around.   ;)

And besides, hairspray makes me sneeze.  Jack Putter style.

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2010, 10:49:58 pm »
Yeah, but it seems daft to go out and buy a can of hairspray just to jibble your handlebar grips

Obviously for those of you who have no need of hairspray in the normal run of things but for the rest of us................................
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2010, 11:05:43 pm »
Yeah, but it seems daft to go out and buy a can of hairspray just to jibble your handlebar grips, whereas everyone has some contact cleaner lying around.   ;)

Probably doesn't surprise you my dad has a can lurking around? He bought it to spray on dandelion clocks in the hopes of preventing the seeds flying all over the garden. Hasn't tried it yet, but it worked a treat on the handlebars. :D

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:46:35 pm »
Another hairspray vote.  If used with sponge grips, some very hot (almost boiling) water poured over the grips will loosen them off for easy removal. ;D
Old enough to know better!