Author Topic: Joining tracks in Basecamp  (Read 1549 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Joining tracks in Basecamp
« on: 15 June, 2019, 06:11:22 pm »
I'm trying to link together all the tracks from my Lôn Las Cymru. I'm using Basecamp 4.7.0. I know there are later versions but I seem to remember that there's a problem (can't recall what...) with later ones so I haven't upgraded.

There's an option for joining tracks together but it's greyed out, and I don't seem to be able to highlight two tracks at once.

I could always to it the long way using Textwrangler, but if someone can give me some pointers I'd greatly appreciate it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Phil W

Re: Joining tracks in Basecamp
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2019, 06:13:24 pm »
Click on the first track in the window on the left. As you click further tracks hold the Ctrl key down at same time. Then when all selected join them together.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2019, 06:19:33 pm »
Doesn't seem to work. I'm using a Mac. Would that make a difference? I hold down CTRL and click, and it just selects a different track.

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2019, 06:24:41 pm »
Yes try the cmd key on a Mac

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2019, 06:48:10 pm »
I've tried all the combinations I can think of, without success. I think it's over to Textwrangler...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2019, 09:30:27 pm »
A Track has a direction - a start and an end.  You can only join an end to a start - you can't join a start to a start or an end to an end.

I've never used Basecamp but assuming it is similar to Mapsource:
Click on the first track in the window on the left. As you click further tracks hold the Ctrl key down at same time. Then when all selected join them together.

This only works as long as the Tracks in the list are lined up nose to tail.  If one or more are lined up nose to nose or tail to tail they will not be joinable using this method.  If you know which individual Track is causing the problem, you can select it and 'Properties' and 'Invert' to reverse its direction.

Easier ( I find) is to use the map and the Track Draw Tool 'Track Join'. 
(NB in Mapsource, the Track Tools are not apparent, in the default installation - you can make them visible in the toolbar - View, Show Toolbbars - or you can find them in the 'Tools' drop-down menu anyway)
Now, with your first Track visible on the map, select it, now choose 'Track Join' and a line will be attached to the 'tail' end of the Track -
you can click on any other visible Track on the map to make the join, which will be previewed as you hover before you click.  Any nose/nose or tail/tail problems become very obvious using this method, because the join line will try to attach to the 'wrong' end of the Track..
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2019, 06:41:34 pm »
I don't think I have ever used Mapsource.

Textwrangler came to the rescue:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://peter.chesspod.com/routes/lonlascymru.gpx