Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 152854 times)

Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #125 on: 20 November, 2016, 10:40:25 pm »
That sounds great.  Which Steve?

Steve Gee of the above CB radio fame. Who else? I can never remember his yacf handle.

« Reply #126 on: 21 November, 2016, 12:18:00 am »
Right - I wondered if it might be Steve GT.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #127 on: 21 November, 2016, 01:13:22 am »
Bloody hell, pat - you're phlegmatic!  Look after yourself.

Peter

Ta

I hide it well - If I ever catch up with him I'll teach him about the passion of Vlad ČšepeČ™.
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #128 on: 21 November, 2016, 10:40:17 am »
Will he get the point?

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #129 on: 21 November, 2016, 11:56:08 am »
That sounds great.  Which Steve?

Steve Gee of the above CB radio fame. Who else? I can never remember his yacf handle.

Me!! this handle, nothing to do with CB radio, it was a 70cm/2m dual band handheld I brought out once  :facepalm:

I liked that route (yes even the comedy off road, which was ..er.. comicle, for me anyway) I slid home on the progressively icing roads and through freezing fog and relaxed with a few carb recovery drinks (8% abv) until the blood decided to go back into my feet!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

« Reply #130 on: 24 November, 2016, 02:00:19 pm »
I have done a couple of mandatory gps diys lately.

I really like being able to plan a meandering route without having to fret about shortest distance between controls.

IMHO mandatory has for me made diys safer and more enjoyable as previously I did long sections on busy A roads to keep the distance down .Now I take the pretty and more relaxed routes .

Did one yesterday .Only 1 km from the start in Magor came to a road closure but it was easy to avoid and final mileage came out ok so was accepted by the org.(thank you).

I enjoyed a day wandering up the River Severn via lanes and used Mark Rigbys route through Gloucester which is brilliant in avoiding traffic and takes you right past the cathedral grounds and other points of interest.

Above Gloucester did a loop around Sandhurst then a second loop out through Corse Lawn before lunch in the Royal hop pole followed by another similar meander home.

On crossing back over the Severn bridge the NEly wind was getting strong and pushed me the last 20kms in fine style, who needs banned substances when wind is available?

« Reply #131 on: 24 November, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »
Nice one Banjo. Not entirely sure of your route, but have a fair idea. As you've pointed-out in that part of the world a mandatory route makes absolute sense. It's gives you freedom to utilise some very pleasant minor roads. Otherwise it becomes A-road misery for large periods of time. The little loop out of Gloucester via Sandhurst is a gem, you miss the A40/A38 roundabout, which at peak times can be a bind. I know there's an opportunity to "island-hop" on both the west & east side of the roundabout for those of a more cautious nature, but I always leave Gloucester via Sandhurst.

I have done a couple of mandatory gps diys lately.

I really like being able to plan a meandering route without having to fret about shortest distance between controls.

IMHO mandatory has for me made diys safer and more enjoyable as previously I did long sections on busy A roads to keep the distance down .Now I take the pretty and more relaxed routes .

Did one yesterday .Only 1 km from the start in Magor came to a road closure but it was easy to avoid and final mileage came out ok so was accepted by the org.(thank you).

I enjoyed a day wandering up the River Severn via lanes and used Mark Rigbys route through Gloucester which is brilliant in avoiding traffic and takes you right past the cathedral grounds and other points of interest.

Above Gloucester did a loop around Sandhurst then a second loop out through Corse Lawn before lunch in the Royal hop pole followed by another similar meander home.

On crossing back over the Severn bridge the NEly wind was getting strong and pushed me the last 20kms in fine style, who needs banned substances when wind is available?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #132 on: 25 November, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »
Cheers Black sheep
My gps doesn't work well in built up areas and seemed to want me to ride straight into the open Cathedral doors. Unbelievably for a second I caught myself considering it .  If arrested I could have blamed you  ;D  .

The mandatory route system has opened up South Wales for DIY in a similar way. My previous attempts on the old system usually involved unpleasant amounts of time on the A48 .

« Reply #133 on: 25 November, 2016, 11:51:21 pm »
Second test ride of the forthcoming brevet unpopulaire, coming soon to an audax calendar near you.

Behold the ridiculous elevation profile: https://www.strava.com/activities/785326300

Graeme wanted to call it Lion and Lamb, as we go to the Lion Inn, and we could probably find another pub called the Lamb. I only remembered this while riding along Lamb Lane, but there is a blend of sweetness and ferocity about the route which would suit the name. Hellish, unridable climbs and steep descents mixed with heavenly upland tracks and deserted roads.

Also, it was as perfect a day for cycling as you can get in November.

« Reply #134 on: 26 November, 2016, 02:01:48 am »
We've got a few 100s over here (South Pennines) with AAA of over 2 but I doubt if any of them are as hard as this looks!  Is that long drag Ingleby Incline?  And have you got a bit of the Lyke Wake Walk in after Blakey Ridge?  It all looks great!

Peter

« Reply #135 on: 26 November, 2016, 08:59:32 am »
Looks great Deano - wished I'd been able to do the Blakely Ridge - Ingleby Incline track back in July.  More appropriate bike going to NYM next year!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #136 on: 26 November, 2016, 11:04:48 am »
Yes and no, I walked the bike down to the main road in the freezing fog to find that covered in a sheet of ice too, so returned home, it's still below zero now so decided discretion is the better part of valour. Ah well.

« Reply #137 on: 26 November, 2016, 11:06:15 am »
Good call, Si.

« Reply #138 on: 26 November, 2016, 12:26:36 pm »
Yeah, wise choice if it's owt like here - I just went to clean my bike, and the washing up bowl in the yard still has a half inch of ice on it.

« Reply #139 on: 26 November, 2016, 12:33:17 pm »
We've got a few 100s over here (South Pennines) with AAA of over 2 but I doubt if any of them are as hard as this looks!  Is that long drag Ingleby Incline?  And have you got a bit of the Lyke Wake Walk in after Blakey Ridge?  It all looks great!

Peter

Ingleby Incline is the bit that looks like a wall - there aren't that many hills with a profile like that. It's worth it for the 9 miles of blissful riding across the watershed to the Lion, though.

I don't think it'll get that many AAAs, but the roughness makes up for it!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #140 on: 26 November, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »
Is that going to be a 100 km out of NTR?

« Reply #141 on: 26 November, 2016, 01:20:33 pm »
Hopefully Newby Wiske, Northallerton if not.

You have a cross bike, right? Or you could just use your Pompino (I did!)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #142 on: 26 November, 2016, 01:28:25 pm »
Sounds good  :thumbsup:

On the subject of Pompinos, a friend just got a frame in the PX auction.  I got the pleasure of telling him what it meant  :smug:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #143 on: 26 November, 2016, 03:56:17 pm »
Yes and no, I walked the bike down to the main road in the freezing fog to find that covered in a sheet of ice too, so returned home, it's still below zero now so decided discretion is the better part of valour. Ah well.

So nothing to do with the copious quantity of alcohol consumed last night then?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #144 on: 26 November, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »

So nothing to do with the copious quantity of alcohol consumed last night then?

I was pretty good at 7 am this morning having made the train on time, I only had 2 beers and a couple of jd's, you had a 4 hour head start if you recall, which I suspect you don't  :demon:

« Reply #145 on: 26 November, 2016, 05:34:48 pm »
Second test ride of the forthcoming brevet unpopulaire, coming soon to an audax calendar near you.

I'm up for this, if it doesn't clash with owt. Got a date planned for it yet?

« Reply #146 on: 26 November, 2016, 09:35:07 pm »
Saturday 29th of April, pending approval from TPTB. It's a week after the Dirty Reiver so as not to clash (this matters to at least one prospective rider).

« Reply #147 on: 26 November, 2016, 10:51:48 pm »
Did a short (100K) AAA DIY with a friend who wants to complete his Grimpeurs De Sud this year. Cold as balls when we set off but warmed up to a balmy 6c later on.

All in all 150K door to door with 2,200m so worth getting out of bed for.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #148 on: 27 November, 2016, 11:05:54 am »
Rode out to Lambourn from London along the Thames valley on IDDU's new EWE Baa 200km perm, aided and abetted by Mattc who joined me midway. Clear skies, low wind and single digit temps (oC) made a grand winter ride. I tend to overdress when the weather is cold but got things about right for once, two layers of merino plus longs being just enough to keep the chill off.  Mostly flattish so a chance to work on spinning a larger gear. I get the feeling this will be a useful 'reference' ride... be interesting to see how things are going when things start to warm up in the spring.

« Reply #149 on: 27 November, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »
Rode out to Lambourn from London along the Thames valley on IDDU's new EWE Baa 200km perm, aided and abetted by Mattc who joined me midway. Clear skies, low wind and single digit temps (oC) made a grand winter ride. I tend to overdress when the weather is cold but got things about right for once, two layers of merino plus longs being just enough to keep the chill off.  Mostly flattish so a chance to work on spinning a larger gear. I get the feeling this will be a useful 'reference' ride... be interesting to see how things are going when things start to warm up in the spring.

I have been thinking of doing the Ewe Bah starting at the other end. Bearing in mind I live in a welsh town and ride mostly rural routes how do you think the London end would be for me?   probably ride on a weekday.