Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930268 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #21525 on: 03 April, 2019, 03:22:16 pm »
Go outdoors you devious bastards

I find what I want, available to collect nearby at several stores in 3 days or for home delivery, find it cheaper online so do the price match thing, price match confirmed - cheaper price less 10%.

Go to order, size is now collect only, no delivery and the only store it'll let me collect from is 132 miles away.

Bollocks to you, ordered from the other place and I've taken the LED lenser MH6 out the basket and ordered direct from them and get a free K3 torch.

One customer down for good, I prefer outdoor action anyhow.

« Reply #21526 on: 03 April, 2019, 08:29:59 pm »
That sounds like a trading standards issue to me.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21527 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:14:27 am »
I reckon NTS have got better things to do, go outdoors have had a shirty email, I only use them because they're nearby. As I say I prefer outdoor action in Blackburn, the shop is a 4 storey Aladdin's cave and the staff are great, it's a bit of a schlep over there but the biggest problem is my wallet has a heart attack every time set foot in the place. I've used their delivery as well.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #21528 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:37:55 am »
There may be a setting in the email program to silence alerts as well.

:thumbsup:

The alert for my messages is "Captain, incoming message" in the voice of Mr. Worf.
If anyone else is sad enough to fancy a touch of Star Trek, it's not a big file to send.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #21529 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:39:37 am »
It’s very difficult to get an appointment at my doctor’s surgery wellness clinic. This is because, amongst other things, their phone is permanently engaged.

Then why, when they send off a sample of your blood for testing by the NHS Minions in their blood-testing factory, do they not send you a text, or give you a quick call to let you know that your results are back?

Oh no. A much better system is for everyone to keep polling them by phone, when they can actually get through, thus ensuring that anyone who needs to book an appointment can’t get through.

And while I’m having a doctor’s surgery wellness clinic rant, they have this touchscreen system for you to confirm your arrival if you ever do manage to get an appointment. Good idea I thought, until realising that there was no bottle of hand sanitiser available to kill the nasties left by the 10,000 germ-ridden appointment lottery winners who have used it before you.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #21530 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:48:26 am »
There may be a setting in the email program to silence alerts as well.

:thumbsup:

The alert for my messages is "Captain, incoming message" in the voice of Mr. Worf.
If anyone else is sad enough to fancy a touch of Star Trek, it's not a big file to send.

Go on then; I feel like being annoying in the office :demon: . I'll PM you....

« Reply #21531 on: 04 April, 2019, 10:29:29 am »
Back in the day I had a full suite of Babylon 5 noises. Doors opening for windows, that kind of thing.

And I wonder my kids are all fucked up.  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21532 on: 04 April, 2019, 10:55:35 am »
It’s very difficult to get an appointment at my doctor’s surgery wellness clinic. This is because, amongst other things, their phone is permanently engaged.

Then why, when they send off a sample of your blood for testing by the NHS Minions in their blood-testing factory, do they not send you a text, or give you a quick call to let you know that your results are back?

Oh no. A much better system is for everyone to keep polling them by phone, when they can actually get through, thus ensuring that anyone who needs to book an appointment can’t get through.

Ah. When I need to give a blood sample I leave a message on the district nurse's voicemail to say when I'd like someone to drop round - any time between 5 am and 11 pm - then someone arrives, takes the blood and sends it off. 24 to 48 hours later I get the results in the post. The doc gets his copy on line. If anything's unwhacked I call his surgery and set something up - he has a couple of real humans to do this - otherwise we just carry on as usual.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21533 on: 04 April, 2019, 11:18:10 am »
Back in the day I had a full suite of Babylon 5 noises. Doors opening for windows, that kind of thing.

And I wonder my kids are all fucked up.  ;D

I stopped using Bad Moon On the Rise as my ringtone when it went off in a client's office at the desk I was occupying while I was not there, but in earshot  :-[

These days my phone makes no noise for alerts, pinging every time woudl annoy th ecrap out of me, let alone everyone else
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21534 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:28:35 pm »
My phone ringtone is a lightly edited version of They Might Be Giants singing about how the NSA are listening to the call.  This seems appropriate enough, in that its main function is preventing me from ignoring a generic phone ring noise because that can't be mine because I never get phone calls.

My SMS notification is a USR modem handshaking at 28.8kbps.  This causes amusing double-takes from people in their mid-30s upwards, and has a broad enough spectrum that I can sometimes hear it through wind noise when riding my bike.  My email and IRC alerts are generic android alert noises, and my twitter alert once had Wowbagger wondering what bird that was.

My computer doesn't have speakers connected (I use headphones when I actually want to listen to something, or subtitles - or rant about the lack thereof - if it's just a short video).  It occasionally beeps the PC speaker to get my attention to something important.

We have an alerting system that augments coded flashing lights with various comedy sounds to indicate household events:  Rod Hull singing about there being somebody at the door[1]; Elmo singing about loving trash when the bot reminds us that it's bin night; a Lemming saying "Ohno!" when the power fails, and so on.  The phone ring is a Trimphone in a range of fucking cadences, and the toast alarm is a sturdy klaxon.

I really want to use a sample of Big Clive saying "One moment, please..."[2] for something, but I've yet to work out what.

[1] This one has an even narrower age range than the dialup handshake.
[2] This usually precedes him pausing the video in order to apply Unreasonable Force to something that's been glued shut by the manufacturers

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #21535 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:32:57 pm »
Toilet paper running out. You know it makes sense.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #21536 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:50:17 pm »
Toilet paper running out. You know it makes sense.

Nah. That one needs to be signalled by "I am the Great Cornholio!"  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

« Reply #21537 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:48:13 pm »
I work on the basis that I'll check emails and messages at some point, or if its important enough theyll call back.  I strictly ignore calls in the car or on the bike, because.

As for toast, kettle etc, I'm normally stood right there and am lucky enough not to  have sensory reduction, yet.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21538 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:24:21 pm »
Yeahbut a handy secondary feature of a toast alarm is that it can wake you up in the night if your poorly discarded smoking materials, local fash, or Cheap Shitty Pink USB Charger From China decide to set the house on fire...

ElyDave

« Reply #21539 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:29:03 pm »
We have three of those "toast alarms", they were tested last week by Mrs ED, I thought you meant an actual Kim designed alarm that says " your toast is ready"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21540 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:55:03 pm »
We have three of those "toast alarms", they were tested last week by Mrs ED, I thought you meant an actual Kim designed alarm that says " your toast is ready"

Well I've got one of those too, ostensibly to detect an unlit gas hob, but it also serves as a surprisingly sensitive hot bread and general solvents alarm.   ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21541 on: 11 April, 2019, 11:34:03 am »
Feckin' ad sales people. They're worse than estate agents...

Thanks to our ad sales manager lying to her client and making a promise it's impossible to keep (because it conflicts with promises made to other clients), I have a page that's long overdue being sent to the printer but I can't because we have a Brexit-style deadlock over what the page should look like.

Still, at least it's only one page in an inconsequential magazine, not an international trading agreement worth billions of pounds.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21542 on: 19 April, 2019, 12:27:30 pm »
Bloody government. It’s the 21st century, the world operates online and business spend shedloads of money to get you to use their online systems because it’s so much cheaper for them. The government however charge you more for paying for your car tax online regardless of how you decide to pay. The online premium seems to be £5. Well, sod them, I’ve got time so I’m going to pay at the post office and the government can pay them for the privilege. As a bonus I’ll be supporting a local trader and add to the viability of the local post office.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #21543 on: 19 April, 2019, 12:32:47 pm »
Make sure you pay by cheque as well, that costs them more to process.
 ;D

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #21544 on: 19 April, 2019, 12:50:03 pm »
Bloody government. It’s the 21st century, the world operates online and business spend shedloads of money to get you to use their online systems because it’s so much cheaper for them. The government however charge you more for paying for your car tax online regardless of how you decide to pay. The online premium seems to be £5. Well, sod them, I’ve got time so I’m going to pay at the post office and the government can pay them for the privilege. As a bonus I’ll be supporting a local trader and add to the viability of the local post office.

Mine is exactly the same price however I pay it... ;D
Wombat

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21545 on: 19 April, 2019, 01:05:49 pm »
Ours too - zero. ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21546 on: 21 April, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »
I've just finished the last mass of Easter weekend, and was looking forward to a few hours of quiet relaxation after a busy week with the choir. Why did my next door neighbour have to decide that now is exactly the right time to work on his Corvette? Whatever he's doing seems to involve lots of starting and revving the noisy thing in such a way that my entire house vibrates? >:(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #21547 on: 21 April, 2019, 04:25:10 pm »
It's a beautiful sunny Easter Sunday, the sort of day when all anyone wants to do is open a can of something cold and relax in their garden. Except for the people next-door-but-one, who have felt an irresistible urge to make a bonfire of all those grass cuttings they're been hoarding for a few weeks. What is it with some people? ???

« Reply #21548 on: 05 May, 2019, 12:04:38 pm »
I've just spent 20 minutes in Lewisham Police Station obtaining a crime number for the theft of the catalytic converter and part of the exhaust from my Mum's Prius which was parked outside my house. Meaning that I won't be able to take her to church (silver linings, and all that) but, more importantly, replacing the exhaust on a 17 year old Prius will render the car an insurance write off. Gah! Utter fuckers!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21549 on: 07 May, 2019, 10:33:31 am »
Fuck you, Google.

One of my regular tasks at work is downloading jpeg images from an online server. Locate image, right-click, save as... job done.

Except now Google has decided it won't let me download the images as jpegs. Apparently, I have to download them as Google's proprietary webp format. Apparently, this is sooooo much better than jpeg because it makes the images much smaller. Whoop-de-fucking-doo.

Look here, you arrogant motherfuckers, don't you dare tell me you're doing me a favour and don't you dare tell me how to do my job. I need the images at their original resolution and quality because they're for use in print. Also I need jpegs because webp isn't compatible with Indesign.

So like I said, fuck you, Google.

Back to Safari it is...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."