Author Topic: [HAMR] AUK DIY fee waive  (Read 3672 times)

[HAMR] AUK DIY fee waive
« on: 03 January, 2015, 05:53:41 pm »
Just a thought. Might AUK waive DIY fees for Steve to enter his rides should he want to?

I'd consider it a worthwhile use of £1500 of Auk surplus funds, for Steve to break an Auk record regardless of whether he manages the TG record.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: AUK DIY fee waive
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:00:58 pm »
Seems like a lot of extra work each morning to enter the day's ride, and takes away a lot of flexibility (i.e. for changes in weather or mechanicals).

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:03:50 pm »
That is a decision for Steve, and he's hardly a slacker, no? Entering a Diy is a 3 minute job.

Its just a thought.

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:52:22 pm »
Not every bike ride is an audax, however long it is.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2015, 08:58:14 pm »
So at say 3 points per day he'd amass 1,095 points. But still not be points champion as more than 50% of his points would be DIY's.
Mojo is being awakened.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »
No way is Steve going to start entering DIYs -- just not going to happen.

He rides , we support ( all of us -- not just the team ) .

Far too much else to make sure all OK - the tracking and satisfying UCMA  rules - absolutely essential -- each day has to be uploaded for verification within 24 hours -- and the tracker is to allow them to do a spot check -- has he got a helmet on , is he complying with their "odd" reflectives on the bike rules , is he running full lights in "foggy " conditions etc etc.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:29:49 pm »
He could fill in a Mileater diary, if he wanted an 'official' Audax UK award.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:06:36 pm »
Not every bike ride is an audax, however long it is.
^^^^ This
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:09:58 pm »
 ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:39:07 pm »
It's rules that count!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2015, 07:53:20 am »
What Steve is doing is bigger, better, way more impressive than our little niche thing, audax. I think making his achievements fit into the mould of audax would lessen them.
AUK should be right behind him, what he's doing is bang on target for their mission statement. Riding DIYs is a complete irrelevance.

« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:16:47 am »
What Steve is doing is bigger, better, way more impressive than our little niche thing, audax.

^^ This
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:39:15 am »
What Steve is doing is bigger, better, way more impressive than our little niche thing, audax. I think making his achievements fit into the mould of audax would lessen them.
AUK should be right behind him, what he's doing is bang on target for their mission statement. Riding DIYs is a complete irrelevance.

Right, so should be supported by Audax UK because it is absolutely in line with their 'mission statement', which one presumes is entirely about audax, but at the same time is an absolute irrelevance.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Got it.

But, as per every post I've made on this thread, it is just a thought and its for Steve to decide what he wants it to be about. If he isn't interested it isn't an issue.

« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:43:34 am »
I don't think anyone was having a go at you Flaatus me old chum even though the idea's not met with universal approval.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2015, 08:55:36 am »
Right, so should be supported by Audax UK because it is absolutely in line with their 'mission statement',  which one presumes is entirely about audax , but at the same time is an absolute irrelevance.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Got it.
My bold, obv.

It's not. I know . For its members, AUK is entirely about audax. But it's mission statement is actually something along the lines of "to promote and encourage long distance cycling in all forms". 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:03:59 am »
Steve discussed this very point with his team last year and didn't want the limitation of having a fixed direction to ride for the day. Even when he is scheduled to stay with somebody that evening, he wants the freedom of being able to change his mind/ route/ destination to suit circumstances/ his body/ weather/ mechanical problems/ etc.

Having an Audax-based schedule and route for too much of the year imposes an additional mental commitment that he doesn't think would help him achieve the main target. Don't forget that Steve would have given up (and may still do so) the option of riding PBP15 if needed, despite his long-term aim of finishing 10 x PBP (halfway there so far). PBP is important to Steve but not more important than the record. He has done the 'collecting AUK perm points', he doesn't need to do so this year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:12:18 am »
I think that if he makes it we should commission a StARtY badge. A one off Steve Abraham Round the Year badge to recognise his achievement.

lets be honest with ourselves, rules, mission statements, trophies and records all pale in the presence of a lovely cloth badge.

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:23:01 am »

The AUK board is right behind Steve. That's why I spent three days setting up and monitoring our mailshot, including three hours on Christmas Day.

It's also why FF is busily coding stuff into our entry system and the board and its delegates are busy working out a new way to raise funds.

It's also why the publications team have given Steve a major splash in the next Arrivée and the new website team have allocated an editor to write about him regularly.

The AUK membership is also clearly behind Steve, which is why the overwhelming majority of his funding has come from individual donations.

BTW AUK no longer has a mission statement. The board ditched the strategy in January 2014.

« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2015, 10:39:18 am »
Steve discussed this very point with his team .....

Thanks Dave. A definitive response.

« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:09:26 am »
Steve discussed this very point with his team last year and didn't want the limitation of having a fixed direction to ride for the day. Even when he is scheduled to stay with somebody that evening, he wants the freedom of being able to change his mind/ route/ destination to suit circumstances/ his body/ weather/ mechanical problems/ etc.

It may seem like a small freedom within the confines of a grueling structure but it's huge in other ways, and it's really essential he has those options IMO. For it to be otherwise can only create unnecessary stress for him. It suits the person anyway. History shows how extraordinarily self-motivated he is, and all that experience of body, mind states, weather, roads, cafes, terrain etc, all come into play now.
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 04 January, 2015, 02:47:38 pm »
BTW AUK no longer has a mission statement. The board ditched the strategy in January 2014.

And a Good Thing too.  Mission Statements are the jbex of :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime