Author Topic: Free maps for Garmin  (Read 191038 times)

simonp

Re: Free maps for Garmin
« Reply #50 on: 03 January, 2009, 05:43:34 pm »
Can OSM maps be routed in MapSource?  When will Audax UK start allowing OSM for calculating control distances?  :demon:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #51 on: 03 January, 2009, 05:48:49 pm »
Is mapsource free - or do you have to buy a map to get it?
The application comes with Garmin GPS units (it's called trip & waypoint viewer).  I think you can view and work with maps in that.

No, I'm afraid not.  That's why its called what it is.  Even if you can view maps, it certainly won't upload them.  Mapsource effectively works as an 'upgrade' to T&WM to add map functionality.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 03 January, 2009, 06:06:35 pm »
Damn.  Time to get coding then on a free replacement.  Which will work on Linux too.

inc

« Reply #53 on: 03 January, 2009, 06:32:03 pm »
Damn.  Time to get coding then on a free replacement.  Which will work on Linux too.

There already is,  http://qlandkarte.sourceforge.net/  this link says it is dead, well actually superseded but it works fine until the ( much improved)  GT & M  versions have binaries  available. Also allows upload/download and is a direct  Linux replacement for Mapsource.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #54 on: 03 January, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »
Threadjack: Ooh, there's an object tag for CCTV: man_made=surveillance. :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

simonp

« Reply #55 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:11:03 pm »

There already is,  http://qlandkarte.sourceforge.net/  this link says it is dead, well actually superseded but it works fine until the ( much improved)  GT & M  versions have binaries  available. Also allows upload/download and is a direct  Linux replacement for Mapsource.

qlandkarte appears to have an ubuntu package in Hardy already.  Another reason to use Windows bites the dust.  :thumbsup:

inc

« Reply #56 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:32:26 pm »

qlandkarte appears to have an ubuntu package in Hardy already.  Another reason to use Windows bites the dust.  :thumbsup:

A lot of the Linux gps applications needing  usb are tending now to use the gpsbable code as described here
www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html  instead of the garmin_gps serial emulator 'ttyUSB0 . I use Debian and and had mixed results until I did the mod. Ubuntu may have sorted this out already, as described in the link.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #57 on: 03 January, 2009, 08:46:27 pm »
I've just spent hours trying to compile a munged map from what I thought were tile files.  They were bloomin' VERSIONS, which explains:

1) Why they kept getting bigger with bigger numbers
2) Why they bricked my GPS spectacularly
3) Why there was no tile map for them!

*facepalm*

Interesting that the Garmin UK Topo is 600mb and the OSM 'topo' (taking the SMC contours and OSM UK together) is 164Mb.  Lots of ground features to add!
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #58 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:07:54 pm »
Really chuffed to see so many appreciative comments on OSM - makes it all worthwhile. Even though I've been involved with the project since the year dot (well, since 2004) every time I look at a new area I'm impressed with the rate at which people are mapping places these days.

We're just back from two days on NCN4 in South Wales (with GPS, natch) and OSM was spot on in both Swansea and Cardiff. (If I'd have thought to search for the hotel on OSM first it'd have saved half an hour of schlepping around the docks in the freezing cold, mutter mutter...) Newport could still do with a bit of mapping love - mind you it could do with a bit more NCN love too.

A few people have recently cracked the secret of making routable Garmin maps from OSM data, so you can use it as a cycling "satnav" too, should you really want to. As yet I don't believe this has been combined with the cycle-friendly stylesheet but I'm sure it won't be long.
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #59 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:39:36 pm »
Just been filling in some gaps locally as a first effort with OSM. A few more roads to go and then I can explore the minor roads and tracks. An excuse for lots of new routes to work.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #60 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:42:10 pm »
Ooh, there's a version for the Nokia tablet.  Sweet.

zzpza

« Reply #61 on: 03 January, 2009, 10:54:00 pm »
Really chuffed to see so many appreciative comments on OSM - makes it all worthwhile.

And thank you very much, it is appreciated.  :thumbsup:  8) :thumbsup:

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #62 on: 04 January, 2009, 12:52:41 am »
Really chuffed to see so many appreciative comments on OSM - makes it all worthwhile.

And thank you very much, it is appreciated.  :thumbsup:  8) :thumbsup:

100% agreed. OSM seems to me, to be one of the best/most important community projects on the internet. On the basis of this thread, I am planning to buy a new GPS Unit (current one is old clunky and hard to use) for cycling, and OSM updates. (There are still a few additions needed in my area)

tonycollinet

« Reply #63 on: 04 January, 2009, 02:09:13 am »
Damnit - I knew that would happen.

I've just gone and ordered an Oregon 300  ;D ;D :thumbsup:

zzpza

« Reply #64 on: 04 January, 2009, 02:52:23 am »

oops, did your mouse slip and accidentally add it to your basket, click 'checkout' and then enter your credit card details? they should really do something about that. ....it happens to me all the time.  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #65 on: 04 January, 2009, 03:15:11 am »
I've fixed the road names in our village - goodness knows where they got some of them from.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tonycollinet

« Reply #66 on: 04 January, 2009, 03:39:15 am »

oops, did your mouse slip and accidentally add it to your basket, click 'checkout' and then enter your credit card details? they should really do something about that. ....it happens to me all the time.  ;)

It happened exactly that way - how did you know.

AND WHY AM I NOT IN BED YET!!! >:(

David Martin

« Reply #67 on: 04 January, 2009, 08:46:52 am »
Dammit.. Just checked the roads in Glen Isla - or lack of them. And most of Blairgowrie, and all of Alyth are missing.

Looks like a lot of riding to do.

..d

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #68 on: 04 January, 2009, 12:30:37 pm »
...and my Sunday run is going to take in a couple of footpaths that I know need to be added...

cheadle hulme

« Reply #69 on: 04 January, 2009, 12:40:46 pm »

I had a play around today and have managed to get the South East of England onto my Garmin Etrex Vista C (old model with 24mb internal memory).  Here's what I had to do (there may be short cuts I've missed);

1. Download Sendmap20 and unzip it into a directory, from http://cgpsmapper.com/download/sendmap20.zip

2. Use this site to select the map tiles you need Coordinate-To-OSM-Tile - this also gives you a command line for later use.

3. Download (to the same dir as sendmap20) the above .img map tiles from Computerteddy's site - http://osm.ammit.de/osm/latest/img/

4. Unzip each of the files to get the .img files

5. Connect your gps via USB, switch it on.  Open a DOS window, cd to the sendmap20 dir and run the command line from step 2 but remove the -l parameter so for the 6 tiles for SE Eng that is;
sendmap20 63272362.img 63272361.img 63272542.img 63272541.img 63272722.img 63272721.img

That's it, the maps appeared in my GPS.  Those 6 tiles used approx 12mb space (those that didn't include a lot of sea were about 7mb each).

The tiles on Computerteddy's site are refreshed once a month so you'd have to repeat steps 2 to 5 periodically to keep up to date.

Thanks for this. As I couldn't get the maps to install using Windows, I've installed ubuntu especially for this! I've got as far as accessing the directory in the terminal but cannot "run the command line from step 2".
 What exactly do I type? I'm currently looking at a command prompt

stuart@ubuntu:~/Documents$

which is where I've unzipped all the files to....

Excuse my ignorance, whole new world to me!!!!!!!!!!!

David Martin

« Reply #70 on: 04 January, 2009, 02:03:28 pm »
Dammit.. Just checked the roads in Glen Isla - or lack of them. And most of Blairgowrie, and all of Alyth are missing.

Looks like a lot of riding to do.

..d

Found a GPS trace from last year. Some new roads magically appear on OSM. What I must do is to get a GPS that I can waypoint with a button (Like a Qstarz 1000) so I can tag locations like cattle grids without stopping and faffing.

It really is easy. If you can record GPS traces, please do and upload them. Then either you or someone else can trace them.

Especially in greater Tayside, please..

..d

tonycollinet

« Reply #71 on: 04 January, 2009, 03:22:03 pm »
Is OSM site down at the moment - I was going to create an account - but can't get to it.

EDIT: Back now.

« Reply #72 on: 04 January, 2009, 04:05:32 pm »
OK, I'm playing around with the OSM maps and Mapsource...

I don't own Mapsource but I found a trick online to get it. First go to Garmin: Garmin Training Center™ and download and install the free version of Training Centre.

Once installed you won't see Mapsource, but Training Centre contains enough of the backend gubbins of Mapsource that the Mapsource updates think it is installed.

Then go to Garmin: MapSource Updates & Downloads and download the update to Mapsource 6.14.1. Once you've installed this you can run Mapsource (but only with the basic maps).

Then I went here: OpenStreetMap for Garmin - Download and downloaded the UK-Ireland OSM maps (with the installer as it makes it easier).

I've also downloaded all of the SMC topo data and got it installed in Mapsource using the instructions here: SMC Contour maps - Installation Guide (you may need to edit the .reg file to change the path to C:\\Garmin\\ as mine installed here and not in ...Program Files\Garmin...)

However I still can't get a Profile Plot of a route I've drawn within Mapsource. Must continue to play...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

inc

« Reply #73 on: 04 January, 2009, 04:41:11 pm »

Thanks for this. As I couldn't get the maps to install using Windows, I've installed ubuntu especially for this!

Like all things open source there are other options, MKgmap is a Java application ( all OS ) written by the originator of OSM you can install it yourself but it is in the Debian repros. This application only creates the img maps but since the maps can only be used on units with mass storage you can just drag and drop them, no need for a usb connection.

Mkgmap - OpenStreetMap

« Reply #74 on: 04 January, 2009, 05:01:52 pm »
For folk wanting to add to OSM, it works much better if you set your GPS to record as often as possible - a point every second. You need to be logging your tracks to SD card for this to not be a nuisance.
I find a small digital voice recorder useful, and that it's easier to record the location of a roadside object such as a phone box by riding in a small circle than by mucking about marking waypoints.

Another point is that if you've got a good cycling GPS trace, it's handy to check existing OSM roads against it. What's there could have come from an automatic recording of a car journey or from a scan of an out of copyright OS map (usually tagged as source=NPE (New Popular Edition), and the accuracy may not be that good.