Author Topic: Anyone tried simulation mode?  (Read 1460 times)

Anyone tried simulation mode?
« on: 10 May, 2012, 07:05:37 pm »
Anyone tried simulation mode on the eTrex10/20/30?  All the manual (ha!) says about it is to turn off the satellite use function and then select a location on the map, without any indication of what purpose this might serve.

However, one of the youtube videos seems to show use of simulation mode to dynamically move along a track/route and watch the unit respond as a waypoint is neared. See round 10:17 on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByeCJfan-Uw
There is no hint in the manual of the eTrex30 that anything as comprehensive as this is possible. 

Could save an awful lot of riding round the block in the rain to see if the latest technique works!  Or have I completely misunderstood what I think I saw?

--
Bryn

Re: Anyone tried simulation mode?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2012, 07:31:46 pm »
I thought the whole point of buying a bike GPS was to do loads of extra mileage testing it and get fitter in the process?  ;D

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2012, 08:22:29 pm »
Wot she said. 
I have an Oregon and it certainly works like you suggest in the demo mode.  But it is far nicer and less confusing to go for a walk or bike ride and play with the thing.

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
Wot she said. 
I have an Oregon and it certainly works like you suggest in the demo mode.  But it is far nicer and less confusing to go for a walk or bike ride and play with the thing.

I tried that.  The backlight didn't come on when it should have.  It was dark.  It was raining.

I'm just surprised that this apparently powerful function doesn't get much mention in the manual or on this site :)

--
Bryn

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2012, 06:55:30 am »
My impression of Garmin manuals over the years is that 70 per cent of the stuff you need to know isn't mentioned!

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2012, 08:53:38 am »

I tried that.  The backlight didn't come on when it should have.  It was dark.  It was raining.

I seem to remember you need to keep up a decent speed for a distance of approach or it doesn't bother.  ::-)  Something to do with estimating time to destination, I suspect.