Author Topic: San Francisco to LA....  (Read 2740 times)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
San Francisco to LA....
« on: 22 October, 2018, 07:20:28 am »
...is what I should be riding right now. Unfortunately, I had an accident and badly sprained an ankle, so I can’t even walk, let alone ride. However, my friend Katie Butler - you may know her as Katie Kookaburra on YouTube - is riding in my place. The ride is for charity, and there’s a link on Katie’s YT page to donate if you wish (pretty please!), but please enjoy her videos of the ride....

YouTube

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: San Francisco to LA....
« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2018, 04:32:23 pm »
That ride across the Golden Gate Bridge is always a lot of fun. I don't think people realise how long it is!

I hope they've found a better surfaced route into LA than the one I took a couple of months ago. Following the Pacific Coast bike path, I broke my record for punctures (something new each time) and eventually ran out of both spare tubes AND patches. I did 15 miles very slowly on a flat front tyre until a passing club rider stopped and donated a spare tube. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

TimC

« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:43:58 am »
Not going anywhere near the Pacific Coast! As you’ll see from the Day 2 video, they’re up at South Lake Tahoe, having ridden from Truckee. Maxed out at around 2100m up today.

I’m trying to mirror the ride as much as I can on my turbo using Zwift. I managed 77.3km and 980m of climbing in 2hr 40. They did around 77k and 750m in about an hour longer - but their climbing was much more sustained. I doubt I’ll match them today; should be around 170km with a load more climbing!

Day 2 video

TimC

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:12:11 am »
Day 3

YouTube

I only managed 63km of the Zwift Mega Pretzel (got away from NYC!) before I had to call it a day.

I’m probably talking to myself here, but if Katie gets a couple of new subscribers that would be great. Her enthusiasm is just brilliant, and she’s single-handedly bringing so many new people into road cycling.

TimC

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2018, 10:03:12 am »
Day 4

It would appear that I am indeed talking to myself, but I'll persevere! I'm guessing they're out of internet coverage - at least as far as uploading videos go. I know from direct contact that they did complete the planned 170km yesterday from Bridgeport to Bishop via Mono Lake and June Lake. I managed 100km on Zwift, which was bloody boring apart from the first hour riding with the PACK group.

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2018, 11:04:52 am »
No, you're not

TimC

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2018, 12:50:59 pm »
No, you're not
So I've discovered! And thank you so much!

TimC

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2018, 01:23:03 pm »

TimC

« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2018, 04:33:10 am »

« Reply #9 on: 27 October, 2018, 03:58:51 pm »
So that's why she's doing it. I hope you get better Tim.

TimC

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2018, 02:27:26 am »
So that's why she's doing it. I hope you get better Tim.

Thank you. Me too!

If you’ve seen this as a subscriber of hers, she explains it all in the first video of the trip - in which you have to suffer my ugly face and voice! I may feature in a small way in tomorrow’s also, as the ride comes to an end. I hope those of you who’ve watched Katie on this ride will subscribe and enjoy more of her videos; she’s great fun and very motivating.

Day 7

TimC

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2018, 10:52:10 pm »
The last day

I understand that charity rides aren't highly thought of here, but Katie's videos are incredibly encouraging of and for people who are new to cycling - and also to those of us who've been around for a while. Please do have a look at the videos, and enjoy them - she's fun and very engaging. Obviously, I'm not interested in forcing people to contribute; my choice of charities may well not match yours. But watch the vids, and enjoy Katie's massive enthusiasm - and spare me a thought for having missed this epic ride!