Author Topic: Cycle lanes of Leatherhead  (Read 18388 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Cycle lanes of Leatherhead
« Reply #25 on: 23 March, 2010, 11:20:39 am »
I was wondering whether that was a Pike Rocket in the comic.. Is this the UK's most ridiculous cycle lane? | Latest News | Cycling Weekly (having not followed this thread)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2010, 11:36:24 am »
I was wondering whether that was a Pike Rocket in the comic.. Is this the UK's most ridiculous cycle lane? | Latest News | Cycling Weekly (having not followed this thread)

Good Lord. I took those snaps last night. I haven't yet been home long enough to load them up to the computer (hence I emailled them to Nutty for use on this forum). The cycle lane in question is still being painted. By the wonders of the Internet this "Mole Valley Cycle Group" (dunno who they are) have already found the snaps and sent them to Cycling Weekly for publication.

I'm impressed with the speed of the technology (though it might have been nice for the Mole Valley Cycle Group to tell me they were using my snaps. I could gave got some better ones of the next stage of paint if only I'd known).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #27 on: 23 March, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
You have PM.   

I want to see moar fotos  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #28 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:55:32 pm »
Years ago I attended a lecture on H&S matters, the guy had a good quote along the lines of: 
"Anybody can arrange a simple accident, but a real disaster requires resources and planning" 
I''m somewhat reminded when I see stuff like this.
How many people were invoplved in sanctioning this?  Somebody must have organised a budget, commissioned some designs, organised contractors etc. and still nobody involved in this fisasco has the common sense to stand up and state that this is all rather stupid...

Beggars belief really.  People should be fired for such profligate waste of resources....

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #29 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:05:29 pm »
I was about to second Spesh's praise for the cycleroute out of Dorking to Box Hill, but I was too busy laughing out loud and saying FFS.
As you comeinto Gatwick on the Sustrans route from the North, you find yourself routed behind a bus stop, just after the second tunnel and traffic lights. It is always....fun....weaving through the braindead.

« Reply #30 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:08:21 pm »

The plot thickens...   I've just looked at that photo in streetview.   Am I right in thinking thta they've grubbed up the grass verge in order to lay this tarmac'd cycle path??????

Google Maps

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:16:47 pm »
Good Lord. I took those snaps last night. I haven't yet been home long enough to load them up to the computer (hence I emailled them to Nutty for use on this forum). The cycle lane in question is still being painted. By the wonders of the Internet this "Mole Valley Cycle Group" (dunno who they are) have already found the snaps and sent them to Cycling Weekly for publication.

I'm impressed with the speed of the technology (though it might have been nice for the Mole Valley Cycle Group to tell me they were using my snaps. I could gave got some better ones of the next stage of paint if only I'd known).

Apologies - I blogged it up at 0906 this morning.

Maybe someone picked it up from there and put it on Cycling Weakly?

Their first comment is at 1123, so I can only presume that they found it on here or on my blog.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #32 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:22:16 pm »
The Epsom Guardian is your friend.  It even encourages you to raise stories with them...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #33 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:25:21 pm »
Nutty: they resurfaced all that section of road and pavement about three months ago. I don't know if the pavement resurfacing was expressly for the purpose of the cycle lane, but it (and the adjacent road) was in an appalling state. The wooden bollards were installed then, presumably to block all the school mums who used to drive and park on the pavement.

Charlotte: nah, it wasn't you. I know how the piccies got there.  :)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Regulator

« Reply #34 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:26:35 pm »
Nutty: they resurfaced all that section of road and pavement about three months ago. I don't know if the pavement resurfacing was expressly for the purpose of the cycle lane, but it (and the adjacent road) was in an appalling state. The wooden bollards were installed then, presumably to block all the school mums who used to drive and park on the pavement.

Charlotte: nah, it wasn't you. I know how the piccies got there.  :)

An accident prone someone perchance?   ;D

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #35 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »
Kathy, you have an email (not PM).

I have now been led to believe that this lane is part of a larger project, so that resurfacing 3 months ago might have been them preparing :o

« Reply #36 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:29:10 pm »

The pictures were in the public domain

Regulator

« Reply #37 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:31:28 pm »
I shall raise the farcilities with the CTC Councillors for Surrey....

Green Party Councillor

David Martin

« Reply #38 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:37:13 pm »

The pictures were in the public domain

'On the web' does not equal 'in the public domain'

I am surprised that Photobucket has no copyright statement (unlike Flickr) apart from a general 'all rights reserved' at the bottom of the page.

..d

Zoidburg

« Reply #39 on: 23 March, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »
Whenever I glance at this thread tittle in the main board it always reads as "Cycle Lanes of Death..."

« Reply #40 on: 23 March, 2010, 06:11:59 pm »
How can councils get away with this  ???

They do it all the time. It might be funny if it were only on rare occasions. It isn't.

Nutty may need reminding that the the November 2004 FOTM originated from my camera and was submitted by me to Warrington...

Yes your right, that should have been 'How can councils keep getting away with this'
I feel pig sick that its council tax money just being wasted.

Tim

« Reply #41 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:46:38 am »
Well the painter has now passed the line of wooden bollards visible in one of the pictures.

Sadly he didn't appear to have the inclination to mark chevrons around each one nor to mark up a comedy slalom route but instead the lane is marked with the same straight line on the pedestrian side and a new line on the to the side of the bollards taking you away from the road. Wide it is not, but I suppose it doesn't technically have any obstacles in that section.

Cyclists appear to be continuing as before, either using the road or the pavement.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #42 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »

The plot thickens...   I've just looked at that photo in streetview.   Am I right in thinking thta they've grubbed up the grass verge in order to lay this tarmac'd cycle path??????

Google Maps

It would be a shame if someone painted a big white bike symbol on the left hand side of that pavement....................
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:51:33 pm »
It would.  But surely, surely, no one would do such a thing.

Would they? :thumbsup:
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #44 on: 24 March, 2010, 02:32:58 pm »
No. Paint a car symbol on the pavement and a bike and pedestrian symbol on the road.

..d

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #45 on: 24 March, 2010, 07:59:06 pm »
We need a photo op with a bike that emphasises the narrowness of the lanes.

A bike with a very tall profile, such that it appears thinner than a "normal" bike, ridiculing these lanes.

A bike that will stick in the mind of Joe or Jo Public.

<lightbulb> I know, a Penny Farthing.

Now if only we knew somebody with one.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #46 on: 24 March, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »
It's the chevrons that get me. It's a bit like building a motorway but leaving trees growing out of the tarmac, and making it "ok" by putting warning signs on each tree.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #47 on: 25 March, 2010, 06:18:08 am »
Just had a bit of a random thought.  I wonder if, for shits and giggles, it would be worth reporting the whole thing as a hazard on fillthathole..org.uk?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:48:51 am »
of course.  I've reported at least one 'facility' this way.
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: 25 March, 2010, 10:01:30 am »
<lightbulb> I know, a Penny Farthing.

Now if only we knew somebody with one.

*racks brain*

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk