Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2461601 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #7225 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:00:35 am »

OrangeGina II after shredding a bit of gnar at Dalby (more dusty than mucky, thankfully)

36x17 fixed, may contain the occasional trace of orange.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7226 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:03:02 pm »
Purposeful!  Are those 26" wheels and if so what are the forks?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7227 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:13:09 pm »
No (the clue is in the tyres ;) ) and Salsa Firestarter, respectively.

Salsa still do forks for 26" wheels but I don't think any of them have cage mounts on the legs (the Surly Troll fork does, however) - the Firestarter is the fork that's now specced on the Fargo (and one will be going on my El Mariachi). A baked soot version is available for a mere 550 beer tokens  :o

« Reply #7228 on: 04 July, 2014, 12:57:32 pm »
Are those chopped down midge bars?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7229 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »
They're Midge bars, but resolutely unchopped - the tops are dead level (works for me, etc.etc.)  which makes it look like I've hacked a chunk off the ends.

But I haven't.

To be honest, the drops could do with being a bit longer and for this reason I'm considering a set of Salsa Woodchippers - same sort of width but a bit more of a flare at the ends.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7230 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:07:18 pm »
No (the clue is in the tyres ;) ) and Salsa Firestarter, respectively.

Oh yeah - doh  ::-)

... the Surly Troll fork does, however ...

Good tip!  I might have to buy those!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7231 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:16:57 pm »

I was going to buy a set for the 1x1 but the axle-to-crown on the Troll fork was way too long (443mm - a-c on an 18" 1x1 frame is 413mm; if your frame is 100mm suspension corrected then you're good) - I made a point of asking the distributors whether or not the new (2013-) Troll forks had the cage mounts; they do - older ones apparently don't.

Alternatively, you could have your existing forks modded by a framebuilder - Bob Jacksons quoted me £100 to add cage mounts, remove the existing canti mounts (never used 'em) and respray with a turnaround time of about 3 weeks.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7232 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:32:22 pm »
^ Is that a de-blacked Zefal HPX pump lurking on your seatstay? 8)

it is indeed, took off the end connector, then slid off the lower plastic hand grip, and then nitromoors and wire wool, followed by brasso.  Also modified the end so that it sits on 2 pump pegs properly. :) you obviously have an eye for detail.

:thumbsup: I have 3 HPXs that upset me with their blackness. I bought a silver Silca Impero - but it's rather plastic looking :-\ I shall Blodwynize a Zefal, with your permission? My Longstaff has the seatstay mounting position like your BJ - so note taken re modification of bottom end :thumbsup:

If you want to remove the black plastic lower grip, take out the plunger, then a   v    e    r    y    lonng flat bladed screw driver gets the screw off at the base inside. Then carefully lever off the adapter, DON'T TWIST' it off, the adapter has a 'hex' head to it that sits in a 'hex' shaped hole in the pump body, if you twist it, you'll bugga up the pump body hole.  ;)

« Reply #7233 on: 04 July, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »
They're Midge bars, but resolutely unchopped - the tops are dead level (works for me, etc.etc.)  which makes it look like I've hacked a chunk off the ends.

But I haven't.

To be honest, the drops could do with being a bit longer and for this reason I'm considering a set of Salsa Woodchippers - same sort of width but a bit more of a flare at the ends.

I had mine the same but with black tape, they do look like they've had a couple of inches lopped off with the lighter tape.

Just looked at the woodchippers, nice useable drops.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7234 on: 04 July, 2014, 02:17:49 pm »

I was going to buy a set for the 1x1 but the axle-to-crown on the Troll fork was way too long (443mm - a-c on an 18" 1x1 frame is 413mm; if your frame is 100mm suspension corrected then you're good) - I made a point of asking the distributors whether or not the new (2013-) Troll forks had the cage mounts; they do - older ones apparently don't.

Alternatively, you could have your existing forks modded by a framebuilder - Bob Jacksons quoted me £100 to add cage mounts, remove the existing canti mounts (never used 'em) and respray with a turnaround time of about 3 weeks.

I am thinking about new forks for my 2004 Claud Butler Rock.  The bike started life as a hard tail MTB but is now used mostly on the road so sus front forks are a bit pointless. I have no idea whether the frame is 100mm suspension corrected - how can I tell?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7235 on: 04 July, 2014, 02:26:37 pm »

I am thinking about new forks for my 2004 Claud Butler Rock.  The bike started life as a hard tail MTB but is now used mostly on the road so sus front forks are a bit pointless. I have no idea whether the frame is 100mm suspension corrected - how can I tell?

What forks did it come with? That would be a good starting point if you have them still

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7236 on: 04 July, 2014, 02:39:19 pm »

What forks did it come with? That would be a good starting point if you have them still

Can't remember.  Does the 100mm refer to the amount of fork travel?

PaulF

« Reply #7237 on: 04 July, 2014, 02:46:18 pm »
Yes, that's right. My guess is that a bike of that era would be 70-80mm travel

PaulF

« Reply #7238 on: 04 July, 2014, 02:51:02 pm »
Google suggests that they were Suntour XC60 which had 75mm travel. If you put a 100mm corrected fork on it would slacken the head angle by about half a degree. Whether you'd notice a difference is your call :)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #7239 on: 04 July, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »
^ Is that a de-blacked Zefal HPX pump lurking on your seatstay? 8)

it is indeed, took off the end connector, then slid off the lower plastic hand grip, and then nitromoors and wire wool, followed by brasso.  Also modified the end so that it sits on 2 pump pegs properly. :) you obviously have an eye for detail.

:thumbsup: I have 3 HPXs that upset me with their blackness. I bought a silver Silca Impero - but it's rather plastic looking :-\ I shall Blodwynize a Zefal, with your permission? My Longstaff has the seatstay mounting position like your BJ - so note taken re modification of bottom end :thumbsup:

If you want to remove the black plastic lower grip, take out the plunger, then a   v    e    r    y    lonng flat bladed screw driver gets the screw off at the base inside. Then carefully lever off the adapter, DON'T TWIST' it off, the adapter has a 'hex' head to it that sits in a 'hex' shaped hole in the pump body, if you twist it, you'll bugga up the pump body hole.  ;)

Many thanks for the invaluable advice :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7240 on: 04 July, 2014, 05:18:36 pm »
Found an unusual bike stand today.

I think he needs the saddle bringing down a bit.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7241 on: 04 July, 2014, 05:44:10 pm »
Google suggests that they were Suntour XC60 which had 75mm travel. If you put a 100mm corrected fork on it would slacken the head angle by about half a degree. Whether you'd notice a difference is your call :)
Axle-to-crown measurement on the XC60s was (apparently) 440mm - given that the Troll fork is 453mm1 (not 443mm as I stated earlier) it probably wouldn't throw the geometry that far out of whack.

1 - http://surlybikes.com/parts/forks/troll_fork

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7242 on: 04 July, 2014, 09:03:09 pm »
Excellent info, thanks chaps. I am planning a winter upgrade programme so may well add new forks to the jobs list.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7243 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:37:49 am »
Commuting bike partly fettled:
P7030002 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

P7030001 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7244 on: 05 July, 2014, 01:07:47 pm »
I've put it off and put it off for years...but I wanted Carbon, while I'm still capable of enjoying it.

Fresh back from "Pedal On" in Tadley, Hampshire..my new TREK Domane 4.3

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7245 on: 05 July, 2014, 06:30:24 pm »
at the top of risoul climb - stage finish of tdf in two weeks time:

« Reply #7246 on: 05 July, 2014, 09:39:49 pm »
Update time

Dawes Horizon, all set up and riding well.

And finished the Dahon today, took it off the road early in December as was not sure on keeping it, but all rebuilt with new wheels etc, quick test ride tonight all ok.

« Reply #7247 on: 06 July, 2014, 12:48:25 pm »
New one- Surly Pacer (Tiagra build), almost had to buy it- was a bargain (£400 off original price). When the LBS first built it I noted it, thought about it, then forgot about it. Recently wanted a  bike for day rides and light touring and found out they hadn't sold it a year and a half later.

Will soon fit with 'guards, may eventually have a wheel built with hub dynamo. Not yet sure whether to go with a rack (no rack attachments on this, so P-clips or a seatpost collar mount needed) or a big ol' saddlebag.

Rides nice.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #7248 on: 06 July, 2014, 08:38:49 pm »
Update time

Dawes Horizon, all set up and riding well.

And finished the Dahon today, took it off the road early in December as was not sure on keeping it, but all rebuilt with new wheels etc, quick test ride tonight all ok.

I thought you sold that Horizon?

« Reply #7249 on: 06 July, 2014, 11:43:53 pm »
I thought you sold that Horizon?

It is the 3rd one that I have had, yes I did try selling the frame but had no luck so rebuilt it.