Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2461181 times)

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8075 on: 14 March, 2016, 03:43:11 pm »
The rim of that plant pot is playing tricks on me.  It looks like a hoop through the spokes to me.

Not just you...

Have been practicing to get into the Magic Circle. ;)

« Reply #8076 on: 14 March, 2016, 03:45:15 pm »
The rim of that plant pot is playing tricks on me.  It looks like a hoop through the spokes to me.

Not just you...

Have been practicing to get into the Magic Circle. ;)

I think you're in.

« Reply #8077 on: 14 March, 2016, 04:04:53 pm »

Not just you...
Absolutely not just you. That was my very first impression on looking at that photo.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8078 on: 14 March, 2016, 04:31:30 pm »
True to form I completely missed the optical illusion. You lot are way too observant.

menthel

« Reply #8079 on: 14 March, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »
I am glad my magic wheel has amused so many. If you stare at it hard enough a sailboat appears...

(Extra points for the obscure film reference...) ;)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8080 on: 14 March, 2016, 05:42:44 pm »
I am glad my magic wheel has amused so many. If you stare at it hard enough a sailboat appears...

Debbie Does Dallas?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8081 on: 14 March, 2016, 05:43:50 pm »
Oh no, here we go  ;D

menthel

« Reply #8082 on: 14 March, 2016, 06:06:33 pm »

Debbie Does Dallas?

Nope!

Relayer

« Reply #8083 on: 16 March, 2016, 12:39:46 pm »
My new baby:

image by robhall, on Flickr

Nice!! 

Looks like a Gebla Rohbox too, how are you getting on with that?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8084 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:16:29 am »
My "new" £20 pub bike.

A Specialized Crosstrail.

Will spend some time cleaning it up but it appears mostly dirty rather than rusty.

« Reply #8085 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:27:53 am »
My new baby:

Nice!! 

Looks like a Gebla Rohbox too, how are you getting on with that?
The Rohbox took a little getting used to, but I have no complaints. The movement required to make a change is greater than the equivalent on the Campag 10 speed setup on my other bike, but I can live with that. The Stoater is a very comfortable bike :-)

« Reply #8086 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:55:57 pm »
Interested to hear if you found the rohloff or the belt drive any less efficient than chain and derailleurs ?

« Reply #8087 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:26:49 pm »
Not sure how I can judge the efficiency. I can say that I am slower, on both the Stoater and my traditional deraileur-geared bike, but I put that down to the fact that I'm coming back after a knee replacement and I'm a bit older than I was. I can also say that, purely subjectively, the Gates belt drive feels very smooth and it feels like the effort is being put to good use. This may be down to the stiffness of the frame. When I visited the workshop, Steven Shand explained to me that frames built for use with a Gates carbon belt drive need to be designed and built with a minimum of flex around the bottom bracket and through the chain stay, as the alignment of the belt is critical. I think I can confidently say that he has resolved that issue. Plus, the Stoater is a very comfortable bike to ride.

As for the Rohloff, I've used them before and, imho, you either love them for what they are despite the weight penalty, or you don't. I wasn't looking for speed when I commissioned this bike; I wanted something robust, and I think the combination of a Gates belt drive and a Rohloff transmission fits that bill.

Overall, the Stoater is a delight to ride, and the way that the frame has been designed to accommodate the equipment, and its superb build quality, puts a very happy smile on my face. (These pictures don't really do it justice, as the front pannier rack makes it look a mess.)

« Reply #8088 on: 18 March, 2016, 09:22:16 am »
Interesting on the belt drive frame. I kind of fell out of love with my rohloff over time, but I was always trying to hurry it along on my commute, and felt it was slow. It was a slow bike though.  I think if Id been more relaxed with it, I'd have liked it more.
Its all subjective as you say.  Its a really nice looking bike.

« Reply #8089 on: 18 March, 2016, 02:34:19 pm »
Here's my latest.....the kingfisher....

finished sunday.....nice evening to take some pictures of her last night!

kingfisher by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

kingcathedral by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8090 on: 18 March, 2016, 03:02:31 pm »
Niiice!
Getting there...

« Reply #8091 on: 18 March, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »
An oldie I found....

My 1955 Claud Butler fixed, raw steel ratty/cafe racer styled

1955 Claud Butler_ by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

Claud Butler 2 by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

1955 Claud Butler by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8092 on: 18 March, 2016, 05:22:31 pm »
Doesn't look ratty to me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8093 on: 18 March, 2016, 05:57:29 pm »
Here's my latest.....the kingfisher....

finished sunday.....nice evening to take some pictures of her last night!

kingfisher by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr

kingcathedral by Mike Clampitt, on Flickr
My home town.  Great cycling around there.  Nice shots of a nice bike.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8094 on: 21 March, 2016, 11:40:35 am »
Interesting on the belt drive frame. I kind of fell out of love with my rohloff over time, but I was always trying to hurry it along on my commute, and felt it was slow. It was a slow bike though.  I think if Id been more relaxed with it, I'd have liked it more.

I have a Thorn Raven Tour.  It's heavy and slow (although I managed an SR series on it). 

Like you say, they can't seem to be hurried but that may be down to the bike-builds they are typically used in.

I can confirm however that, once you load mine up with panniers, and relax into the inevitable slow pace, it comes into its own and becomes an extremely pleasant place to spend the day.

As for using a Rohloff for a reliable day-to-day bike, I think I'd rather build a 1x9 derailleur setup, SORA perhaps.  Bullet-proof and cheap as chips to keep it going.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8095 on: 21 March, 2016, 12:45:00 pm »
It's interesting what you say about your Thorn LEE. How heavy is it? My Surly Disc Trucker is 18kg so now lightweight but it's never felt like a heavy bike unladened and loaded it's a joy too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8096 on: 21 March, 2016, 01:24:49 pm »
It's interesting what you say about your Thorn LEE. How heavy is it? My Surly Disc Trucker is 18kg so now lightweight but it's never felt like a heavy bike unladened and loaded it's a joy too.

Wow, how does a bike get so heavy without a seat or bouncy bits?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8097 on: 21 March, 2016, 01:38:40 pm »
I think its mostly down to bombproof wheels and tyres.  I'm getting lighter wheels and tyres so it'll be interesting to see what difference it makes.

Chris N

« Reply #8098 on: 23 March, 2016, 08:32:32 am »

Escapade in rando-commute mode.

« Reply #8099 on: 23 March, 2016, 09:34:37 am »

I have a Thorn Raven Tour.  It's heavy and slow (although I managed an SR series on it). 

Like you say, they can't seem to be hurried but that may be down to the bike-builds they are typically used in.

I can confirm however that, once you load mine up with panniers, and relax into the inevitable slow pace, it comes into its own and becomes an extremely pleasant place to spend the day.

As for using a Rohloff for a reliable day-to-day bike, I think I'd rather build a 1x9 derailleur setup, SORA perhaps.  Bullet-proof and cheap as chips to keep it going.

I use my Thorn Rolhoff everyday, it's a lovely bike to ride in on, yeah it's not the fastest bike but it's comfy and covers the 300km of commuting a week I do.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.