Author Topic: replacement brake blocks - recommendations  (Read 11287 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: replacement brake blocks - recommendations
« Reply #25 on: 02 August, 2012, 04:11:27 am »
I am tempted to give these a go, anyone got any experience?

http://www.discobrakes.com/?p=464&
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:17:55 am »
I am tempted to give these a go, anyone got any experience?

Yes, and they less grit and metal embedded in them than all the other makes I've ever tried, so are worth using for that reason alone, IMO.  The Salmon compound is best.  The Continental model doesn't provide any orbital adjustment, though.  The Dura model (with replaceable pads) is expensive but nice.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:25:12 am »
I used to have problems with close clearance cantis and the tail on Koolstops.  But, that aside (and that bike is,  sadly, no more), the only issue is the fact that they squeal like a pig unless you toe them in carefully and are very lucky.
Getting there...

« Reply #28 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:27:28 am »
Another vote for KoolStops Dual compound.
Koolstops are the only blocks I've had on my Brompton that give me any confidence it will stop at the bottom of a hill.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #29 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:30:11 am »
I used to have problems with close clearance cantis and the tail on Koolstops.  But, that aside (and that bike is,  sadly, no more), the only issue is the fact that they squeal like a pig unless you toe them in carefully and are very lucky.

It's much louder than a pig!  But the squealing problem only happens with the larger blocks, in my experience so far, not the relatively little ones for road bikes.  That is unless you get grease on them.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #30 on: 02 August, 2012, 08:38:19 am »
Err...£10 to £30 for a couple of bits of moulded rubber... or is this a case of marketing departments coming up with rip-off prices based on what they think people will pay?

They're probably too cheap for some people, but Wilko "BMX Brake Pads", marked "Alhonga", work OK and are more reasonably priced at about 75p for a pair  :D

I'd push out the boat and suggest either Tesco or Asda own brand. Slightly more expensive at around £2 per pair but very effective. I don't really see the need to spend a fortune on two bits of rubber set on a steel bolt.

I understand that their are various rubber compounds and that some will contain more or less grit or be softer or more cured rubber, but apart from that the only benefits of the more expensive blocks seem to be the ability to replace the rubber without adjusting the block.

The rest is just clever marketing.  The important thing is the quality of your levers, cables and calipers. Its all in the rigidity of the components not the type of pads you have.

Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #31 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:18:26 am »
Use Koolstop V-brake pads on the Dahon Speed Pro and noticed an improvement on whateever Dahon in it's "wisdom" had specified. Happy with them.

The steel hybrid/quasi tourer now has Fibrax on the front cantilevers - cheap and cheerful, got them from the ever-excellent Edinburgh Bike Co-Op.

Tend to think urban biker may be right - once you get away from the clearly cr*p stuff, I find it hard to believe that some premium pads are worth the money - so much mystification and b**sh*t about bikes these days I fear unless you are a racer.

The back cantilevers came from discobrakes at a minimal minimal price and also seem good so far. On a quick glance they looked similar to Fibrax - I must have a closer look.

Magura rim brakes on my Cannondale are truly excellent though I realised considered somewhat passe these days.

Got some   

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:21:28 am »
Having made a few Pennine descents, I do value good brakes and good brake pads very highly.
Getting there...

« Reply #33 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:46:51 am »
I've Koolstops on most of my bikes. They last, don't eat the rims, brake well, and last.

On my Dave Yates (caliper brakes) I've had salmon inserts on for yonks. I can't remember when I fitted them, but it's a high-mileage audax bike which gets used in all conditions and they must have been on there for a couple of years.

Don't get the Koolstop holders, though. They are utterly rubbish. There's about 1 mm of metal to tighten the holder onto the brake, which rounds off as soon as an Allen key is in the same room. I use the pads in some other holders (probably Shimano or Tektro).

On my tourer (v-brakes), the front pads (black Koolstops - I couldn't find the salmon ones) have lasted at least 12,000 miles and possibly 15,000. They're still on there. The rears don't last as long - I fitted a new set in Istanbul and replaced them when I got home, so about 7,000 miles.

I did try some Asda blocks on the rear, which braked well and didn't eat the rims, but they needed replacing after less than 2,000 miles. They also come as a full unit, so replacing them is a bit more fiddly than just swapping out a couple of pads and pins. There's also a slight weight penalty if you want to carry spares.

I haven't noticed the squealing issue, and though six or seven quid for some moulded rubber seems a bit daft, they are economical and effective. I'll keep using them.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #34 on: 02 August, 2012, 12:01:42 pm »
Several well informed and canny YACFers use pads from  Discobrakes.

They nicely demonstrate the nonsense of 'premium' brands such as Salmon, Koolstop et al.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #35 on: 02 August, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »
Don't get the Koolstop holders, though. They are utterly rubbish.

:o   I like them so much that I have them on all four of my bikes! (Dura model).  They're shiny, light, and provide more adjustment than many others, and pads slide in and out easily, unlike with many others.  Sheldon Brown was a fan, too.

The main bolts have been beefed up in recent years, with larger and deeper hex heads.  Anyway, the older lighter ones only rounded when over-tightened, IME.  The tiny little screws to lock the pads in do still round too easily, but you can use alternative screws or threadlock.  Tip: for shallow sockets, use basic allen keys rather than chamfered ones.

« Reply #36 on: 02 August, 2012, 12:15:03 pm »
I'm glad they've changed them! Mine are in the bin years since..

« Reply #37 on: 02 August, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »
Ashima from any good online retailer, eg http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ashima-v-brake-70mm-one-piece-brake-shoe/.  Better than the standard Shimano cheapos. 

Not that I've tried kool/swiss-stop-tastics, but then the Ashimas can put me over the bars with little effort if set up and maintained correctly so they're good enough for me. 

I am considering an upgrade to these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ashima-v-brake-blocks-one-piece-design-3-function-prod25885/, for my current BSO upgrade (pointless fiddling about sow's ear project) but my prepared-to-be-disappointed-doubt meter needle is twitching at the thought of it.

Still, in for a penny... 

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #38 on: 02 August, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »
Ashima from any good online retailer, eg http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ashima-v-brake-70mm-one-piece-brake-shoe/.  Better than the standard Shimano cheapos. 

Not that I've tried kool/swiss-stop-tastics, but then the Ashimas can put me over the bars with little effort if set up and maintained correctly so they're good enough for me. 

I am considering an upgrade to these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ashima-v-brake-blocks-one-piece-design-3-function-prod25885/, for my current BSO upgrade (pointless fiddling about sow's ear project) but my prepared-to-be-disappointed-doubt meter needle is twitching at the thought of it.

Still, in for a penny...
Sorry, but I wouldn't touch Ashima (again) with a barge pole,  see post on page 1 of this thread.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 02 August, 2012, 03:12:01 pm »
On my tourer (v-brakes), the front pads (black Koolstops - I couldn't find the salmon ones) have lasted at least 12,000 miles and possibly 15,000. They're still on there. The rears don't last as long - I fitted a new set in Istanbul and replaced them when I got home, so about 7,000 miles.
I've just twigged that salmon refers to the colour!  :facepalm: In which case I'm not sure I've ever seen them anywhere.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 02 August, 2012, 03:14:02 pm »
They all end up brake-coloured soon enough...   :)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #41 on: 02 August, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »
I've just twigged that salmon refers to the colour!  :facepalm: In which case I'm not sure I've ever seen them anywhere.

Wiggle
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium