Author Topic: Terra Nova Laser Space 2  (Read 4613 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Terra Nova Laser Space 2
« on: 28 October, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »
These are currently on a very special offer, reduced from £595 to £295.

I have bought one. It's an end-of-line sale.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-space-2-tent/

I suppose the cynic in me should be asking "Why are they not making any more? A backpacking tent you can stand up in? Nirvana! There must be some catch..."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Terra Nova Laser Space 2
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:32:35 pm »
Interesting...

(I suspect the wrong kind of interesting in excessively windy conditions.)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:36:56 pm »
If you'd asked, I'd have told you what mine is like  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:40:10 pm »
My thinking is this: my future as a cycle camper will be without Mrs. Wow as she has a real problem with a tent you can't stand up in, especially at bladder o'clock. This is why we bought the Icarus 500.

However, the Terra Nova Space 2 is a bit lighter than our Hilleberg Nallo and you can stand up in it! This may give us a new lease of life re cycle camping and in any case could well be a suitable alternative to the Hilleberg Nallo when I'm on my own. I really have a bit too much space in the Nallo and, as last Friday demonstrated, I have a habit of rolling off the downmat, which is annoying. If I find that I have a surfeit of quality tents, then I reckon I may well get more for the Nallo than I paid for the Space 2.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2014, 04:41:18 pm »
If you'd asked, I'd have told you what mine is like  :)

I saw your photo of it and that you can stand up in it! You are taller than I am (I think) and I'm taller than Mrs. Wow...

So, OK, what's it like?  :P

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
I fancy, but can't afford, the laser space 5. I think one of the problems that both have is that they tend to be reviewed by young men who don't see the point or understand that people might want to backpack or cycle camp whilst not being flexible or suffering from cramps or having a family.

That's a good bargain wowbagger :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2014, 05:03:59 pm »
OK -

It is light, so makes carrying stuff to a camp easy*. I've not tried it on the bike yet.
I can stand up in it - 6'2"
There is space to put a bike in the porch area, or a chair or two.
It is easy to pitch - except, see below
There's a back door and that's what I tend to use for watering hedges.
I bought a footprint for it too, and am glad I did, considering some of the festival fields I've camped in

Downsides
The inner is comfy for two people.
Whilst a simple pitch is easy, if the weather is windy you can be out there sticking pegs in for a long time. This must be to give it stability, considering its height.
The pegs it comes with are the normal silly weight saving TerraNova ones ,so I purchased three sets of those blue 'Y' sectioned pegs which have made a big difference.

*It's great to be able to carry tent, rucksac, bed, sleeping bag and other gubbins to the pitch whilst all around you are struggling with tons of kit.

edit - yes, that's a good price. I paid £299 for ours.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »
I suppose the cynic in me should be asking "Why are they not making any more? A backpacking tent you can stand up in? Nirvana! There must be some catch..."

A very niche product, I'd say. So low volume sales.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »
I fancy, but can't afford, the laser space 5. I think one of the problems that both have is that they tend to be reviewed by young men who don't see the point or understand that people might want to backpack or cycle camp whilst not being flexible or suffering from cramps or having a family.

Seems likely.  I can imagine the odd caver or mountain biker or whatever might value the standing room for changing out of muddy kit, but that's always going to be a minority.  Not surprising they don't sell well.

ETA: Crosspost with Jaded.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #9 on: 29 October, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
I camped in a gale in my WC Zephros a couple of weeks ago on the west Highland Way. It was interesting! The instructions recomend putting it side on to the wind, so the outer was blowing onto the inner and my face most of the night.

I wouldn't like to see what a string gale doe to this tent!
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »
On a very windy day at Bakewell I watched a TN staff member trying to erect one. She had a lot of trouble getting it right. Up until then I had considered one for but this episode put me off. I got the Wickiup 4 instead.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #11 on: 30 October, 2014, 11:55:12 am »
I'm a bit sceptical about the TN ls2 standing up to gales, but I suspect the ventilation is designed so that strong winds blow between the inner and outer, stiffening the structure.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 30 October, 2014, 10:49:25 pm »
Mine arrived today.

The main pole is a remarkable piece of work. It's about half an inch in diameter and 16' or so long. It has to be, of course because the middle of the tent is 6' above the ground.

By contrast the two other poles are about 3' long and the normal DAC thickness, as per Hilleberg Nallo. I might take it to the park tomorrow to see how well it pitches. I still don't trust my calf muscle else I might find a friendly little camp site and have a day out!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #13 on: 30 October, 2014, 11:00:32 pm »
It's probably how they recommend it, but I thread the big pole through, then peg one or two of the 'end' guys in, (two if it is windy) then stand the pole hoop up, and then peg in one or two of the other 'end' guys. That gives enough stability to do the rest. You don't need that many lines used when it is not windy, I probably have 1/3rd not used. The small poles are used when you do the inner.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14 on: 04 November, 2014, 03:27:52 pm »
I have the Zephros, a single person tent which is a lot smaller. It has a strap which links the two ends of the peg straps. Think of a capital D on its back, the strap is the straight edge. I peg the opposite end into the ground and slide the pole in from the my end. With peg handy as the pole goes in I peg that end down. The hoop then sits flat with the bend in, on the ground over to one side. I peg in on end of the (on yours) flat wall, and pull on the other end which raises the tent.

How does this tent work? does the side of the tent slide up to form a door?

So does this tent not have the straight edge of the D?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #15 on: 05 November, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »
I might take it to the park tomorrow to see how well it pitches.

Checks Southend papers for news of Wow being arrested for setting up a protest camp....  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 05 November, 2014, 09:46:44 pm »
...or being blown out to sea?