Author Topic: Aldi £20 tent.  (Read 3582 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Aldi £20 tent.
« on: 08 June, 2015, 12:59:37 pm »
I passed Aldi last weekend and had a look at their camping/cycling kit. As usual its cheap and I passed most of it by but had a little lok at the tent. I imagine its cheap and nasty but later googled a video of a chap showing it put up and camped in. I have a Wild Country Zephros1 so this little tent wasn't on my shopping list but having watched the video I'm curious about it now, if only for my two small boys on camping tips. Has anyone bought one?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Otto

• Biking Bad
Re: Aldi £20 tent.
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »
I bought one on a whim... Only pitched it in the garden, goes up really quickly and is of reasonable quality have yet to try it out in anger. Plus it only weighs 1.5kg.

Can't think that I would take it up Helvelyn but for summer camping it should be fine

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:11:11 pm »
I passed Aldi last weekend and had a look at their camping/cycling kit. As usual its cheap and I passed most of it by but had a little lok at the tent. I imagine its cheap and nasty but later googled a video of a chap showing it put up and camped in. I have a Wild Country Zephros1 so this little tent wasn't on my shopping list but having watched the video I'm curious about it now, if only for my two small boys on camping tips. Has anyone bought one?

Such is the advancement in materials technology that its probably better than something that cost £200 thirty years ago.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »
You can get it elsewhere from £10-15 under a different name.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:00:08 pm »
Our (Ely) Aldi has a load of these at £12.99...

...so I got one.  :smug:

I've heard of problems with the pole splitting - I wonder if anybody has complained about this under the 3 year guarantee?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:23:25 pm »
I picked up one for a friend from Aldi last Monday for £15 so that last week's cycle camping trip wouldn't be spoiled by the fact that their posh new tent was lost somewhere in the postal system.  After five days round Wales the verdict was  -  very good for £15.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2015, 08:11:43 am »
Would a 6'4" fella fit in there?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:42:53 am »
I haven't tried it out yet (I'm only 6'2") - yesterday evening I was busy re-proofing and drying a 2 man tent so Grandson can experience camping. - Busy again tonight, so I'll try Wednesday if it's dry.

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2015, 10:58:36 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2015, 11:15:50 pm »
Just spotted this series of videos to pimp them up a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4K825Hih1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuXDMvpTe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfcQX1Aaxmw

Ooh, thanks for that Nikki! There's lots of useful information on there about sewing technical fabrics. I'll watch them in greater detail later. I could do with some lessons from him!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:55:42 am »
A bonus tarp awning in the second one, too!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2015, 11:12:41 pm »
I put the £20 £12.99 Aldi tent up tonight, and wasn't impressed. I have one of the Argos one-man tents from a few years ago, and I suppose I was expecting a green version of that.  :-\

The Aldi tent has a fibreglass pole with steel ferrules and steel wire pegs, whereas the Argos one has Aluminium alloy poles and pegs.

The Aldi tent has a 'noisy, crumply' tarp style groundsheet, whereas the Argos one has a more 'rubbery' groundsheet.

The Aldi tent's inner is a coffin shaped groundsheet with, mostly mosquito net walls.

The main problem I have with the Aldi tent is the size. Lying in it flat on my back, my feet touched the inner and the inner sagged down at the head end almost touching my face. I think I need to do the tensioning mod for the head end shown in the second video that Nikki posted.

Being so small (the tent - not me), I find the entrance on the side is difficult to access.

This tent, sort of fills the gap between 'tarp bivi-ing' and a proper tent...

...if there is such a gap.  :-\

The only thing the Aldi tent beats the Argos tent on is lack of orangeness-ness.  :demon: